bad cylinder

Old February 1st 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default bad cylinder

At this moment, looks like rings, hone, check everything on
the cylinder.

Old February 1st 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Blanche wrote:
: At this moment, looks like rings, hone, check everything on
: the cylinder.

Make sure the check includes the valve guides. We had our jugs off 3 years
(and 350 hours ago). Told the shop to do an IRAN. The guides now barely passed the
"wobble check." I'm sure it was "within service limits" before, but I would have like
to have heard them say, "but it's close to requiring replacement."

Just a thought.
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old February 1st 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

So what did the cylinder shop find? What will their repare consist of?
Thanks
Jim

"Blanche" wrote in message
Denny wrote:
However, the current SMOH on your engine is not specified, nor did you
suggest how long you expect this engine to continue to run before
needing an OH... As I 'now think' I understand your post you are
looking to repair one cylinder and let the engine run until it breaks -
different ball game from overhauling the engine... For that I would
have the cylinder serviced and put it back on... That is one third to
one half the price of new (assuming, yadda yadda)

I took the cylinder to the shop that specializes in this work and
not only had a long chat, but he took apart the cylinder and showed
me the details. The decision is to repair, not buy new, not overhaul.
Engine overhaul is anticipated for this July (which is a lousy
month in the SW US for flying due to the heat).

A3B) for my starboard engine as it is beginning to oil the bottom plugs
on two cylinders (roughly 1650 hours since OH with more than 5400 since

Oil on the bottom plug was the red flag to the shop.

Overall, I'm not really that unhappy. This repair is cheaper than
another radio (which was the original problem that led to this
discovery). Altho this is the first time on the airplane, I've
been in this situation before more than once -- something relatively
minor (in the scheme of things) but very annoying caused me to
deal with the problem real soon, which in turned identified a
very serious problem that was caught early. (One with my car,
one medical).

Old February 1st 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'm still half asleep...what's "IRAN" other than a country inthe
mid-east?

Old February 1st 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Blanche wrote:
I'm still half asleep...what's "IRAN" other than a country inthe
mid-east?

Inspect, Repair As Necessary.
Old February 2nd 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article 1138823929.583603@sj-nntpcache-3, Dave Butler wrote:
Blanche wrote:
I'm still half asleep...what's "IRAN" other than a country inthe
mid-east?

Inspect, Repair As Necessary.

Ah -- another one to add to the TLA list.

Old February 2nd 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'm still half asleep...what's "IRAN" other than a country inthe
mid-east?

Inspect, Repair As Necessary.

Ah -- another one to add to the TLA list.

IRAN is four letters . . .
---
Ken Reed
N9124X
Old February 2nd 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Ken Reed wrote:
I'm still half asleep...what's "IRAN" other than a country inthe
mid-east?

Inspect, Repair As Necessary.

Ah -- another one to add to the TLA list.

IRAN is four letters . . .

Ken, Ken, Ken...."TLA" is an Official designation of the
US Dept. of Defense. You would argue with that poor, woe-begone
G-3 sitting in the basement of an annex of the Pentagon?

(*chortle*)

Old February 2nd 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

If that cylinder went 2500 hours, gave you no trouble, then why not buy that
brand. You know what kind of service you got out of this one, seems to me
there is no reason to look elsewhere. Just my .02 worth.
Clyde

"blanche cohen" wrote in message
Looks like cylinder #1 on an O-360 is dying. Shop says I could get
more time out of it -- good compressions, no metal, but the bottom
plug is covered in oil. Since it has 2500 hours on it, I figured that
it's time.

So -- the big questions

1) Overhaul or buy a new one?
2) If buying a new one, which company? And is there a core refund?
(No, I will NOT get the "Lycoming" brand)
3) What is the difference in break-in procedure for overhaul v new?

thanks

Old February 2nd 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Clyde" wrote in message
If that cylinder went 2500 hours, gave you no trouble, then why not buy
that
brand. You know what kind of service you got out of this one, seems to me
there is no reason to look elsewhere. Just my .02 worth.
Clyde

What was made 2500 hours ago is probably not what is being made now. One
only needs to review all the recent engine ADs. Cylinders have been
especially troublesome for both Lycoming and Continental. I would not buy a
cylinder from either.

Bad cylinder Denny Owning 17 September 12th 05 06:04 PM
Unusual ECI Cylinder [email protected] Home Built 4 July 7th 05 01:27 AM
Path of an airplane in a 1G roll Chris W Piloting 47 July 4th 05 10:53 PM
Path of an airplane in a 1G roll Chris W Aerobatics 20 June 29th 05 09:35 AM
Path of an airplane in a 1G roll Chris W Home Built 22 June 29th 05 09:35 AM