Oshkosh Lodging

Old January 9th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Oshkosh Lodging

I was wondering if anyone has Oshkosh lodging recommendations for the
26th to the 30th. This will be my 6th Oshkosh, but the first time I'll
be able to fly into the show. All previous times we have commuted from
Madison after flying in there due to relatives in that part of the
state.

I know the air conditioned dorms are sold out and I'll be calling on
the other ones tomorrow, but I'm interested to find out if there are
any other options that have transportation available to and from the
show.

I know I'm late in booking this, but I didn't know I'd be an aircraft
owner until recently so I missed out on booking last Summer.

Camping is probably out of the question, but I'm open to all other
lodging ideas.

Thanks,
Eric
1959 Pilatus P-3
http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/index.html

(apologies if this shows up multiple times, my software hasn't shown
any results from the previous 3 attempts)

Old January 9th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has Oshkosh lodging recommendations for the
26th to the 30th. This will be my 6th Oshkosh, but the first time I'll
be able to fly into the show. All previous times we have commuted from
Madison after flying in there due to relatives in that part of the
state.

I know the air conditioned dorms are sold out and I'll be calling on
the other ones tomorrow, but I'm interested to find out if there are
any other options that have transportation available to and from the
show.

I know I'm late in booking this, but I didn't know I'd be an aircraft
owner until recently so I missed out on booking last Summer.

Camping is probably out of the question, but I'm open to all other
lodging ideas.

IMO you're missing out on a lot by ruling out camping, but OK, to each his own.

Call the Housing Hotline, the phone number is on the airventure.org web page.
Among other possibilities, they have listings of private homes that are willing
to take on roomers for the duration of the show. Some of them will say that they
can provide transportation, or that they are only xx blocks from a bus line, etc.

Also, though I can't swear to it, I think there are always no-shows in the dorms
and you can get a room in the dorm without a reservation if you're willing to
take a chance.

Dave
Old January 10th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I've always camped but a friend of mine stays in a room in a private
home near the airport. I believe he pays about $60 per day.

I hear the un-air-conditioned dorms are like ovens.

vince norris
Old January 10th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("vincent p. norris" wrote)
I hear the un-air-conditioned dorms are like ovens.

Brick ovens.

Add a fan, you get a Bessemer Oven :-)

Montblack
Old February 2nd 06, 03:25 AM
Plaindriver Plaindriver is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[...]

What about just pitching a tent, or throwing a tarp over the wing? Just take some padding for the sleeping bag, as the ground does get rather hard. Here is what surprises me: THis is your 6th OSH, and youre still fixin to do 5 days! About 2 days and one night is about all I can take. Too much walking, standing, and the food choices aint all that great. I think I have also been there 5 times in the past 8 yrs. In 2 days, I can see all that I want to.
Old February 3rd 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'm not a camper by any stretch of the imagination... in fact, I don't
like it at all. But there is something cool about camping at OSH
beside the plane (we have a low wing) with the thousands of other
airplanes. Hearing the planes start to take off in the early mornign
hours... its quite the experience.

The only thing i'd caution you on is parking, and I don't think you
have much choice... but last year during that terrible night where it
rained and rained a guy in the row downhill from me had his tent flood!
All his charts, papers, maps, clothes, etc were soaked. Needless to
say he was upset.... I was lucky as we were on a slant.

Can't wait to go back!

-dr

Old February 3rd 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'm not a camper by any stretch of the imagination... in fact, I don't
like it at all. But there is something cool about camping at OSH
beside the plane (we have a low wing) with the thousands of other
airplanes. Hearing the planes start to take off in the early mornign
hours... its quite the experience.

Best alarm clock at AirVenture 2005...
Friday morning, 0630, B-25 taking off to the east, followed by two
P-51's deparating to the west.
Old February 3rd 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Best alarm clock at AirVenture 2005...
Friday morning, 0630, B-25 taking off to the east, followed by two
P-51's deparating to the west.

Amen to that, Brother. Even with my earplugs (an absolute necessity for
camping at OSH, IMHO), there ain't nothing much louder than a B-25 going
over your tent at full throttle!

I've been putting 15 years worth of home videos onto DVD since Xmas, and
we're up to OSH '96 now. Mary, the kids and I just sit there watching and
hearing the familiar sights and sounds of OSH, and we all let out a
collective moan of anxious anticipation when the big formations fly over on
the TV, or when FiFi sets off the "wall of fire".

Dang it, I just can't wait for July to come!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 3rd 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dico wrote:
I'm not a camper by any stretch of the imagination... in fact, I don't
like it at all. But there is something cool about camping at OSH
beside the plane (we have a low wing) with the thousands of other
airplanes. Hearing the planes start to take off in the early mornign
hours... its quite the experience.

I'm with you on that, Dico. The only time I camp is at Oshkosh, but I can't get
enough of it.

The only thing i'd caution you on is parking, and I don't think you
have much choice... but last year during that terrible night where it
rained and rained a guy in the row downhill from me had his tent flood!
All his charts, papers, maps, clothes, etc were soaked. Needless to
say he was upset.... I was lucky as we were on a slant.

I've been flooded at OSH camping, too. A nice new tent and some quality time
with a tube of seam-sealer has now eliminated that particular failure mode, I hope.

Can't wait to go back!

6 months and counting.

DGB
Old February 3rd 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Dang it, I just can't wait for July to come!

Snowing and blowing today. Two more months of this...

A 1,000 foot "wall of fire" sounds pretty good right about now.

Montblack
http://www.winter-carnival.com/events/2006/VulcanVictoryTorchli.html
I'll have to settle for some hot air balloon burners, on trailers, fired up
and pointed over the heads of the parade-goers lined up on the sidewalk.
Flames go up about 4 stories.

Oshkosh Lodging Eric Bartsch Piloting 3 January 10th 06 04:44 AM
Oshkosh Lodging Eric Bartsch Piloting 2 January 9th 06 09:31 PM
Oshkosh Lodging Eric Bartsch Piloting 1 January 9th 06 12:33 PM
Oshkosh lodging Eric Bartsch Piloting 0 January 9th 06 01:26 AM
Oshkosh lodging Eric Bartsch Piloting 0 January 8th 06 08:19 PM