Reconstructing Maintenance Logbooks

Old January 19th 20, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

Default Reconstructing Maintenance Logbooks

Original owner passed on and original factory logbook was lost at that time.. Registration is current and airworthiness (standard) certificate is present. There are five ADs that apply by manufacturer and type and a sixth that may apply but until inspected will not know for sure. What has the FAA typically required or accepted on these and is there an AC that covers specifics to sailplanes? The 'official' maintenance manual reflects a 3000 hour maintenance inspection process ("available on request from the manufacturer") which can extend the life to 6000 hours. It seems unlikely that this bird has even touched 500 hours much less 1000 and certainly nowhere near 3000 hours.

Old January 19th 20, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

What type of glider? Unlikely on the time means nothing to the FAA or your neighborhood IA who is probably going to sign it off. A PDF of a log book entry would be helpful. (To the IA.)
Old January 19th 20, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

An IA's documentation for annual signatures required total time. So someone is going to have to figure out the total time on the aircraft.
Old January 19th 20, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 11:53:07 PM UTC-5, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
Original owner passed on and original factory logbook was lost at that time. Registration is current and airworthiness (standard) certificate is present. There are five ADs that apply by manufacturer and type and a sixth that may apply but until inspected will not know for sure. What has the FAA typically required or accepted on these and is there an AC that covers specifics to sailplanes? The 'official' maintenance manual reflects a 3000 hour maintenance inspection process ("available on request from the manufacturer") which can extend the life to 6000 hours. It seems unlikely that this bird has even touched 500 hours much less 1000 and certainly nowhere near 3000 hours.

The FAA maintenance file on the aircraft(assumes Std catagory and 337's filed for repairs) may be of some help.
Also, if one knows who inspected the aircraft they may have info on times in his or her records.
UH
Old January 19th 20, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This was covered in A&P school, AI needs to certify all applicable AD’s have been accomplished, accomplish annual inspection and make log entry stating original log book lost, estimated Total Time is.........
The deceased owners personal pilot log book may have the information needed..
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old January 19th 20, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

Grob 102 Astir IIIB. Five and a possible sixth AD that I have found and read. The wing spigots are not done. Helmut Lindner advised the parts are still available, they only insist that we buy them from their sole North American representative. I won't go into the dialog that followed on that. I'll only say that I'm grateful that we've got two IAs here in Tennessee who do composites and I plan on doing even more business with them in the coming months.

Even if the FAA disagrees with our best estimate of actual flight time it would only add the "extension of life" inspection which for this aircraft at 3000 hours would already be covered in part by the spigot replacement or inspections we've already got to do.

The FSDO is reviewing what I've got so far and hopefully we'll get an answer this week.

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate the help.
Old January 20th 20, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Deming Gray

Hi, could you share the contact info on the two IAs? My email is . I am in need of one too. Thanks. D