The F14 vs what we are doing now

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 25th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

Default The F14 vs what we are doing now

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:56:43 GMT, Shmaryahu b. Chanoch
wrote:

The History Channel recently had a piece on the F14. I did not realize that
plane came out of the F111 program. Nor that it could track 24 enemy targets,
engaging up to 6 at a time (and at long range).

The question is whether we still need an platform that can do long range combat.
We have dropped the AAAM (AIM-155) which was to be a replacement for the Phoenix
(AIM-54) (http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...tions/aaam.htm)
Nor do we have a radar equal to what was on the F14.

Also they commented on how the F14 was a better platform than the F15 (which had
some real survivability)

Any insights?

The F-14 was probably the first operational system with reliable
track-while-scan capability. (I'm sure the Luftwaffe had something
similar during 1943, but it didn't reach full production....nahhhh.)
The ability to track targets while still searching for others was a
significant advantage. IIRC, they demonstrated the six-target
engagement capability and successfully splashed all six independently
flown drones.

The real threat that the F-14 was designed for was the ASM's of the
Soviet bombers--systems like Kitchen and Kelt. That threat is no
longer very high on the priority list.

Today we've got more force integration with AWACs (or similar) doing
the long range detection and target allocation for the interceptors.
That offloads a requirement for some sensors capability from the
fighter to the larger platform.

One could also make the argument that a follow-on to AIM-54 isn't
required--threat is gone and the fact that the system was never used
in combat during its life cycle would indicate that other weapons
would have a higher priority for budget $$.

As for the F-14 as "a better platform than the F-15"--you would have
to caveat that with some mission parameters. Both aircraft have been
very good and each has some corners of the operational envelope in
which it is superior.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"