Oshkosh FRS & Othersuch Frequencies

Old July 5th 04, 05:58 PM
Jim Weir

Default Oshkosh FRS & Othersuch Frequencies

Anybody got a real good reason not to use:

FRS Channel 3 (no PL) for around the field (we found it to be the least crowded
of the channels last year, but if I catch one more kid screaming obscenities
into their little radios...).

Ham 2-meter 145.75 simplex both air and ground (52 simplex is pretty much a
zoo).

123.3 (alternate 123.5) air-air and air-ground.
http://www.rst-engr.com
Old July 5th 04, 08:27 PM
Jay Honeck

123.3 (alternate 123.5) air-air and air-ground.

Would this work for our "flying into Iowa City" frequency, Jim?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 5th 04, 08:54 PM

Actually, you guys, I believe 123.3 and 123.5 are reserved for
"school" frequencies. You should be using 122.9, 122.75 or 122.85.
If you are going to "pirate" a radio frequency, please do it
away from the school frequencies. I hear the baggage handlers
at ORD use "123.45" :-)

In rec.aviation.piloting Jay Honeck wrote:
123.3 (alternate 123.5) air-air and air-ground.

Would this work for our "flying into Iowa City" frequency, Jim?

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old July 5th 04, 11:35 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jerry Springer wrote:

Then why don't the schools use those frequencie and stay off of 122.75
etc.?

What is a "school frequency"? Can I take in a "ground" class while
airborne?

- Andrew

Old July 5th 04, 11:48 PM
EDR

In article ,
wrote:

Would this work for our "flying into Iowa City" frequency, Jim?

Actually, you guys, I believe 123.3 and 123.5 are reserved for
"school" frequencies. You should be using 122.9, 122.75 or 122.85.
If you are going to "pirate" a radio frequency, please do it
away from the school frequencies. I hear the baggage handlers
at ORD use "123.45" :-)

I thought we were having weekend flight school classes?
"Flying into AirVenture" ground school theory class is on Sunday, with
cross country application flights on Monday.
Classroom portions to be held in both large and small group sessions at
the adjacent Inn.
Ground transportation to and from the airport are free.
Some refreshments provided free.
Lodging available at reasonable rates.
Flight planning weather graphics and text provided free.
Volunteer instructors available, free.
Now, how does this not qualify for flight school frequency usage?
Old July 6th 04, 01:10 AM

It does not qualify for the frequency because you do not hold
a license to operate on that frequency.

Please look in the AIM for the frequencies and usage.

For example, my gliderport, Owl Canyon Gliderport, operated
by Colorado Soaring Association has a license to operate
on 123.3 and 123.5.

The local flight school does NOT have a license for those
frequencies, and did not stop using them until I encouraged
the FCC to visit with them.

Old July 6th 04, 02:25 AM
Jim Weir

-Actually, you guys, I believe 123.3 and 123.5 are reserved for
-"school" frequencies.

Read it closer, Jer. This is from FCC Part 87 (47CFR87) that delineates the
regulations for the use of these frequencies.

Subpart K -- Aviation Support Stations

87.319 Scope of Service

Aviation support stations are used for the following types of operations:

(a) Pilot training;
(b) Coordination of soaring activities between gliders, tow aircraft, and land
stations;
(c) Coordination of activities between free balloons or lighter-than-air
aircraft and ground stations
(d) Coordination between aircraft and aviation service organizations located on
an airport concerning the safe and efficient portal-to-portal transit of the
aircraft, such as the types of fuel and ground services available; and
(e) Promotion of safety of life and property.

Read (d) very carefully. If we aren't transmitting information on efficient
portal to portal transit between the airport and Jay's hotel, I don't know what
else I can say.

If I am the first one there, then Jay will be PERFECTLY legal as I *do* have the
license for these frequencies. Note that section (a) does NOT require you to
have a pilot training BUSINESS, just pilot training. I got the license on the
basis of a CFI alone. As a matter of fact, I could PROBABLY authorize Jay to
use the frequency perfectly legally in my absence. Nobody says that the
licensee has to be the one to hit the PTT switch.

And, all AIRCRAFT are covered by another section. Can anybody say that going to
Oshkosh isn't pilot training of the first magnitude?

You should be using 122.9, 122.75 or 122.85.
-If you are going to "pirate" a radio frequency, please do it
-away from the school frequencies.

It doesn't bother me in the least to use any one of these three. ** That's why
I asked Jay to do a listening check on half a dozen different frequencies and
we'd pick the one that would interfere with the least amount of traffic.** As
yet, he hasn't done this, so in order to get the ball rolling, I picked the two
"legalest" frequencies in my opinion to use.

I hear the baggage handlers
-at ORD use "123.45" :-)

Yeah, well, I have the license for 123.4 and 123.45 as well, as RST Engineering
does some rather sophisticated airborne antenna testing. I've nailed a few
people who insist on blabbing on and on when I'm in the middle of a test. These
are covered under 87.299 et seq. and are ONLY available to manufacturers for
airborne testing.

-
-In rec.aviation.piloting Jay Honeck wrote:
- 123.3 (alternate 123.5) air-air and air-ground.
-
- Would this work for our "flying into Iowa City" frequency, Jim?

Only if you will listen for a while and see if either or both are "quiet" in
your neck of the woods.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com