MU2 accident

Old April 6th 04, 12:38 AM
Mike Rapoport

Hard to imagine that the cargo shifted far enough back to cause a problem in
cruise flight. Hard to imagine that a cargo operation would overlook
something like fastening down the cargo.

Mike
MU-2

"mike regish" wrote in message
I live near Pittsfield. The article I saw mentioned that he was hauling
screws, I think. I was thinking that possibly some of the load shifted in
flight and went aft. One witness said he looked like he was coming down
backwards. Another said he was in a flat spin. Figure screws are a pretty
dense cargo. If they somehow shifted back, do you think it could make him
tail heavy enough to get him in trouble even at cruise speed? He had fuel

as
the wreckage was burning. Said last contact was at 17K feet and radar

showed
him losing 12k feet in 60 seconds.

mike regish

"Big John" wrote in message
Pete

MU2 had a relatively limited production run not like the 150/152 which
has been built for ever and in the thousands.

MU2 is a relatively high performance turbo prop and not normally seen
as plane of the average GA pilot. You will find them in commercial
service of some kind.

Some general specs.

580 built (1963-1986) That's about 25 a year average during production
life.
About 500 on books in 2000.
300 mph normal cruise
7 passenger two pilot pressurized. (Some with big fuselage could carry
11 passengers)
Listed on market today for about $300,000.+/-

Accident in question, pilot had routine communication with ATC and 9
minutes later came out of clouds in flat spin and hit ground with no
forward movement.

There was some icing in clouds but may or may not have been at his
cruising altitude? Pitot and Stall heat were on. Rest of 'heat'
switches were off.

All of airframe was at crash site.

I posted as a jab at Mike (MU2) who stands up for the bird even with
these 'strange' type of accidents. Flying one, he may have some feed
back on this accident?

Hate to see these accidents both for crew and A/C (

Big John

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
````````````````````

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:26:33 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]
As I said prior, if you keep breaking they will be all gone before
long.

What do you fly? Is it still in production? If not, how is it not

true
for
that type of aircraft that "if you keep breaking they will be all gone
before long"?

Even the Cessna 152 has a finite number in the fleet, and they continue

be involved in accidents now and then. Eventually they will all be

gone
too.

What's your point? How is the MU2 any different from any other

aircraft
not
still in production?

Pete

Old April 6th 04, 12:40 AM
Mike Rapoport

The weather was supposed to be good. I haven't heard anything other than
that they don't know anything yet. Perhaps the pilot had a heart attack.

Mike
MU-2

"Big John" wrote in message
Mike

See my answer to Pete on msc.

Any feed back through MU2 channels on what may have happened? Wing
iced up and stalled and bird spun in????

Fly safe and stay lucky.

Big John

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
````````````

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 23:50:48 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

Strange indeed. At the current rate, all the MU-2s will be gone around

the
year 2305 or about 150yrs after there is no petroleum to fuel them anyway
:-).

Mike
MU-2

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
Mike

NTSB accident report. See another MU2 went in 25 March near
Pittsfield, MA under strange circumstances.

Old April 6th 04, 12:49 AM
Mike Rapoport

I don't know any more than anybody else that wasn't there. The one that
crashed near Napa, CA apparently was a CFIT into the bay. I've never flown
there but supposedly Napa is a "black hole" approach at night. Another MU-2
was recently "landed" on the nose hard enough that it is "unrepairable".

There always ends up being a relatively simple explanation for all these
wrecks but it is surprising to see three in a couple weeks.

Mike
MU-2

"Big John" wrote in message
[...]

wrote:

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Old April 6th 04, 01:44 AM
Peter Duniho

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
Hard to imagine that the cargo shifted far enough back to cause a problem

in
cruise flight.

And yet, with relatively high-density cargo, this certainly can happen,
especially if the airplane was already near the aft CG limit.

Hard to imagine that a cargo operation would overlook
something like fastening down the cargo.

And yet, it does occasionally happen, and it does occasionally cause an
accident, usually fatal.

Yes, in a perfect world, the people loading the cargo would ensure the cargo
is secured, and the pilot would double-check that it's secured. But we
don't live in a perfect world.

I don't know if that's what happened in this accident, but it certainly
could be a possibility, absent any other information.

Pete

Old April 6th 04, 03:43 AM
Big John

Mike

All the accident pilots were commercial rated that I recall. Could
these be low time pilots trying to build time flying in a hot aircraft
that is difficult to fly safely in certain circumstances?

Could explain some of the accidents.

On Pittsfield, as I said, there was some icing reported/forecast in
the area. How does the MU2 fly with ice on the wings? They had some
commuter birds (at lest one around Chicago) that held in icing and
bird stalled with ice on wings and went in. How touchy is the MU2
airfoil?

This was a night flight. What do you have to see (or will tell ou) if
you have ice on the wings?

Fly safe and stay lucky.

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 23:49:48 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

I don't know any more than anybody else that wasn't there. The one that
crashed near Napa, CA apparently was a CFIT into the bay. I've never flown
there but supposedly Napa is a "black hole" approach at night. Another MU-2
was recently "landed" on the nose hard enough that it is "unrepairable".

There always ends up being a relatively simple explanation for all these
wrecks but it is surprising to see three in a couple weeks.

Mike
MU-2

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````
````````````````````

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:26:33 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Old April 12th 04, 03:45 PM
Mike Rapoport

There is nothing particularly unusual about a MU-2 wing. The airfoil is the
same as other aircraft that fly in the same speed range. The deice system
is virtually identical to other turboprops as well. The wings and tail have
boots inflated by bleed air, the engine inlets are heated with bleed air and
the windshields, pitot/static, props and oil cooler inlets are electrically
heated. There is an ice light that illuminates the leading edge of the
wing. The plane flys well in icing. Mitsubishi actually flew through
thunderstorms in NM to get severe icing data.

I am really interested in hearing the NTSB's conclusions on thePittsburg
accident.

Mike
MU-2

"Big John" wrote in message

Mike

All the accident pilots were commercial rated that I recall. Could
these be low time pilots trying to build time flying in a hot aircraft
that is difficult to fly safely in certain circumstances?

Could explain some of the accidents.

On Pittsfield, as I said, there was some icing reported/forecast in
the area. How does the MU2 fly with ice on the wings? They had some
commuter birds (at lest one around Chicago) that held in icing and
bird stalled with ice on wings and went in. How touchy is the MU2
airfoil?

This was a night flight. What do you have to see (or will tell ou) if
you have ice on the wings?

Fly safe and stay lucky.

Big John

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````
```````

wrote:

I don't know any more than anybody else that wasn't there. The one that
crashed near Napa, CA apparently was a CFIT into the bay. I've never

flown
there but supposedly Napa is a "black hole" approach at night. Another

MU-2
was recently "landed" on the nose hard enough that it is "unrepairable".

There always ends up being a relatively simple explanation for all these
wrecks but it is surprising to see three in a couple weeks.

Mike
MU-2

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````

`
````````````````````

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:26:33 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Old April 13th 04, 03:58 AM
Big John

Tnx Mike

Always good to get data from one in the saddle vs one at the bar.

Big John

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:45:04 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

There is nothing particularly unusual about a MU-2 wing. The airfoil is the
same as other aircraft that fly in the same speed range. The deice system
is virtually identical to other turboprops as well. The wings and tail have
boots inflated by bleed air, the engine inlets are heated with bleed air and
the windshields, pitot/static, props and oil cooler inlets are electrically
heated. There is an ice light that illuminates the leading edge of the
wing. The plane flys well in icing. Mitsubishi actually flew through
thunderstorms in NM to get severe icing data.

I am really interested in hearing the NTSB's conclusions on thePittsburg
accident.

Mike
MU-2

.. .

wrote:

I don't know any more than anybody else that wasn't there. The one that
crashed near Napa, CA apparently was a CFIT into the bay. I've never

flown
there but supposedly Napa is a "black hole" approach at night. Another

MU-2
was recently "landed" on the nose hard enough that it is "unrepairable".

There always ends up being a relatively simple explanation for all these
wrecks but it is surprising to see three in a couple weeks.

Mike
MU-2

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

`

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:26:33 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]