IFR GPS question

Old October 8th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default IFR GPS question

A couple questions...
1) Does a GNS-430 have DME built in? i.e. If I don't upgrade the GPS DB
can I still fly a VORDME approach off the 430's VOR? (I'm trying to
decide if I should keep my DME)
2) What is really the requirement to install an IFR GPS? What rule
(FAR) actually prohibits an A&P from approving a 430 for approaches?

-Robert

Old October 8th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

1) Does a GNS-430 have DME built in?

Sort of. It reports the straight line (not slant range) distance to the
next fix. This can legally be substituted for the DME on an approach
(if the GPS is IFR approach certified). There may be an exception for
DME arcs similar to the exception for substituting for NDB during NDB
approaches.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old October 8th 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Robert,

1) Does a GNS-430 have DME built in? i.e. If I don't upgrade the GPS DB
can I still fly a VORDME approach off the 430's VOR? (I'm trying to
decide if I should keep my DME)

No, it doesn't have a DME built-in. However, if the DME is a waypoint in
the database (not the airport the DME is at, but the DME itself, which is
the case for most, if not all), then you can legally substitute the GPS
distance readout for the DME. You should still be able to fly a VOR
approach with the 430 without a database, but obviously not a VORDME, if
you substitute the DME in the way described above, since the DME part
would depend on the database.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 8th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
bsalai

Robert M. Gary wrote:
A couple questions...
1) Does a GNS-430 have DME built in? i.e. If I don't upgrade the GPS DB
can I still fly a VORDME approach off the 430's VOR? (I'm trying to
decide if I should keep my DME)

There is a slight advantage to keeping your DME, and ADF if you have
one. If you need an alternate, and the alternate only has non GPS
approaches that need either a DME, or ADF, then you can't legally use
the alternate unless you have the necessary equipment in addition to
your GPS.

At least that's how I understand it.

Brad
Old October 8th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Robert,

1) Does a GNS-430 have DME built in? i.e. If I don't upgrade the GPS DB
can I still fly a VORDME approach off the 430's VOR? (I'm trying to
decide if I should keep my DME)

No, it doesn't have a DME built-in. However, if the DME is a waypoint in
the database (not the airport the DME is at, but the DME itself, which is
the case for most, if not all), then you can legally substitute the GPS
distance readout for the DME. You should still be able to fly a VOR
approach with the 430 without a database, but obviously not a VORDME, if
you substitute the DME in the way described above, since the DME part
would depend on the database.

That was my fear. I don't plan on keep the DB up to date all the time
and I still need to be able to fly VORDME approaches. I guess I'll need
to keep my King DME. I assume I can slave it off the 430's nav.

-Robert

Old October 8th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

...then you can't legally use the alternate

Not quite. You can't file that airport as an alternate if you need the
GPS to get in there. However, once you actually =need= an alternate,
that restriction goes away. It's a restriction on filing, not on flying.

Jose
Old October 8th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Thomas Borchert wrote:

Robert,

1) Does a GNS-430 have DME built in? i.e. If I don't upgrade the GPS DB
can I still fly a VORDME approach off the 430's VOR? (I'm trying to
decide if I should keep my DME)

No, it doesn't have a DME built-in. However, if the DME is a waypoint in
the database (not the airport the DME is at, but the DME itself, which is
the case for most, if not all), then you can legally substitute the GPS
distance readout for the DME. You should still be able to fly a VOR
approach with the 430 without a database, but obviously not a VORDME, if
you substitute the DME in the way described above, since the DME part
would depend on the database.

That was my fear. I don't plan on keep the DB up to date all the time
and I still need to be able to fly VORDME approaches. I guess I'll need
to keep my King DME. I assume I can slave it off the 430's nav.

It is not necessary to have a current database for a VOR/DME approach as
long as you verify that the data you do have is correct. So you're good
to go with a 430.
Old October 9th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Robert,

I assume I can slave it off the 430's nav.

Shouldn't be a problem.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 9th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Jose posted:

...then you can't legally use the alternate

Not quite. You can't file that airport as an alternate if you need
the GPS to get in there. However, once you actually =need= an
alternate, that restriction goes away. It's a restriction on filing,
not on flying.

Well, *all* restrictions go away in an emergency, so that doesn't really
address the root of the problem. The reason why you can't file such an
alternate is that you don't have the minimum information required to
safely fly that approach. So in the case where the OP needs to maintain
that capablility to fly VORDME approaches it would be a questionable move
to eliminate it by removing equipment that he already has installed.

Neil

Old October 9th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Well, *all* restrictions go away in an emergency, so that doesn't really
address the root of the problem.

Diverting to your alternate is not an emergency, nonetheless, you are
permitted, once in the air, to divert to any airport you want, with any
approach you want (that you can fly). The point of the filing
regulation is to ensure that you carry enough =fuel= to fly to an
alternate that doesn't require your GPS.

It's a fuel on board for flight planning thing, that's all. Once in the
air, it goes away, emergency or no.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM