Black Friday deal from Spot

Old November 23rd 12, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default Black Friday deal from Spot

It amounts to a "free" spot 2 with service activation.

http://tinyurl.com/bfm2vsg
Old November 23rd 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I just learned about the deal today myself. Thanks for posting it Evan. It
is a great deal. Just buy a SPOT-2 from your favorite retailer at the
normal $99.95 price and also buy online 1 year of service with tracking (in
the form of a service gift card) for the normal $149.95 price and there is a
mail-in rebate for the price of the SPOT-2 ($99.95). The rebate is in the
form of a Visa credit card. But the SPOT-2 and service gift card must be
ordered between Nov. 23rd and Nov. 26, 2012.

The service give card must be ordered at www.findmespot.com/BlackFriday
between Nov. 23 and Nov. 26, 2012.

The SPOT-2 can be ordered from my web site at:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/spot.htm
It must be ordered between Nov. 23 and Nov. 26th, 2012.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 23rd 12, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

On Friday, November 23, 2012 10:26:15 AM UTC-5, Paul Remde wrote:
[...]

Hi Paul, Is the Visa card a real visa account, or sort of a gift card thing? Sounds like I might jump on this one. ... Aaron
Old November 24th 12, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Aaron,

The mail-in rebate is for a Visa gift card in the amount that you paid for
the SPOT-2. I have units in stock. Thank you for the order. I appreciate
your business.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 24th 12, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 11/23/2012 1:01 PM, akiley wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/bfm2vsg

Hi Paul, Is the Visa card a real visa account, or sort of a gift card thing? Sounds like I might jump on this one. ... Aaron

Typically, this is a VISA prepaid debit card. You use it like any credit
card and when the value on the card has been used up, you throw it away.

Tony "6N"
Old November 24th 12, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 11/23/2012 6:46 AM, Evan Ludeman wrote:
It amounts to a "free" spot 2 with service activation.

http://tinyurl.com/bfm2vsg

It's an attractive offer, but I already have the original SPOT. What I
am thinking of doing is replacing it with a Delorme InReach, so I'll
pass on this offer until I decide which way to go. They are offering a
$75 rebate at the moment.

Who else is thinking the extra bucks for an InReach is a good idea? I'd
be using it by itself, without a smart phone; possibly, I'd use it with
an iPod Touch.

email me)
Old November 26th 12, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Some Canadian pilots got excited about this offer then learned that it was for US residents only and that there are systems in place to prevent cross-border purchases!
Old November 27th 12, 07:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Saturday, November 24, 2012 7:16:55 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 11/23/2012 6:46 AM, Evan Ludeman wrote:

Who else is thinking the extra bucks for an InReach is a good idea? I'd

be using it by itself, without a smart phone; possibly, I'd use it with

an iPod Touc

email me)

I've been using an InReach (paired with an Android phone) since August. Works really well, with none of the hit and miss I've seen with Spot. InReach has advantages for tracking as it includes altitude and heading info. Being two-way, it confirms message and SOS reception. It works stand alone, of course, but when paired with a smart phone allows two way text messages from anywhere in the world. Though in one particularly narrow and deep Idaho river canyon, it took about 10 minutes to get through. Unlike Spot, since InReach is two way, it knows it hasn't gotten through yet so keeps trying rather than just waiting for the next tracking interval.

Also, when stationary, it shifts to one tracking fix per hour. When the paired phone is turned off (to save battery), the InReach will flash a message light if it has an incoming text message waiting - stores in in queue until you turn on phone to retrieve message.

You can send/receive text messages to any cell phone or email address when no cell service is available.

More expensive than Spot, but worth it IMO.

bumper

Old November 27th 12, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:40:39 AM UTC-5, bumper wrote:
[...]

I considered trading my Spot for the inReach because it could be nice having altitude and texting. I didn't because I think the cube-like shape would be a bit awkward and difficult to attach to my parachute/belt. The inReach being more expensive wasn't a concern but the annual service contract is also twice the price ($300).

If anyone is still considering an inReach I saw a $75 rebate on line somewhere this weekend.

-Jim
Old November 30th 12, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Maybe it is worth waiting to see what Spot will come up with next? I would expect they will try to compete with InReach.

Ramy