I took the garbage out tonight

Old January 30th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default I took the garbage out tonight

You know that life is good, when your garbage bin contains 12 empty quarts
of aeroshell W100, and 6 empty MGD bottles.

Today I installed the oil "quick change" valve, then went flying for 30
minutes, then changed the oil. Oh that makes it SO much easier! No safety
wire, no "channeling" the oil to a container. I have 3/8" tubing connected
to the valve so I just fed it into a milk jug. Jug full, pinch tubing, next
jug, etc. Hardly even needed a rag!

Then this evening I took Nicole back to Abilene. I invited my Vietnamese
friend to go along. It was a smooth starry flight. Filed IFR both ways but
just got flight following on the way back so I could let Paul fly. I had a
six-pack on ice back at the hanger for our debriefing. We cleaned up the
plane. I showed him how "safety wiring" works, and we discussed some
politics-- that Tytler quote*. He has some rather uplifting views of
America, refugeed at 14 from Saigon in '75 just two weeks before it fell.
We noted that flying to Abilene and back and enjoying a six-pack with a
friend-- with nobody's permission-- were examples of great American
freedoms. Like he put it, "It doesn't get any better than this".

Just felt like sharing...

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

*Sir Alex Fraser Tytler, in 1801: "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent
form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they
can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on,
the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits
from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses
over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship."

Old January 30th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Be sure to remove the 3/8 tubing after draining. A classic accident
some years ago pushed the quickdrain open on gear retraction (or
whatever).

Nice to hear.

Old January 30th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

You know that life is good, when your garbage bin contains 12 empty quarts
of aeroshell W100, and 6 empty MGD bottles.

Or when you show up at the airport 9am on a Sunday when it's 600 and 1/4 and
there's already 6 other guys hanger flying and drinking coffee, but not a
single airplane is pulled from the hanger. A nice reminder that flying is
really about the people, not the airplanes.

Jim

Old January 30th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"JC" == John Clonts writes:
JC *Sir Alex Fraser Tytler, in 1801:
JC "...with the result that a democracy always
JC collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a
JC dictatorship."

I think we're there now, all in the same administration.
Old January 30th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"JC" == John Clonts writes:

JC *Sir Alex Fraser Tytler, in 1801:
JC "...with the result that a democracy always
JC collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a
JC dictatorship."

I think we're there now, all in the same administration.

Please stop trying to degrade the post to an off-topic political rant.

GA flying in the US is by far the most unrestrictive and accessible in the
world. Enjoy it, protect it, and appreciate it.

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 30th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2006-01-30, John Clonts wrote:
I have 3/8" tubing connected
to the valve so I just fed it into a milk jug. Jug full, pinch tubing, next
jug, etc. Hardly even needed a rag!

The quickdrain is great. Beware that if you leave it open for a while,
eventually the oil will drain around the outside of it and down the
outside of your tube. I've left mine to drain overnight before and
had that happen.

I've got a few gallons of used oil in the hangar in buckets since I
don't drink enough milk to put it all out for recycling. One of
these days I need to schlep it over to the big oil recycling tank
at a nearby airport.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old January 30th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Ben Jackson wrote:

The quickdrain is great. Beware that if you leave it open for a while,
eventually the oil will drain around the outside of it and down the
outside of your tube. I've left mine to drain overnight before and
had that happen.

How can this happen? I bought a clear piece of poly tubing from the
hardare store that I put on the quick drain and then go home and finish
the job the next day. Never once in 9 years of changing oil has oil
somehow got onto the outside of the tubing.

I've got a few gallons of used oil in the hangar in buckets since I
don't drink enough milk to put it all out for recycling. One of
these days I need to schlep it over to the big oil recycling tank
at a nearby airport.

See if there's somebody you know that uses an oil burner to heat their
shop or garage. I have a 55 gallon drum in the hangar that friends
around the airport come and put their waste oil in. When it gets about
3/4 full i call my buddy and he comes and gets it.
Old January 30th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I've had that happen also. It seems to come out of the slot in the quick
drain that the "handles" extend through, only when they are pushed up and
locked. I don't get a lot, just enough that make me wipe the tube off when
I'm done.
Jim

Old January 30th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jim Burns wrote:
: I've had that happen also. It seems to come out of the slot in the quick
: drain that the "handles" extend through, only when they are pushed up and
: locked. I don't get a lot, just enough that make me wipe the tube off when
: I'm done.
: Jim

Agreed... it only does it when it's open and locked. Doesn't drain much, but
enough to have to wipe the outside a bit.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old January 30th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The quickdrain is great. Beware that if you leave it open for a while,
eventually the oil will drain around the outside of it and down the
outside of your tube. I've left mine to drain overnight before and
had that happen.

Thanks for the caution, but I don't think that's an issue on mine.
Mine's a two-piece ("low profile") version where the part with the
tubing on it screws onto the fixed "drain-plug" part, opening it as you
screw it on.

Cheers,
John