Flarm IGC files on non-IGC certified Flarm?

Old March 9th 15, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Movses

Default Flarm IGC files on non-IGC certified Flarm?

I'm somewhat confused with the functionality of the flarm core in regards to producing flight traces.

I was never able to obtain a trace from my Flarm Core Pure.
I put the usb drive in, turn it on, wait for the light to settle to green, turn it off, pull the drive - nothing.
Updating settings from the drive does work, so I'm reasonably confident that the drive is being recognized.

Now, the unit does not have the IGC certification enabled. Originally I thought it simply meant that the traces produces would not be properly signed to be recognized as valid, but now I start questioning whether a non-IGC enabled Flarm produces logs at all?

I don't need to use the Flarm as a logger, but I did want to feed a file to the range analyzer to evaluate antenna placement.

Does anybody have an experience with this?

Thanks,
Movses

Old March 9th 15, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I believe that you have to install a configuration file first. This is covered in the flarm core manual and in several YouTube videos. PM me and I will take this offline.
Old March 9th 15, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

My understanding is that the logger is an extra cost option on later
PowerFlarm Core Pure hardware. Without this option enabled, the unit
will NOT produce flight logs.

Bob

Old March 9th 15, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 12:55:07 PM UTC-4, Movses wrote:
[...]

If you don't fly, it knows and doesn't produce a file. Manual page 20 says in part "Flight recording automatically starts when the aircraft starts moving and ends when the CORE is switched OFF or after more than 10 minutes of standstill." Have you flown with it?
Old March 9th 15, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 3:27:37 PM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
[...]

Further, from the PowerFLARM North America FORUM page, they say that from firmware 2.60beta and on: "...Additions
- IGC format logging suitable for OLC and FLARM range analyzer [2]." Then, firmware 2.71 added IGC logging. So, once you fly, you should be good to go.

2D
Old March 9th 15, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Movses

I flew with it entire last season.

Traffic detection works well, NMEA stream to my flight computer works well; no traces though.

Old March 9th 15, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Have you loaded a flarmcfg.txt file?

Have you inserted a USB drive and turned power off/on with it inserted?

Which firmware are you using in the CORE?

Old March 9th 15, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, March 9, 2015 at 5:01:42 PM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
Have you loaded a flarmcfg.txt file?

Have you inserted a USB drive and turned power off/on with it inserted?

Which firmware are you using in the CORE?

Is your USB drive USB 2.0, formatted FAT, and less than 32 GB?
Old March 9th 15, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You must not be using the USB stick at the end of each flight.
I think the key is that you must shut off the FLARM, then insert the USB memory stick, then turn the FLARM back on and it downloads the just flown flight log. I flew with my PowerFLarm for the first time last summer, did this action, and every log was transfered to the USB memory stick and I posted them that evening on OLC.

Flarm to MIO 400 [email protected] Soaring 1 January 23rd 15 06:05 PM
IGC Flight Recorders using Flarm firmware - New DLL file forvalidating IGC flight data files Ian Strachan Soaring 0 July 20th 14 07:28 PM
FLARM IGC files: erasable? [email protected][_2_] Soaring 5 May 20th 13 07:46 PM
FLARM for SAR FLARM Soaring 57 November 21st 12 07:21 PM
FLARM Robert Hart Soaring 50 March 16th 06 11:20 PM