LX Mini Map

Old October 31st 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Default LX Mini Map

On 10/30/2010 10:33 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

At the same event we walked out side with the MiniMap and in slightly
overcast but pretty bright sunlight I thought the display was very
readable with both background terrain on and off. Clearly much better
outside than the Oudie (as expected). This is the display I now want
given that it is the largest I could see cramming into a tight panel
and runs SeeYou. And I liked the ability to drive the miniMap/Vario
combination with a PowerFLARM and have the air-data added to the NMEA
stream by the vario.

Are you saying that you can hook up the pitot and static lines to the
back of the vario? If so, this product is very promising.

Folks designing this stuff are thinking (although
with the small niggle I'd still like to see less separate interface
boards/cables). If anybody has one and does not want it I'll give it a
good home. Richard had a meter there, it was not drawing as much as
0.4A but I don't recall the exact number. Maybe he can reply with the
number (with different display brightesses).

Darryl

Old October 31st 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

On 10/31/2010 9:03 AM, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 10/30/2010 10:33 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

At the same event we walked out side with the MiniMap and in slightly
overcast but pretty bright sunlight I thought the display was very
readable with both background terrain on and off. Clearly much better
outside than the Oudie (as expected). This is the display I now want
given that it is the largest I could see cramming into a tight panel
and runs SeeYou. And I liked the ability to drive the miniMap/Vario
combination with a PowerFLARM and have the air-data added to the NMEA
stream by the vario.

Are you saying that you can hook up the pitot and static lines to the
back of the vario? If so, this product is very promising.

The vario is described he

http://wingsandwheels.com/pdf/USB-D.pdf

but it doesn't say whether this is just a basic vario, or also one that
takes pitot and static and calculates airspeed. However, judging from
the depth of the unit, it must be more than just a basic vario.

Old October 31st 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_2_]

Am 31.10.2010 17:34, Greg Arnold wrote:
[...]

To my understanding this is only the dislay unit that you can hook up to
various LX devices, e.g. LX7007, LX8000, LX1606, LX Mini Map. It
replaces the earlier LCD or analog Display Units.

The LX Mini Map seems to get only GPS Data, no static/pivot data. If you
hook it up to a more advanced LX computer, you'll get the full range of
vario data.
--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE

Old October 31st 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Oct 31, 9:34*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
[...]

Greg

Richard was showing that The USB-D vario connected to the Minimap (you
should have driven up for the PASCO meeting). And I asked that
question (twice I think :-)) and he said the USB-D box passes TAS
data to SeeYou. The data sheets don't show all the details, I wish
they would show the rear panels more. I've also not understood this
from what I'd read online so far. And again if I understand it right
this really make this look like a nice "air data computer" box --
something LX might want to explain more clearly (they would then
appear a much more serious option to the C302).

The USB-D mechanical needle and LCD display is beautiful and easy to
configure what is shown etc. from SeeYou Mobile (and other vario
settings).

USB-D is not a great name choice lost somewhere between USB and ADS-B.

Darryl

Old October 31st 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

On 10/31/2010 10:08 AM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Richard was showing that The USB-D vario connected to the Minimap (you
should have driven up for the PASCO meeting). And I asked that
question (twice I think :-)) and he said the USB-D box passes TAS
data to SeeYou. The data sheets don't show all the details, I wish
they would show the rear panels more. I've also not understood this
from what I'd read online so far. And again if I understand it right
this really make this look like a nice "air data computer" box --
something LX might want to explain more clearly (they would then
appear a much more serious option to the C302).

Maybe this will be a good alternative to the NK vario, which at this
point appears to be vaporware.

Old October 31st 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Oct 31, 11:12*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 10/31/2010 10:08 AM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Richard was showing that The USB-D vario connected to the Minimap (you
should have driven up for the PASCO meeting). And I asked that
question (twice I think :-)) and he said the USB-D box passes *TAS
data to SeeYou. The data sheets don't show all the details, I wish
they would show the rear panels more. I've also not understood this
from what I'd read online so far. And again if I understand it right
this really make this look like a nice "air data computer" box --
something LX might want to explain more clearly (they would then
appear a much more serious option to the C302).

Maybe this will be a good alternative to the NK vario, which at this
point appears to be vaporware.

One of my concerns (besides the lack of information from NK) is the NK
vario will be no interst to me, and I suspect many other piltos with
fairly well equipepd panels if the vario either does not have an
internal GPS which outputs TAS in the NMEA stream or feed through a
NMEA stream. This includes all extra sentences like from a Flarm/
PowerFLARM and adding the TAS etc. data to it and do all that in a way
that is compatible with popular soaring software (i.e. for a start
emulate a C302 TAS and other NMEA extensions). If the vario includes
an internal GPS then it also needs to be a certified IGC flight
recorder. The team working on the NK vario should be capable of
capable of doing something amazing, I hope they are.

Darryl
Old October 31st 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

On 10/31/2010 11:40 AM, Darryl Ramm wrote:

One of my concerns (besides the lack of information from NK) is the NK
vario will be no interst to me, and I suspect many other piltos with
fairly well equipepd panels if the vario either does not have an
internal GPS which outputs TAS in the NMEA stream or feed through a
NMEA stream. This includes all extra sentences like from a Flarm/
PowerFLARM and adding the TAS etc. data to it and do all that in a way
that is compatible with popular soaring software (i.e. for a start
emulate a C302 TAS and other NMEA extensions).

I guess this depends on whether they intend the vario only as a
supplement to the ClearNav, or whether they intend it to work also with
other systems. If the former, they would really be limiting its market.

I have an "antique" B50 vario, and it has no problem taking the GPS
stream from my logger, adding TAS, and sending that to CU Mobile. I am
hoping that the NK vario (as well as the LX vario that goes with the
Mini-Map) will also do this.

Old October 31st 10, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Oct 31, 11:59*am, Greg Arnold wrote:
[...]

Greg and All

I spent 2 weeks in Slovenia in September with LX navigation & LXNAV
training to be a US Service Center and a US Autorized Dealer for both
companies.

Both the MiniMap and LX1606 Vario information are on my website.
Manuals etc. Both come with the New Vario, Either can accept data
streams from a variety of GPS devices from PowerFlarm to a Garmin,

http://www.craggyaero.com/lx_navigation1.htm

The Vario component is the same for both systems and accepts Pitot,
Static and TE. Temp probes are no longer required as the pressure
sensors are internally compensated. TAS data is in the nmea stream,
buad rate 38300 is perferred.

The LXNAV LX8000 and LX9000 also use this Vario component.

I showed both devices at the PASCO conference this weekend.

Please call if you have questions.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old October 31st 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

[...]

I believe the vario he

http://www.craggyaero.com/User%20Gui...%20V%200_8.pdf

is the same as the one that goes with the Mini-Map (except it doesn't
have the newer dial). So the picture on page 4 shows the back of the
Mini-Map vario, with connections for TE, pitot, and static.

Old October 31st 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

I have the new LX16D Vario here, this is the Vario used with the Mini Map is
much like the LX16 vario..in that it is a complete variometer with pneumatic
input for TE (pressure transducer type TE compensation) it is not a supplied
with any Pitot input so speed calcualtaions woul;d all be based on GPS
position through the LX Mini Map.
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

database 5576 (20101029) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5576 (20101029) __________

http://www.eset.com

Mini-Imp Curt Fennell Home Built 7 November 10th 09 12:43 PM
Mini Lathes Kyle Boatright Home Built 11 August 18th 08 05:56 AM
Mini-500 Sim Jim Aviation Marketplace 0 January 26th 04 11:32 PM
Mini Imp Randall Robertson Simulators 3 December 17th 03 05:56 AM
Mini Imp Randall Robertson Home Built 0 November 25th 03 12:17 AM