I Will Never Understand Wind

Old May 8th 05, 10:22 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:iUgfe.56866$r53.43501@attbi_s21...
The US is a "wealthy people", and we clean up "our" environment by
polluting other people's (such as Iraq).

Clueless.

Why risk leaking our oil all
over the Alaskan tundra

What has been the history of the Alaska pipeline since it was built?

when we can let Iraq take the eco-hit, and save
our own? That's the thinking.

He wouldn't know thinking if it bit him in the ass.

That's an interesting way to look at trade. I always thought that the
people who were getting paid were in the driver's seat -- but your theory
seems to put the buyer's in control.

Pure Keynesianism.

Maybe that was once the case, but I would submit that the current world
energy model does not support your theory. (Although Iraq is not fully
re-integrated into the free market, so their case is a bit different.)

It
would appear that the sellers are in command -- and have been for a good
long time -- and we're transferring nothing to them but our wealth.

As above.

Old May 8th 05, 10:53 PM
Matt Barrow

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Hundreds of millions? Hell, we are spending hundreds of millions a DAY in
Iraq to keep our oil flowing. Cold fusion is a dream; hot fusion is
reality. Tens of billions to create a magnetic Klein bottle, and we are
home free for a couple of thousand years.

Think you could get some investors?

Old May 8th 05, 10:56 PM
Matt Barrow

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Sonny, I spent my first ten years out of college working on military toys
that didn't have a chance in hell of working.

Such as? Expound on that if your would...and please, no annecdotes.

You don't think I can make
the distinction?

When doing R&D, how do we know what will work and what won't?

Old May 8th 05, 11:31 PM
RST Engineering

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Sonny, I spent my first ten years out of college working on military toys
that didn't have a chance in hell of working.

Such as? Expound on that if your would...and please, no annecdotes.

First of all, that is anecdotes. Is your spell checker not working these
days? And it is you, and not your.

Second of all, how can you relate an experience working on a project without
telling the story? Anecdotal memory is all we have unless you want a
transcript out of my engineering notebook.

Third, what I was working on in those days was TS, and I'm not about to
jeopardize my ever getting a TS clearance again by relating to you the guts
of what I was doing. I have absolutely no idea if the stuff has been
released into the public domain, but I highly doubt it.

One of the projects was an electrically steerable antenna array meant to
interfere with another signal. It was so goosey and unstable that the only
way we could keep it reasonably operational was to hold ambient temperature
within a couple of degrees and vibration to a tenth of a G. And this was an
aircraft application.

One of the projects was a powerline detector for rotary wing aircraft that
would certainly detect powerlines, but about two seconds AFTER the aircraft
impacted the lines at any reasonable forward velocity.

There are half a dozen more, equally as ridiculous.

You don't think I can make
the distinction?

When doing R&D, how do we know what will work and what won't?

When you are asked to do something that violates a basic law of known
physics. Sure, you can be Einstein and discover a whole new set of laws,
but don't bet the farm on it.

Jim

Old May 9th 05, 02:53 AM
Grumman-581

Jose wrote:
Garbage doesn't just "go away". It goes -somewhere-, and
it's not the back yard of the wealthy.

Nawh, but it sometimes becomes their golf courses after the landfill
has been completed...

Old May 9th 05, 03:40 AM
Jose

Do you know or are you just pulling
suppositions out of your ass?

Befoe shooting your mouth off...

I'm not really all that inclined to respond to rude and vulgar posters
who can't spell.

It doesn't matter where that "someplace else" is - already the town
thirty miles south of us is less wealthy than this town, so makes my
point, which is that the wealthy towns tend to send their garbage to
less wealthy towns (who are more willing to take money in exchange for
allowing the wealthy to dump garbage on them).

I do know where it all ends up, and it's not the backyard of the
wealthy. I even know pretty much where =my= garbage ends up. But the
point it, it doesn't stay in my garage.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old May 9th 05, 11:35 AM
Stefan

Jay Honeck wrote:

Have you got a source for that information? I don't have the figures in

As, according to your earlier statements, your village harbours one of
the world's leading university, I suggest you to look it up in their
library or ask a prof or two. You wouldn't believe me, anyway.

front of me, but I believe your "volcano output" figure is not factoring in
major eruptions that alone can (and often do) put out an incredible amount
of emissions.

You also believed that the Iraq had WMDs. Sorry, OT, but I can't resist,
it drives me incredibly angry. No, I won't "get over it".

Stefan
Old May 9th 05, 12:05 PM
Grumman-581

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
However, from having lived in the oil refinery part of Houston (smack
between La Porte and Texas City) I can tell you that there is still work
to do - the sky still turns green and the stench can be pretty awful.

Nothing quite like coming into HOU from the NE, learning that they're
landing on 04 and being directed by ATV over "Stinky"-dena on a hot Houston
day with a lot of thermals...

Old May 9th 05, 12:05 PM
Grumman-581

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
Look at pretty much any entrepeneur - I think we can all agree Bill
Gates is an exemplar with this - yet Bill Gates and Microsoft have never
done anything radical at the 'front end' because the market won't stand
for it. (In fact Microsoft can barely be counted as being an innovator)

The "Blue Screen of Death" does not count as innovative? Damn, you're hard
to please...

Old May 9th 05, 12:53 PM
Dylan Smith

In article HtHfe.65240$NU4.52784@attbi_s22, Grumman-581 wrote:
The "Blue Screen of Death" does not count as innovative? Damn, you're hard
to please...

Apparently, Longhorn will also have a *red* screen of death!

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net