Impressed with the Courtesy of ATC from NC to Miami and Back

Old February 1st 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Impressed with the Courtesy of ATC from NC to Miami and Back

"jls" wrote in message
oups.com...

It's been a while since I did much radio work with ATC and was dreading
it but found ATC very courteous, helpful, and professional.

Those people work in pressure cookers, and yet they manage to be so
nice.

One thing I noticed. The controllers have widely differing
personalilties and voices--and are quick with the words --- a real
treat to listen to.

It's great to be an American.

I stopped in Bacon County, GA to fill up at a self-service pump ---
2.90 a gallon --- and met a nice Georgian there, who also commented
that Jax Approach were the nicest folks around.
He was traveling with his German Shorthaired Pointer in a Bonanza, and
told me where to go to get a Coca-Cola, since I was about dehydrated.

Ain't life just grand, and that much grander that we can fly!

Yeah... love the crew over at JAX. Did a flight from Ft Pierce to Savannah
and back a year ago, dead of night, just "BS'd" with JAX for a while, got
the handoff to daytona, was as little busier... orlando was "unable flight
following".....

Old February 1st 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Fascinating info, Thanks Mike.
Mike Weller wrote:

When I was stationed there, I was in SAC. The airport was Statesboro
Municipal and we just leased the spot from them.

OB-17 was called an Oil Burner (Oh maybe that was an Olive Branch)
route. Number 17 obviously.

They would do qualification and training with our stolen SA-2 radars,
and would also do what we called a "Pop Up" and get scored on their
bombing accuracy. Considering that they had simulated nuclear
weapons, they and I wondered what good it would do to "Pop Up" from
200 feet to 500 feet.

In Kansas, I saw a B-52 pull up slightly to go over the only tree for
miles around there. There's just not many trees in those wheat fields
that go on forever.

B-52s were allowed to fly at incredibly low altitudes on the OB routes
and they had what was called terrain avoidance. It wasn't as good as
the FB-111 that had terrain following. I guess that was why SAC never
lost a B-52 while they were doing that stuff.

Now Linebacker II was a whole different matter. The dumb ****ers at
USAG, or where ever, sent them day after day on the same route, at the
same altitude, and with the same jamming equipment. A monkey could
have figured out how to shoot them down. And did.

The only FB-111s that SAC lost were when they were joining up after a
low level mission, and "got too close together". They had these
really cool ejection pods for each of them, neither of which worked.

Mike Weller

Old February 1st 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

OB-17 was called an Oil Burner (Oh maybe that was an Olive Branch)
route. Number 17 obviously.

Originally Oil Burner. Renamed to the more Politically Correct just
about the time of the 70's gas crunch. Pure coincidence, of course.
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old February 1st 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:10:09 -0700, "nooneimportant"
wrote:

orlando was "unable flight
following".....

I only fly into Orlando IFR, but you're right on the the tone that
they use.

I guess that they have a mix of traffic that can't be "fittend" to
their system.

Mike Weller

Old February 2nd 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

It's been a while since I did much radio work with ATC and was dreading
it but found ATC very courteous, helpful, and professional.

Those people work in pressure cookers, and yet they manage to be so
nice.

I've heard others grumble about rude controllers, but in 50 years of
military and civilian flying, I can't recall ever being treated
rudely.

Even when I did something stupid.

vince norris
Old February 2nd 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"jls" wrote in message One thing I noticed. The controllers have
widely differing
personalilties and voices--and are quick with the words --- a real
treat to listen to.
Ain't life just grand, and that much grander that we can fly!

S**t!! Last I flew from NC to FL, I was instructed to call JAX center upon
landing. I called, and let me tell you how excited that fellow was. He asked
if I was the pilot, and I responded that my answer would depend on what he
was so excited about. First he wanted me to know that Center frequencies are
available in that area. I thanked him, but advised him that his freq doesn't
work so well at VFR altitudes in that area. Then he asked me what it was
like.

S**t!! It was cool. We had taken a film crew fishing, but got skunked to
tune of $2000 in fuel, rigging and tackle, not to mention it was rougher
than snot. We were flying back to FLL after leaving the boat in Moreshead,
NC. I was in the cabin of the plane talking the owner of the boat. Something
outside the window caught my eye. I looked past him and was struck by
instant awe. We had company!

It had a big speed brake that extended to the upright position. Its wings
swept forward as it slowed to our speed. The infrared pod was moving up and
down as it tracked us going up and down. It had Sidewinders.

I did what any good commander would do. I yelled "Get those cameras!"
"ACTION!" "Everyone wave!" "Dammit, Bobby, he doesn't want to see your hairy
buttcrack!" It occurred to me that the F-14 pilot might wonder why the
captain's seat was empty.

He stayed with us for a while. We motioned for him to do a roll, but I guess
he doesn't know how. Then he peeled off. Then we saw his wingman, who had
been behind us up high, peel off and join up with him. It was the highlight
of the whole danged trip. It was better than the time the FSDO called about.

Next time you fly that route, go VFR across the water. Have your camera
ready!

D.

Old February 2nd 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
news
It's been a while since I did much radio work with ATC and was dreading
it but found ATC very courteous, helpful, and professional.

Those people work in pressure cookers, and yet they manage to be so
nice.

I've heard others grumble about rude controllers, but in 50 years of
military and civilian flying, I can't recall ever being treated
rudely.

Even when I did something stupid.
You must have a different standard for rude :~)

I've seen a few (not a lot, thankfully) that had some male version of PMS.

Old February 3rd 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

You must have a different standard for rude :~)

Oh, I know rude when I hear it. Years ago, for example, I was asked
to hold at the VOR I was approaching. While I went into the hold, I
heard the same controller instruct another pilot to change altitude.

Instead of just doing it, the pilot began to berate the controller
because this was the second or third time he'd been asked to change
altitude. HE, not the controller, was rude!

Despite the pilot's rudeness, the controller patiently and politely
explained he was trying to expedite the pilot along his way but had
conflicting traffic, which required altitude changes.

Before I completed one circuit of the hold the controller cleared me
to proceed, explained why he had asked for the hold, and thanked me
for "helping me out."

I've been thanked on other occasions for "helping me out."

My point is that pilots can be rude too, and if one is courteous to
the controller, he or she will probably be courteous in return.

vince norris