Crappy Gliders Rejoice!

Old September 3rd 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Crappy Gliders Rejoice!

Gunnar wrote:

And we always are!

Very nice Tony! Thanks for sharing you story.

I think you have discovered what cross country soaring is all about.

Best of luck on your future adventures.

Just one tip. Forget the roads, big, brown fields are far better. Maybe
more work during the retrieve, but much safer than roads.

Fly Safe and keep having fun,

Gunnar

Gunnar from Boulder area? I flew with you on my initial adventures to
the mountain lands back in the late 80s. Great memories of a 2-32
beat-up of the rocks.

I bear some responsibility for Tony's growing affliction with
soaring-itis. He knows about the road issue. We got no brown fields
here now. It's either 9 foot high corn or 3 foot beans and an
occasional hay field. What he landed on wasn't really a road anyway,
just an abandoned field access lane.

Frankly, though I'm a big proponent of XC flying in Iowa I'm not a real
fan of going this time of year when the crops are big. I've avoided it
for years but Tony has proven to me that it's doable with 3 off-airport
landings in the last month. I guess it's a sign of success when your
students start showing you how it's done. Either that or I'm just
getting old!

Matt Michael

Old September 3rd 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gunnar

Gunnar from Boulder area? I flew with you on my initial adventures to
the mountain lands back in the late 80s. Great memories of a 2-32
beat-up of the rocks.

One and the same.

I still polish those rocks when the bird police let us. And I still,
occasionally, hitchhike back home from my favorite front range airports
to self retrieve.

Good to see that you are sending your chicks away from the nest!

I feel the need to go down wind. Maybe later this week, before things
start getting weaker. I would just like to make it to McCook where I
saw my first glider.

I hear the crowd down at Kelly has something like that planned for this
weekend. Knowing them, they'll make it to Iowa.

Good and safe soaring,

Gunnar

Old September 3rd 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gunnar wrote:

I feel the need to go down wind. Maybe later this week, before things
start getting weaker. I would just like to make it to McCook where I
saw my first glider.

Gunnar

Man McCook was quite the hotbed back in the day so I hear. It's the
freeking middle of knowhere from any other perspective. Ah, the high
plains... They call to me with their high cloudbases and dryline
tornados...

I met Fred Herr here in Ames Iowa a couple years ago. He apparently
started or ran the Owl Canyon site back in the 60s and was a long time
front range DPE. I expect you knew him perhaps. Anyway, he told me a
story of starting in the wave early AM over Boulder, making it into
thermals in eastern CO and being carried by a T-storm all the way to
Hastings NE in a K6. That's one awesome downwind dash!

I'm hoping Gorden Boetger or another of the new age wave pioneers will
make it all the way to Iowa someday. Hell, you could do it and so
could Bob W. Screw it, who needs to make a living after all. You are
dead a long time!

MM

Old September 3rd 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Cant

At 05:54 02 September 2006, Greg Arnold wrote:

What bus company has a route that goes from Lone Pine
to Tehachapi?

Greg,
CREST from Lone Pine to Ridgecrest, Inyo from
Ridgecrest to Mojave, Kern from Mojave to Tehachapi.
Takes most of the day and only runs M, W, F - but
it was fun to prove it can be done.

So was the flight, I'll post it on OLC after the
'official' download.

No, I wasn't jailed for it, just wishful thinking
by Js.

Ian

Old September 3rd 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

wrote:
Gunnar wrote:

[...]

Fred built Owl Canyon, then Waverly West Soaring Ranch, after moving it
east from Waverly. Fred stills flies frequently at 79 or perhaps now
80. He had a nice flight in the CSA LS-4a a few days back. He still
takes the occassional winch launch also. He spoke of his three
diamonds in his K-6CR at last year's Colorado Governor's Seminar.

Fred's life story is very interesting.

Gunnar was my predecessor, once removed, as SSA Colorado governor, and
a good example of how to do it.

Frank Whiteley

Old September 3rd 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Frank Whiteley wrote:
Fred built Owl Canyon, then Waverly West Soaring Ranch, after moving it
east from Waverly. Fred stills flies frequently at 79 or perhaps now
80. He had a nice flight in the CSA LS-4a a few days back. He still
takes the occassional winch launch also. He spoke of his three
diamonds in his K-6CR at last year's Colorado Governor's Seminar.

Fred's life story is very interesting.

Gunnar was my predecessor, once removed, as SSA Colorado governor, and
a good example of how to do it.

Frank Whiteley

I'm glad to hear that Fred is still flying! I heard he had a car wreck
and sold his Libelle which would suggest that flying days are over
especially at his age. If you see him tell him hi from the Woodstock
guy in Iowa.

He sent me a draft of his life story which was indeed very interesting.
I think he was drafted into ME-109s at the age of 17 and survived a
crash landing after being shot down. Apparently that was the easy part
of surviving the Nazi's and the end of the war.

MM

Old September 3rd 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

wrote:
Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

I shall. As a result of the car accident (rear-ended at high speed),
he had several discs fused and lost feeling in his hands for several
months. He regained the feeling and mobility after several months of
physical therapy. He was grounded again last year for a few months
while being fitted with a pacemaker. He may have been a bit hasty in
selling the Libelle, but he's been enjoying the LS-4a and still flies
the G-103 regularly.

Haven't seen the draft, but he started gliders at 14 and by 16 had
amassed 250hrs, mostly on short winch flights. I believe he first flew
an ME while still 16. I know Dennis Wright took a copy of his Diamonds
talk back to Hobbs and I supplied some scans of images, so we may see
an article in Soaring one of these days.

Fred also made a number of scale models of gliders, some of which I
turned into OLC trophies for Colorado.

Frank

Old September 4th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graeme Cant

JS wrote:
More to rejoice about...
I hear that on Friday Ian Cant flew his Russia 500 kilometers from
Tehachapi, California with a couple of turnpoints and landing at Lone
Pine, California.

Congratulations - 500 in a Russia! Great finale to the season.

This Cant OTOH opened the season on Saturday with less than 100 km in
the K6 before outlanding in a lucerne paddock (alfalfa field?). The
first outlanding of spring!

Oh well. Ian's set a target to meet by the end of our season!

Well done!
GC

Crappy Gliders Rejoice! Tony Soaring 9 September 2nd 06 03:30 PM
Special Airworthiness Cert'd-Exp, Exhib&Racing Gliders Jim Culp Soaring 0 July 30th 06 07:04 AM
Hanger and gliders hit by storm. [email protected] Soaring 6 February 1st 05 01:44 AM
Production rates? Ed Byars Soaring 38 November 24th 04 04:13 PM
Underwater Gliders Burt Compton Soaring 6 November 25th 03 04:43 AM