Winter Flying, all over again

Old December 13th 03, 03:22 PM
Jim

Brrrrrrrrrr.... cold here this morning... I had to run up to the airport at
5:00am and help a guy load up the Archer so he could take it today...
balmy -8 this morning! Thank god the hanger is heated and it cranked right
up but I sent along an extension cord and a set of jumper cables just in
case.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Jay Honeck wrote:

I'm tellin' ya, the very best flying is in winter!

Easy for you to say - *your* plane has a decent heater.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually

said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Old December 13th 03, 06:40 PM
EDR

G.R. Patterson III wrote:
Easy for you to say - *your* plane has a decent heater.

What's a heater?
Eric (1945 Champ)
Old December 14th 03, 03:41 AM
Morgans

"Jim" wrote in message
Brrrrrrrrrr.... cold here this morning... I had to run up to the airport

at
5:00am and help a guy load up the Archer so he could take it today...
balmy -8 this morning! Thank god the hanger is heated and it cranked

right
up but I sent along an extension cord and a set of jumper cables just in
case.
--
Jim Burns III

Cripes! Where are you located at?
--
Jim in NC

Old December 14th 03, 04:20 AM
Jay Honeck

I'm tellin' ya, the very best flying is in winter!

Easy for you to say - *your* plane has a decent heater.

Maules don't, I take it?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 14th 03, 03:38 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

I'm tellin' ya, the very best flying is in winter!

Easy for you to say - *your* plane has a decent heater.

Maules don't, I take it?

The 160 hp models, at least, have lousy heat. If the temp is below freezing, I
wear insulated boots, hunting bibs, my usual leather coat, and deerskin gloves.
With all that on, it's a real exercise getting the flaps into the -7 degree
notch.

Old December 14th 03, 10:54 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 04:57:14 +0000, Jay Honeck wrote:

I'm tellin' ya, the very best flying is in winter!

I went out to the airport today so I might be able to fly. The problem
was I couldn't find the runway... We had enough snow that there was no
difference between the ground and the runway, it was all white and smooth,
but you could see every so often a light sticking up through the snow, but
not many of them.

I agree flying in the Winter is nice, but dang, I couldn't find the
blasted runway today. Our airport isn't known for plowing after a snow, I
had 8 inches on the ramp in front of the hangar, and I bet it'll be there
a week from now if it doesn't warm up.

Old December 15th 03, 02:44 AM
David Megginson

Matthew P. Cummings wrote:

I agree flying in the Winter is nice, but dang, I couldn't find the
blasted runway today. Our airport isn't known for plowing after a snow, I
had 8 inches on the ramp in front of the hangar, and I bet it'll be there
a week from now if it doesn't warm up.

Perhaps it would be good to rephrase: winter flying in and out of busy,
well-maintained airports is great. I fly out of a busy class C (which would
be a class B in the U.S.), and even with an outside tiedown out on the grass
in the sleepy GA north field, I didn't have to shovel my plane out once last
winter (in Ottawa, Canada). The big problem is that there are fewer places
to fly to -- many of the friendly little country grass strips just shrivel
up and die until the ground dries out after the spring thaw, so you're
limited to bigger airports, mainly those with scheduled air service or at
least moderate-to-heavy G.A. use.

As a side note, when I did my primary flight training, my instructor
mentioned that the most likely real-life use for the whole
precautionary-landing technique was checking for snow and ice on a runway (I
also use it for unmonitored grass strips, of course).

All the best,

David

Old December 15th 03, 02:54 AM
Jay Honeck

I'm tellin' ya, the very best flying is in winter!

I went out to the airport today so I might be able to fly. The problem
was I couldn't find the runway... We had enough snow that there was no
difference between the ground and the runway, it was all white and smooth,
but you could see every so often a light sticking up through the snow, but
not many of them.

Jeez, where do you fly out of again, Matt? I'd be on your airport
manager/FBO like stink on you-know-what about that kind of crap.

Even our airport, with all of its budget-cutting and lack of maintenance, is
scrupulous about snow plowing.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 15th 03, 08:21 PM
Jim

Central Wisconsin. Fellow needed to rent the Archer so he could go further
north (colder) and sit outside in a tent all day while doing telephone line
repair.... talk about a cold job!
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old December 16th 03, 03:42 AM
Jay Honeck

That's what I thought! Man, you need to lean on 'em, hard.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Winter flying ops Viperdoc Owning 4 December 24th 04 01:29 AM
Mountain flying instruction: McCall, Idaho, Colorado too! [email protected] General Aviation 0 March 26th 04 11:24 PM
FA: WEATHER FLYING: A PRACTICAL BOOK ON FLYING The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 03 12:07 AM
the thrill of flying interview is here! Dudley Henriques Piloting 0 October 21st 03 07:41 PM