Glider mid-airs in Switzerland

Old September 24th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

Default Glider mid-airs in Switzerland

I'm looking for information on glider-glider collisions in Switzerland
over the last ten years. I have looked at the website of the BFU:

http://www.bfu.admin.ch/en/dokumenta...hte_suchen.htm

Searching for aircraft type Glider. However in the results I've only
found one mid-air - between a DG500 and a ASW20 on 29 July 2003.

I was under the impression that there had been a series of fatal
glider-to-glider collisions in Switzerland. I might be reading the
website incorrectly or looking in the wrong place.

Can a resident, or perhaps a native speaker of an appropriate
language, tell me if there were more serious mid-airs, and provide a
source of information? Specifically what I am looking for is the
number of serious glider-to-glider collisions in Switzerland for each
of the last ten years.

Dan

Old September 24th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stefan

Dan G schrieb:
I'm looking for information on glider-glider collisions in Switzerland

You cannot search for key words in the reports. However, you can search
for all glider accidents and then scroll through the list. You will find
midairs when you look for
- two accident reports with the same date
- an accident report with two aircraft registrations

You will find a few.
Old September 24th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Dan G wrote:
I'm looking for information on glider-glider collisions in Switzerland
over the last ten years. I have looked at the website of the BFU:

Go he http://www.glidemet.co.uk/

and scroll down to "European collision data". The online article is only
a summary, but the webmaster probably knows more about Swiss accidents
than he put on the site.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 24th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

On Sep 24, 3:14 pm, Stefan wrote:
You cannot search for key words in the reports. However, you can search
for all glider accidents and then scroll through the list. You will find
midairs when you look for
- two accident reports with the same date
- an accident report with two aircraft registrations

Thanks for your advice. I found two incidents I'd missed and one which
was actually two seperate accidents occuring on the same day.

Dan

Old September 24th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stefan

Dan G schrieb:

- two accident reports with the same date
- an accident report with two aircraft registrations

Thanks for your advice. I found two incidents I'd missed and one which
was actually two seperate accidents occuring on the same day.

I've just realized that it's a bit more involved: There not only is the
category gliders, but also motor gliders. Now if a glider hit a motor
glider, then the two reports show in different categories. You actually
have to sift through *all* accident reports and check for two with the
same date.
Old September 24th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

On Sep 24, 5:56 pm, Stefan wrote:

I've just realized that it's a bit more involved: There not only is the
category gliders, but also motor gliders. Now if a glider hit a motor
glider, then the two reports show in different categories. You actually
have to sift through *all* accident reports and check for two with the
same date.

Again, thanks. It didn't take too long - there was only one incident,
the collision between a Stemme S10 and an ASH26E on 21 April this
year, which was reported in the IHT:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...ider-Crash.php

I would have thought both those aircraft would have been carrying
FLARM units - would you or anyone else happen to know more about that?

Dan

Old September 24th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
alex8735

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...-Switzerland-G...

I would have thought both those aircraft would have been carrying
FLARM units - would you or anyone else happen to know more about that?

Dan

This accident was between a Stemme and an ASH25 (not ASH26E). Only the
passenger of the ASH25 survived. Both aircraft were carrying FLARM. I
heard that the FLARM antenna of the Stemme was not securly insertet
which may have rendered the FLARM useless. The Stemme Pilot went down
with his plane. The ASH Pilot managed to jump but the parachute did
not open before impact. The Passenger bailed out succesfully and spent
the night in the cockpit of the ASH. As far as I know the ASH was also
carrying an ELT.

Old September 24th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stefan

Dan G schrieb:

I would have thought both those aircraft would have been carrying
FLARM units - would you or anyone else happen to know more about that?

They did. Let's wait for the final report.
Old September 24th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sep 24, 7:57 am, Dan G wrote:
I'm looking for information on glider-glider collisions in Switzerland
over the last ten years. I have looked at the website of the BFU:

http://www.bfu.admin.ch/en/dokumenta...hte_suchen.htm

Searching for aircraft type Glider. However in the results I've only
found one mid-air - between a DG500 and a ASW20 on 29 July 2003.

I was under the impression that there had been a series of fatal
glider-to-glider collisions in Switzerland. I might be reading the
website incorrectly or looking in the wrong place.

Can a resident, or perhaps a native speaker of an appropriate
language, tell me if there were more serious mid-airs, and provide a
source of information? Specifically what I am looking for is the
number of serious glider-to-glider collisions in Switzerland for each
of the last ten years.

Dan

I recently moved to the US from Switzerland, and I can tell you that
in the past 10 years there have not been too many mid-air colliosions
with gliders. Off hand, I'm familiar with at leat 2 collisions. One
involved Swiss pilots and the other involved a Swiss pilot and a
German pilot who was visiting. Why are these statistics important for
Switzerland?

Roderick

Old September 25th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rory O'Conor[_2_]

I'm looking for information on glider-glider collisions in Switzerland o=

ver the last ten years. I have looked at the website of the BFU:If FLARM s=
tarted its roll out in 2004, then I think that key statistics to compare mi=
ght be:
=20
a) the total number of mid-air collisions in Switzerland in the years 2001-=
2003 inclusive
b) the number of mid-air collisions in Switzerland in the years 2001-2003 i=
nvolving gliders
c )the total number of mid-air collisions in Switzerland in the years 2005-=
2007 inclusive
d) the number of mid-air collisions in Switzerland in the years 2005-2007 i=
nvolving gliders
=20
I appreciate that there may be other confounding factors.
But comparing the above figures would be a good start.
=20
If (d) =3D 2, then (b) will need to be at least 8 to be significantly diffe=
rent.
=20
Rory
Get free emoticon packs and customisation from Windows Live.=20
http://www.pimpmylive.co.uk=