B-17 with V-1 Missile Pic

Old January 23rd 04, 04:05 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Andreas Parsch" wrote in message
Kevin Brooks wrote:

Too bad they are wrong in using that particular choice of verbage, [...]

Admitted (see my other posting).

Sorry, Andreas--that was not intended as any kind of shot at your efforts.
Rob OTOH has persisted to argue outright falshoods in spite of his having
been provided overwhelming evidence to the contrary. He could take a lesson
grom the graciousness you have exhibited in admitting your own minor error
in wording. My compliments to you.

Brooks

Andreas

Old January 23rd 04, 04:11 PM
Andreas Parsch

Kevin Brooks wrote:

Sorry, Andreas--that was not intended as any kind of shot at your efforts.

Thanks - but I already knew that :-). Anyway, I felt a bit embarrassed
to be quoted in favour of a "lost cause", so I just wanted to confirm
again that I do no longer support that statement.

Andreas

Old January 23rd 04, 07:48 PM
Bruce Simpson

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:08:59 -0500, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

Too bad they are wrong in using that particular choice of verbage, since we
KNOW the Loon's engine could indeed operate and produce thrust in a static
mode; the catapult just shortens the required take-off length to a
manageable amount (there is no doubt that if you fired one up on a
long-enough runway that it could accelerate to a speed sufficient to get it
airborne, but then you'd have to have an undercarriage of sorts, etc.). As
has been pointed out to you by many posters, some of whom have demonstrated
one hell of a lot more expertise in the subject matter than you have, the
pulse jet can indeed operate and produce thrust in a static mount, and some
can even be started without any external forced air supply. Why you are
being so hard-headed in the face of proof, both verbal and visual, that your
rants are wrong is beyond me.

Perhaps we should all remember that the Tomahawk crusie missile is
usually either air-droopped or launched using a solid rocket booster
-- is this because the gas-turbine engine that powers it is incapable
of operating without forward airspeed? Hell no -- its because it's
not only dangerous but quite impractical for a cruise missile (V1 or
Tomahawk) to take off like a conventional aircraft using a runway.

The V1 catapault served the same purpose as the Tomahawk's SRB --
simply a method of getting the entire craft up to flying speed in the
shortest amount of time and distance.