I Will Never Understand Wind

Old May 8th 05, 02:14 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jose" wrote in message
m...
Wealthier people keep their world cleaner (go to an upscale neighborhood

and
contrst that with the innder city) , even with out the envirofascists
goosestepping.

Do they do this by generating less filth, or by dumping their filth on
the less wealthy people?

Christ, what a stupid response.

Where are the garbage disposal sites around your town, in the inner cities?

Get a friggin' clue!

Old May 8th 05, 02:16 AM
Matt Barrow

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , Matt Barrow wrote:
You call going with a slight adjustment to the status quo
inventor/entrepreneurship?

No, that's why I didn't mention one.

Umm...yes, you did.

Diesels are neither necessary, even in the longer term, nor desirable due to
their ability to generate pollution if not maintained.

And inventor/entrepreneur is still bound by laws of the market unless they
live in a command economy.

Old May 8th 05, 03:09 AM
George Patterson

RST Engineering wrote:
If we had tossed as much money
at taming fusion as we have tossed at unworkable military toys, we'd be
riding around in electric vehicles with fusion providing the recharge
energy.

We tossed hundreds of millions of dollars at it at Oak Ridge alone for at least
30 years. I don't know much about what's gone on there since my father died in
'89, but they may still be working on cold fusion down in "reactor row." Last I
heard, they still hadn't licked the problem of plasma containment.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old May 8th 05, 03:52 AM
Jose

Christ, what a stupid response. [...]
Get a friggin' clue!

hmmph.

Where are the garbage disposal sites around your town, in the inner cities?

Actually, yes. And the same thing is probably true where you live too.

Here, the garbage is taken to a "transfer station", not a dump. The
difference is garbage in a dump stays there, and garbage in a transfer
station gets transferred elsewhere, in this case to a less affluent city
thirty miles further south. From there (IIRC) it is processed, and put
on a barge to go somewhere else. I'm not sure exactly where "else" it
goes, but it probably ends up in a giant dump in the middle of a nearby
large city where it stays until another barge takes it out to the ocean.
If it ever gets there.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old May 8th 05, 04:12 AM
RST Engineering

Sonny, I spent my first ten years out of college working on military toys
that didn't have a chance in hell of working. You don't think I can make
the distinction? STINK is the operative part of distinction here.

Jim

Old May 8th 05, 04:17 AM
RST Engineering

Hundreds of millions? Hell, we are spending hundreds of millions a DAY in
Iraq to keep our oil flowing. Cold fusion is a dream; hot fusion is
reality. Tens of billions to create a magnetic Klein bottle, and we are
home free for a couple of thousand years.

Jim

Old May 8th 05, 04:27 AM
Jose

Tens of billions to create a magnetic Klein bottle

You sure you mean a "klein bottle"? If we could create a real Klein
bottle, we'd be home free forever.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old May 8th 05, 04:44 AM
Jay Honeck

Where are the garbage disposal sites around your town, in the inner
cities?

Actually, yes. And the same thing is probably true where you live too.

Here, the garbage is taken to a "transfer station", not a dump. The
difference is garbage in a dump stays there, and garbage in a transfer
station gets transferred elsewhere, in this case to a less affluent city
thirty miles further south. From there (IIRC) it is processed, and put on
a barge to go somewhere else. I'm not sure exactly where "else" it goes,
but it probably ends up in a giant dump in the middle of a nearby large
city where it stays until another barge takes it out to the ocean. If it
ever gets there.

I think you're missing Matt's point, which is that a wealthy people will do
whatever it takes to keep themselves wealthy (and successful) -- including
cleaning up the environment. To a large degree, this has been accomplished
in America. (As anyone who lived through the 60s, 70s, and 80s can attest
to. Heck, I couldn't swim in Lake Michigan as a boy. Now, it's so clean,
all the lake perch have died off -- because they can't hide from the
predators! The water is simply too clean.)

In my opinion, inner city ghettos are the biggest paradox in American life.
Having worked in several for seven years of my life, collecting bills, I am
qualified to tell you that they are filthy, vermin-ridden areas that are
populated with the most bizarre dregs of the universe. We are talking lazy,
dangerous people who routinely disregard personal safety to live a lifestyle
that, by any measure, is completely self-destructive.

And, most amazingly of all, much of this happens for NO apparent reason.
The lifestyle is a CHOICE -- it's not "put on them by the Man" or, imposed
because of "prejudice" -- or any other knee-jerk, easy explanations. In
fact, many inner city folks are incredibly intelligent people -- they just
choose to live a morally bankrupt lifestyle that must be quarantined from
the rest of society.

Which, of course, is why the inner cities are so dangerous. No one really
knows how to "fix" them -- so they are merely "contained."

It's all so terribly sad.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 8th 05, 04:50 AM
George Patterson

RST Engineering wrote:
Hundreds of millions?

Per year.

Old May 8th 05, 05:07 AM
Jose

I think you're missing Matt's point, which is that a wealthy people will do
whatever it takes to keep themselves wealthy (and successful) -- including
cleaning up the environment.

Point taken. But before they clean up "the" environment, they clean up
"their" environment. If that's sufficient, they stop.

The US is a "wealthy people", and we clean up "our" environment by
polluting other people's (such as Iraq). Why risk leaking our oil all
over the Alaskan tundra when we can let Iraq take the eco-hit, and save
our own? That's the thinking.

Garbage doesn't just "go away". It goes -somewhere-, and it's not the
back yard of the wealthy.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.