Can all HSI's be slaved -- should they be?

Old February 4th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Can all HSI's be slaved -- should they be?

wrote in message ...

Zoom in if you want to be EXACT.

No... you got it right there. Moving map helps you visualize on the *big*
scale... at least the way I've seen it. If you zoom in to where it's accurate enough
to nail a hold/airway/loc, it's not a moving map anymore. It's now an indicator. You
can also put additional indications on as an indicator and have both. In any event,
that's what I initially meant by "augmentation."

: I'm sorry, I guess I miss your point!

Don't get me wrong. A properly done moving map+indicator display can be
much more intuitive and have lots more information than a simple VOR needle. If done
improperly (like the way I've seen lots of my VFR friends with handheld spiffy-do
moving map GPSs), it leads to sloppy, lazy, and overconfident navigating.

Understand and agree, thanks!

John

Old February 4th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"John Clonts" wrote in message

wrote in message

[...]

And keep aware of your position by other means also. We had a Cessna 172
bust the TFR here at Waco yesterday, the GPS signal was being interrupted
and the pilot got "lost". GPS signal is intermittent here again today.

Allen

Old February 5th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"A. Smith" wrote in message om...

And keep aware of your position by other means also. We had a Cessna 172 bust the TFR here at Waco
yesterday, the GPS signal was being interrupted and the pilot got "lost". GPS signal is intermittent here
again today.

Really? I flew into Temple from Abilene at about 8PM, didn't notice any problem on my KLN-94. Is the GPS
being interrupted purposely? Is there a NOTAM I missed?

Where do you fly out of Allen?

John

Old February 5th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"John Clonts" wrote in message

"A. Smith" wrote in message

om...

And keep aware of your position by other means also. We had a Cessna

172 bust the TFR here at Waco
yesterday, the GPS signal was being interrupted and the pilot got

"lost". GPS signal is intermittent here
again today.

Really? I flew into Temple from Abilene at about 8PM, didn't notice any

problem on my KLN-94. Is the GPS
being interrupted purposely? Is there a NOTAM I missed?

Where do you fly out of Allen?

John

I fly out of Waco Regional. Several of my co-workers noted the intermittent
GPS signal also (all in different aircraft). I had to fly a short hop
yesterday morning and lost the signal again, only for about three minutes.
Aircraft had an older King IFR certified GPS.

Allen