"Heads Up" to Soaring Good Conditions

Old May 14th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

Default "Heads Up" to Soaring Good Conditions

Unless you are closely watching the daily weather and know
it trends, a lot of good soaring days are never taken advantage
of. For those who watch the weather, they are rewarded with
some great soaring.

Oh how I wish that I could have joined all of the ridge flights
last week out if Pennsylvania and Tennessee, but I was not
watching the weather and the soaring site is not in my local
area.
I am sure that there are others pilots who would have liked to
have also flown then if they where aware of the forecasted
soaring conditions.

I know that there are those pilots who are watching their local
weather who have a lot experience in seeing what is required
for good to great soaring conditions.

It would be great if we could get a "Heads Up" to Soaring Good
Conditions from your local area. We would like to join you.

As an example, soaring pilot Steve M. from the Soaring Sooners
puts out an email when he sees good to excellent soaring
conditions for his local area. He has been flying out of this area
for a long time and when he says it is going to good or excellent,
me and couple other pilots with do whatever it takes to get off of
work to go fly. It is always worth the 3 hour dive to fly there.

I am also on an email list for a group of pilots who fly out of Marion
Co. Tennessee when the forecast is good for some great ridges
flights.

Tom Knauff in his emails, he gives a heads up to when they are
expecting good ridge soaring conditions.

that is used to alert pilots to good ridge and wave conditions for
SE Oklahoma.

I would like to suggest that a new Yahoo or Google discussion
group be formed where pilots could provide a Heads Up Soaring
Conditions Alert for their local area.
I know that sometimes there can only one or two day notice, but
at least it would give us other pilots a notice to start watching
your
local weather and make plans for a quick road trip!

I live in Tulsa, OK and I will drive almost anywhere that is within a
full days drive for good soaring conditions. Here are a few places
that I have driven to for good soaring conditions. Talihina and
Hinton,
OK are 3 hour drive. Moriarty, NM - 10 hours, Marion Co, TN - 11
hours,
Marfa, TX - 12 hours, Ridge Soar, PA- 19 hours.
I just to fly more and our local conditions are miserable for cross
country
flights.

I will start a new YahooGroup if pilots would be willing to provide a

http://talihinasoaring.com/