A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Kestrel DG200 canopy mod.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 16th 19, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Kestrel DG200 canopy mod.

On Friday, November 15, 2019 at 1:29:43 PM UTC-8, Charlie Quebec wrote:
The first thing you need to do if you want a 19m go well is check the profile accuracy, Slingsby never managed to get it as good as the Germans. That’s why the 10 gained only one L/D point after adding 2 meters. Striefeneder used to do the canopy mod, but when I asked them said it was too expensive to be worthwhile, I’ve got a photo somewhere of one that was done, and it looks great. It won’t give you any better performance though.
In the UK several have been legally modified to 20M span. A slingsby Vega canopy fits exactly, as the front was from the Kestrel. Just a canopy frame and bubble without labour will be well more than you have budgeted.

I am having the fairing looked at, agreeing with you wholeheartedly. I am trying to put off doing paint and fiberglass work as long as I can--with the fiberglass being one of the birds better features.

Did people find the 20M mod worth the effort and expense??? I know lugging around 19M wings at close to 120 pounds a piece is going to get old.

Please do tell me more about where I can get a Vega Canopy--wanting to add six inches to the bubble, so I fit, being close to seven feet tall and 279 pounds. If I can get the attaching hardware--I will blow the bubble myself--so I was discounting the price, doing what I have skills to do.

Biggest thing for me, since I am updating the canopy anyway is to make egress and entry much more easy.

Thinking winglets offer the longer wing aspects, with many desirable traits having them. At 20M of wing, not sure there is much advantage left for winglets.