U.S. WWII fighter plane found on coast of Wales

Old November 15th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
AJ

Default U.S. WWII fighter plane found on coast of Wales

Link to the NY Daily News story, with two photos:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_r...coast_of_.html
Old November 15th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

AJ wrote in
:

Link to the NY Daily News story, with two photos:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_r...-11-15_us_wwii
_fighter_plane_found_on_coast_of_.html

Yes, apparently it's the oldest known surviving '38

Bertie
Old November 15th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Odd how they'd be concerned with onboard fuel. You'd think by now it
either leaked out or has been contaminated by seawater and rendered
inert?
Old November 15th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article
,
Kingfish wrote:

Odd how they'd be concerned with onboard fuel. You'd think by now it
either leaked out or has been contaminated by seawater and rendered
inert?

Even odder is that the article says, "a fuel supply error forced him to
make an emergency landing on the beach near Harlech". I read "fuel supply
error" as "running out of fuel". My guess is they're just trying to scare
the souvenir seekers away.
Old November 15th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article
,
Kingfish wrote:

Odd how they'd be concerned with onboard fuel. You'd think by now it
either leaked out or has been contaminated by seawater and rendered
inert?

Even odder is that the article says, "a fuel supply error forced him to
make an emergency landing on the beach near Harlech". I read "fuel supply
error" as "running out of fuel". My guess is they're just trying to scare
the souvenir seekers away.

Good catch, that is funny.

---------------------------------------
DW

Old November 15th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jeff Dougherty

On Nov 15, 9:33 am, Roy Smith wrote:
In article
,

Kingfish wrote:
Odd how they'd be concerned with onboard fuel. You'd think by now it
either leaked out or has been contaminated by seawater and rendered
inert?

Even odder is that the article says, "a fuel supply error forced him to
make an emergency landing on the beach near Harlech". I read "fuel supply
error" as "running out of fuel". My guess is they're just trying to scare
the souvenir seekers away.

Unless, perhaps, by "error" they mean "malfunction"? Just
speculating, but: the P-38 had main and reserve tanks for each
engine. If for some reason the pilot waited too long to test his
ability to switch from main to reserve and was then unable to do so,
he might find himself having to land in an awful hurry. That could
also have caused it to land with a fair amount of fuel on board. I
don't know how the switching was handled on the -38, so I don't know
how likely a malfunction this was- switching failure on both engines
doesn't sound very likely but if there were common components between
both fuel systems one of those could have failed.

Granted, it would be poor technique to wait until your gas in one set
of tanks was gone to see if you could switch to the others, but
mistakes do happen.

-JTD

Old November 15th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:33:07 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

In article
,
Kingfish wrote:

Odd how they'd be concerned with onboard fuel. You'd think by now it
either leaked out or has been contaminated by seawater and rendered
inert?

Just as amusing is the statement "It still has a lot of high-octane
fuel onboard, so it's important that the public doesn't go near it,"
as if high octane fuel is somehow more dangerous than low octane
fuel...

Unless they're concerned about the lead, which I doubt.

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
What has four legs and an arm? A happy pit bull.

Old November 16th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"BT" wrote in :

mm... all that time in the water does not sound like "surviving"=

Depends on the defintion applied of course. I wouldn't say they'll get it
flying, somehow.

Bertie
Old November 16th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dana M. Hague" d(dash)m(dash)hague(at)comcast(dot)net wrote in message

Just as amusing is the statement "It still has a lot of high-octane
fuel onboard, so it's important that the public doesn't go near it,"
as if high octane fuel is somehow more dangerous than low octane
fuel...

Unless they're concerned about the lead, which I doubt.

What fuel?

"On September 27, 1942, fuel exhaustion during a training mission forced 2nd
Lt Robert Fred Elliot to land the large twin-engine fighter in shallow water
on the beach."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nort...5578-20072078/