A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Flarm IGC files on non-IGC certified Flarm?

Old March 9th 15, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Movses
external usenet poster

Default Flarm IGC files on non-IGC certified Flarm?

I'm somewhat confused with the functionality of the flarm core in regards to producing flight traces.

I was never able to obtain a trace from my Flarm Core Pure.
I put the usb drive in, turn it on, wait for the light to settle to green, turn it off, pull the drive - nothing.
Updating settings from the drive does work, so I'm reasonably confident that the drive is being recognized.

Now, the unit does not have the IGC certification enabled. Originally I thought it simply meant that the traces produces would not be properly signed to be recognized as valid, but now I start questioning whether a non-IGC enabled Flarm produces logs at all?

I don't need to use the Flarm as a logger, but I did want to feed a file to the range analyzer to evaluate antenna placement.

Does anybody have an experience with this?

Thanks,
Movses

Old March 9th 15, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

I believe that you have to install a configuration file first. This is covered in the flarm core manual and in several YouTube videos. PM me and I will take this offline.
Old March 9th 15, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]
external usenet poster

My understanding is that the logger is an extra cost option on later
PowerFlarm Core Pure hardware. Without this option enabled, the unit
will NOT produce flight logs.

Bob

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 09:55:05 -0700 (PDT), Movses
wrote:

I'm somewhat confused with the functionality of the flarm core in regards to
producing flight traces.

I put the usb drive in, turn it on, wait for the light to settle to green, turn it
off, pull the drive - nothing.
Updating settings from the drive does work, so I'm reasonably confident that
the drive is being recognized.

Now, the unit does not have the IGC certification enabled. Originally I thought it
simply meant that the traces produces would not be properly signed to be
recognized as valid, but now I start questioning whether a non-IGC enabled Flarm
produces logs at all?

I don't need to use the Flarm as a logger, but I did want to feed a file to the
range analyzer to evaluate antenna placement.

Thanks,
Movses

Old March 9th 15, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 12:55:07 PM UTC-4, Movses wrote:
I'm somewhat confused with the functionality of the flarm core in regards to producing flight traces.

I put the usb drive in, turn it on, wait for the light to settle to green, turn it off, pull the drive - nothing.
Updating settings from the drive does work, so I'm reasonably confident that the drive is being recognized.

Now, the unit does not have the IGC certification enabled. Originally I thought it simply meant that the traces produces would not be properly signed to be recognized as valid, but now I start questioning whether a non-IGC enabled Flarm produces logs at all?

I don't need to use the Flarm as a logger, but I did want to feed a file to the range analyzer to evaluate antenna placement.

Thanks,
Movses

If you don't fly, it knows and doesn't produce a file. Manual page 20 says in part "Flight recording automatically starts when the aircraft starts moving and ends when the CORE is switched OFF or after more than 10 minutes of standstill." Have you flown with it?
Old March 9th 15, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 3:27:37 PM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:

Thanks,
Movses

If you don't fly, it knows and doesn't produce a file. Manual page 20 says in part "Flight recording automatically starts when the aircraft starts moving and ends when the CORE is switched OFF or after more than 10 minutes of standstill." Have you flown with it?

Further, from the PowerFLARM North America FORUM page, they say that from firmware 2.60beta and on: "...Additions
- IGC format logging suitable for OLC and FLARM range analyzer [2]." Then, firmware 2.71 added IGC logging. So, once you fly, you should be good to go.

2D
Old March 9th 15, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Movses
external usenet poster

I flew with it entire last season.

Traffic detection works well, NMEA stream to my flight computer works well; no traces though.

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 12:33:13 PM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 3:27:37 PM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:

Thanks,
Movses

Further, from the PowerFLARM North America FORUM page, they say that from firmware 2.60beta and on: "...Additions
- IGC format logging suitable for OLC and FLARM range analyzer [2]." Then, firmware 2.71 added IGC logging. So, once you fly, you should be good to go.

2D

Old March 9th 15, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Movses
external usenet poster

If that's the case, how are we supposed to verify performance with the range tool?

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 12:19:56 PM UTC-7, Bob Gibbons wrote:
My understanding is that the logger is an extra cost option on later
PowerFlarm Core Pure hardware. Without this option enabled, the unit
will NOT produce flight logs.

Bob

I'm somewhat confused with the functionality of the flarm core in regards to
producing flight traces.

I put the usb drive in, turn it on, wait for the light to settle to green, turn it
off, pull the drive - nothing.
Updating settings from the drive does work, so I'm reasonably confident that
the drive is being recognized.

Now, the unit does not have the IGC certification enabled. Originally I thought it
simply meant that the traces produces would not be properly signed to be
recognized as valid, but now I start questioning whether a non-IGC enabled Flarm
produces logs at all?

I don't need to use the Flarm as a logger, but I did want to feed a file to the
range analyzer to evaluate antenna placement.

Thanks,
Movses

Old March 9th 15, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Have you loaded a flarmcfg.txt file?

Have you inserted a USB drive and turned power off/on with it inserted?

Which firmware are you using in the CORE?

Old March 9th 15, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 5:01:42 PM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
Have you loaded a flarmcfg.txt file?

Have you inserted a USB drive and turned power off/on with it inserted?

Which firmware are you using in the CORE?

Is your USB drive USB 2.0, formatted FAT, and less than 32 GB?
Old March 9th 15, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

You must not be using the USB stick at the end of each flight.
I think the key is that you must shut off the FLARM, then insert the USB memory stick, then turn the FLARM back on and it downloads the just flown flight log. I flew with my PowerFLarm for the first time last summer, did this action, and every log was transfered to the USB memory stick and I posted them that evening on OLC.