Guess Who's Planning to Shine Lasers on Pilots

Old February 19th 05, 08:10 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Here's Merriam-Webster's definition:

Main Entry:wacky
Pronunciation:*wa-k*
Function:adjective
Inflected Form:wackier ; -est
Etymologyerhaps from English dialect whacky fool
Date:circa 1935

: absurdly or amusingly eccentric or irrational : CRAZY
-wackily \*wa-k*-l*\ adverb
-wackiness \*wa-k*-n*s\ noun

I take it, you intend to imply the "absurdly or amusingly eccentric"
aspect of wacky as opposed to crazy or irrational. Right?

Wrong.

But then, I would only find those that I consider irrational, not
those Churchill's statements that you feel are irrational.

Yes, but over the years you've shown in these forums a tendency to be
irrational.

Old February 19th 05, 08:19 PM
mike regish

Talk about the pot and the kettle...

mike regish

ink.net...

Date:circa 1935

: absurdly or amusingly eccentric or irrational : CRAZY
-wackily \*wa-k*-l*\ adverb
-wackiness \*wa-k*-n*s\ noun

I take it, you intend to imply the "absurdly or amusingly eccentric"
aspect of wacky as opposed to crazy or irrational. Right?

Wrong.

But then, I would only find those that I consider irrational, not
those Churchill's statements that you feel are irrational.

Yes, but over the years you've shown in these forums a tendency to be
irrational.

Why would you want to shift the topic from Churchill to me?

Old February 19th 05, 08:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"mike regish" wrote in message

Talk about the pot and the kettle...

We can if you wish.

Old February 19th 05, 08:30 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:19:15 -0500, "mike regish"
wrote in ::

Talk about the pot and the kettle...

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

Yes, but over the years you've shown in these forums a tendency to be
irrational.

I haven't found Mr. McNicoll to be irrational in the years I've been
reading his articles posted to this newsgroup. I'd characterize him
as often pedantic, but usually quite lucid and logical.

Old February 19th 05, 08:45 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Why would you want to shift the topic from Churchill to me?

I didn't.

Old February 19th 05, 10:32 PM
Matt Barrow

"Michael 182" wrote in message

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Can you quote any of his irrational statements?

The comment that the "technocrats" at the WTC on 9/11 were the equivalent

"little Eichmans" seems a little irrational. I live in Boulder, the
epicenter of the Churchill controversy. It's been very interesting reading
the papers here. Regardless of his positions, which, as you stated are
inflammatory and clearly designed to spark debate, the frightening result

is
that the University, at the governor's request, is reviewing his tenure
status.

I thought the idea of a university was to spark debate and discussion in

the
spirit of academic freedom and the ultimate extension of the first
amendment.

No more so than yelling "Fire" in a crded theatre.

I find it humorous that Owens, the Republican governor, who
theoretically supports a conservative interpretation of the constitution,

is
calling for the resignation and/or termination of a tenured professor
because he exercised those rights.

His right to free speech does not include the soapbox to speak from.

Old February 19th 05, 10:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Michael 182" wrote in message

I thought the idea of a university was to spark debate and discussion in
the spirit of academic freedom and the ultimate extension of the first
amendment.

Academic freedom isn't the issue here. Churchill's statements that sparked
this recent controversy were not made in the classroom, in the lecture hall,
or even on the campus.

Old February 19th 05, 11:19 PM
Michael 182

The writings of an academic are considered part of his body of work. I
personally think Churchill is an idiot, but whether his comments were made
"in the classroom, in the lecture hall, or even on the campus" is
irrelevant.

Michael

news

Old February 19th 05, 11:23 PM
Michael 182

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

His right to free speech does not include the soapbox to speak from.

Agreed, in terms of the constitution, but completely wrong in the context of
a tenured university professor. In fact, his earning tenure gives him
exactly that, a soapbox to speak from. Once again, I think his comments are
absurd, but the university community, including professors and students, are
rallying around him, with good cause. When we let politicians decide who
should teach at universities based political beliefs we will lose all
semblance of creative thought.

Michael