Stolen "Champ" wings located...from 23,000 feet!!

Old December 11th 03, 03:22 PM
Tom

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

In the area where I live, it is standard procedure to put unwanted
stuff at the end of the drive. Sometimes the householder adds a sign:
FREE, but I don't bother. The thang is almost always gone by the time
of the next weekly trash pickup.

Indeed, I think the town counts on this behavior. We have a
bulky-trash pickup every June, and without fail the town tells us to
have the stuff by the side of the road two weeks in advance of the
actual pickup. They claim this is so they can allocate trucks, but I
think it's just so scanvangers will carry away most of it. They come
from several towns around to cherry-pick the leavings.

And the following June, all the stuff is out at the end of the driveway
again...but it's at the end of SOMEONE ELSE'S driveway.

Old December 11th 03, 04:43 PM
R. Hubbell

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:22:22 -0700 "Tom" wrote:

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

In the area where I live, it is standard procedure to put unwanted
stuff at the end of the drive. Sometimes the householder adds a sign:
FREE, but I don't bother. The thang is almost always gone by the time
of the next weekly trash pickup.

Indeed, I think the town counts on this behavior. We have a
bulky-trash pickup every June, and without fail the town tells us to
have the stuff by the side of the road two weeks in advance of the
actual pickup. They claim this is so they can allocate trucks, but I
think it's just so scanvangers will carry away most of it. They come
from several towns around to cherry-pick the leavings.

And the following June, all the stuff is out at the end of the driveway
again...but it's at the end of SOMEONE ELSE'S driveway.

And so on and so forth. Purest form of recycling.

R. Hubbell
Old December 11th 03, 06:55 PM
ET

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

In the area where I live, it is standard procedure to put unwanted
stuff at the end of the drive. Sometimes the householder adds a
sign: FREE, but I don't bother. The thang is almost always gone by
the time of the next weekly trash pickup.

Indeed, I think the town counts on this behavior. We have a
bulky-trash pickup every June, and without fail the town tells us
to have the stuff by the side of the road two weeks in advance of
the actual pickup. They claim this is so they can allocate trucks,
but I think it's just so scanvangers will carry away most of it.
They come from several towns around to cherry-pick the leavings.

And the following June, all the stuff is out at the end of the
driveway again...but it's at the end of SOMEONE ELSE'S driveway.

And so on and so forth. Purest form of recycling.

R. Hubbell

Here in the San Antonio Texas area, we have "professional" curb trash
scavangers. It it very likely, if you go to one of the 4 or 5 large
flea markets in the area the next weekend you will see your former trash
for sale at a reasonable price.

I say more power to them!
--
ET

(Future student pilot and Sonex or Zodiac XL builder)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old December 11th 03, 11:37 PM
Brien K. Meehan

"BTIZ" wrote in message news:B%OBb.19391$yf.9234@fed1read01...
how can they be "stolen" wings.. when they were left by the side of a road
with no airplane attached.. did you leave a note on them?

How can they NOT be "stolen" if they were taken by someone who doesn't
own them? Keeping them attached, or putting a "note" on them (what
the hell?!?) doesn't change their personal ownership.

isn't there something about salvage rights?

Salvage is a specific legal process. Taking someone else's personal
property (even if it's lost on public land) and keeping it is not
salvage, it's theft.

I know.. complete cars left by the side of the road and then "taken" are
considered stolen.... but what if I only find one fender?

If you find one fender, and you take it, you've stolen it.
Old December 12th 03, 06:44 AM
BTIZ

If you find one fender, and you take it, you've stolen it.

BS

Old December 12th 03, 02:11 PM
ET

"BTIZ" wrote in news:7tdCb.3840$m83.1342
@fed1read01:

If you find one fender, and you take it, you've stolen it.

BS

Years ago I lost my dog (he was a champion fence jumper grin). I ended
up getting a call from someone who found the dog allegedly on there way
through town, called me from 80 mile away, and said come get the dog.

I drove the 80 miles, and the person never showed up. I went to the police
station, and to officer told me that I had no complaint since if someone
finds a dog wandering around and picks it up, they are doing a public
service and can keep it if they want too.

Morally, you are correct, legally, I believe not.

--
ET

Old December 12th 03, 03:27 PM
Roger Hamlett

"ET" wrote in message
"BTIZ" wrote in news:7tdCb.3840$m83.1342
@fed1read01:

If you find one fender, and you take it, you've stolen it.

BS

Years ago I lost my dog (he was a champion fence jumper grin). I ended
up getting a call from someone who found the dog allegedly on there way
through town, called me from 80 mile away, and said come get the dog.

I drove the 80 miles, and the person never showed up. I went to the

police
station, and to officer told me that I had no complaint since if someone
finds a dog wandering around and picks it up, they are doing a public
service and can keep it if they want too.

Morally, you are correct, legally, I believe not.

Sounds a bit like the UK law, with regards to poaching. If you hit a
pheasant on the road, stop and pick it up, you have broken the law, and
stolen the bird. However if a following driver picks it up, it is legal.

Best Wishes

Old December 15th 03, 01:24 PM
Brien K. Meehan

ET wrote in message .. .
I drove the 80 miles, and the person never showed up. I went to the police
station, and to officer told me that I had no complaint since if someone
finds a dog wandering around and picks it up, they are doing a public
service and can keep it if they want too.

That's not true. The officer didn't know the applicable laws (very
likely), and/or didn't want to bother dealing with your problem (also
very likely).