Flanada: 2 month flying trip in Canada and Alaska

Old April 18th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flanada: 2 month flying trip in Canada and Alaska

Hi

My girlfriend and I are planning to do another 2 month flying trip.
After Australia (www.bucka-lassen.dk/flacroz) and Southern Africa
(www.selberschuld.com/flafrica) we have decided this time to do Canada
and Alaska (and maybe parts of the northern US). We are seeking advice
on where to go, where to rent a plane and more (see summary below).

The Route
=========
The route is not set at all yet. All we know is that we probably will
be starting somewhere near Regina/Saskatchewan, as we are going to
visit some friends there before (or after) the round trip itself. We
also know that we want to make it to Alaska. We have thought of
skipping the east coast of Canada (been to Toronto a couple of times
already) - as it possibly would mean too much flying for our taste.
During the previous two adventures we have done an average of about 1.5
hours of flying per day, which suits us fine.

The Plane
=========
We're looking to hire a plane like a Cessna 172/182, a Grumman
Tiger, Piper Archer or any similar sized single prop plane that can
carry at least 200kg of passengers and luggage in total. Travel speed
should preferably not be much lower than 120 knots. This means 160hp
will just about do it, but 180 (or more horse powers) are better. Also
for the higher altitude flying in the north-west of the continent might
require a higher powered plane - agree?

Initially we actually thought of doing the trip in a seaplane, which
would be great for the lakes in the north. However, I would first have
to do the seaplane rating and then finding a place that rents a float
plane to a rookie - which probably is impossible. Also the cost would
most likely be much higher than with a "normal" plane. Last but not
least a seaplane would also limit us to JUST water landings. An
amphibian plane of course is the answer to the latter issue, but at the
same time amplifies the other problems (renting and price).

I realize that Canada probably is THE PLACE (of all) to do seaplane
flying, but I just can't see this happening for us this time - if
anybody disagrees with my analysis above, please let me know.

About Us
========
Linda and I are Danish but live and work in Zurich, Switzerland. We're
both in IT (kind of). No kids so far, but who knows what the future
will bring :-) .

I (Klaus) have a PPL and have piloted the two previous trips mentioned
earlier in this posting (115 flying hours around Australia in 2000 and
60 hours in southern Africa in 2004). My total experience is about 270
hours as PIC.

Summary
=======
To sum up ... ANY suggestions and help on
1) the route
2) hints on what to see and what not
3) where to stay and places that should be avoided
4) tips on where to hire a plane (doesn't HAVE to be Saskatchewan)
5) administrative stuff that has to be sorted out (visas for
instance), etc.
would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Linda and Klaus

P.S.: When replying by mail please have the subject line contain the
word 'Flanada' such that my spam filter doesn't discard those e-mails.

Old April 19th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ummmmm.... been ALL the way to East to Toronto eh?

There is more than a THIRD if Canada to the east of Toronto! Toronto
is in Central Canada, you have hours and hours of flying to get from
Toronto to to the east coast!

Hehe... Welcome! Hope you enjoy your visit with us!

Cheers!

Dave (in New Brunswick, waaaaaaay east of Toronto!

Old April 19th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Come visit Calgary (actually CYBW), take some mountain flying lessons if you
have not already, and continue on to Vancouver Island.

Calgary to Vancouver Island route:

Springbank
Golden
Kamloops
Hope via Coquihalla
Boundary Bay
Nanaimo
Campbell River
Port Hardy
Tofino

and reverse.

SPECTACULAR!

Marc

Calgary,

"cold, but it's a dry cold."

ups.com...

Old April 19th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I have been to Canada and Alaska 5 times in my Husky. Update the Garmin
GPS, buy WAC charts (at leas that is what I used), and follow the good
weather up. There are many routes, from Regina the obvious is the
Alaska highway, although the Cassiar highway and coast is fine also
(plane on low clouds along the coast). A Cessna 172 with 180 horse
engine, or better yet, a 182 will do the job nicely. Make sure you get
the Canadian "green" book (the equivalent of the US airport facilities
directory). They use 126.70 a lot for FSS frequency. The border
crossings are just starting to require passports of Americans, being
Swiss, I guess you will HAVE to have that. Gas is readily avialable and
the airports are no further apart than 200 miles or so. It is really
quite frequently flown. Flight plans are requred in Canada and a good
idea. Just bring the credit card and go. It's a great trip.

In Alaska try and get to West Alaska as this is where there are no
roads and you can fly to towns where there are no roads, only way to
get there is by airplane (or maybe boat). Way cool. I highly recommend
the town of "Flat" in West Alaska.

I agree on your assessment of floats. If you wnt to buy some float time
in Achorage at Lake Hood or Moose Pass on the Kenai penninsula. Would
be a great break from land plane flying....

Old April 19th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hi Dave

Yes, I know ... actually meant to put in a sentence that Toronto of
course is not THE east. What I really should have written is that
Alaska is a 'must' for us on this trip and the east coast is (we think)
just to far away for a two month trip - unless we want to do way more
than 2 hours of flying a day. We don't like it hectic. Rather come back
a second time and do the east coast then.

Regards,
Klaus

Old April 19th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hi Marc

Thanks for the advice - we will definitely consider that route. Sounds
good! Mountain flying I've done here in Switzerland, but a lesson in
the Rockies could be interesting as well - we'll see.

Regards,
Klaus

Old April 19th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hi Doug

Thanks for the suggestions and also for confirming my worries with
respect to hiring a seaplane. Doing a couple of hours in Alaska indeed
sounds like a good alternative - we'll probably do that and getting out
to the remote west indeed suits our likes!

Regards,
Klaus

Old April 19th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What you will end up doing is planning a route, and if the weather is
good, flying it. But if the weather is low along THAT route, you will
probably be able to go on some other route. So plan on being flexible.
The air in Canada and Alaska is the same as anywhere else, so if you
can fly in Europe, you can fly Canada/Alaska too. Few people bother
with IFR/IMC because if it is cloudy, it's likely to be icy. There are
plenty of mountains in Canada and Alaska, just make sure you don't run
into one! You won't if you stay out of the clouds. The highways follow
the lowlands (with a few exceptions), so most routes can be done
avoiding high mountains. There is a HUGE mountain in Alaska, have fun
flying around it!

Old April 20th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You DO know that you need a VISA for the US, right? Even though,
Denmark and most other European countries are part of the Visa Waiver
program (WVP), if you enter the US by private airplane you need a VISA.
( http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...hout_1990.html ).
Good luck,
Gerd