ELT's are a joke

Old November 17th 03, 09:04 PM
Ged McKnight

Joining this thread pretty late, but has anyone considered
buying the Breitling Emergency wrist watch??
It has its own built in emergency transmitter on 121.5

www.breitling.com professional emergency

will give full details

Ged

At 19:12 17 November 2003, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Buck Wild wrote:
I've said it before, though I haven't done an extensive
web search on
it,
There's gotta be an elt available that sends one short
burst with your
exact GPS location to a satalite, instead of having
the boy scouts try
to hunt down an AM signal with a directional antenna,

Does ATC radar log the radar positions of VFR traffic
squawking 1200? I
know they do it for codes assigned to airliners. If
they did, it might
provide a way to locate crashed glider that was using
a transponder.

--
-----
Replace 'SPAM' with 'charter' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old November 18th 03, 08:07 AM
RamyYanetz

Why not using HAM radios instead (under license of course)? I used the Kenwood
unit with hang gliders over 5 years ago, but at the time it wasn't completly
reliable. If anyone experimented with it and can recommend a complete setup
from GPS to web site where flights can be tracked real time, I will love to
hear about it.

Ramy
Old November 18th 03, 08:44 AM
Bert Willing

I guess this is just a marketing gadget. No automatic triggering, very
limited range, small batteries...

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

message de ...

Buck Wild wrote:
I've said it before, though I haven't done an extensive
web search on
it,
There's gotta be an elt available that sends one short
burst with your
exact GPS location to a satalite, instead of having
the boy scouts try
to hunt down an AM signal with a directional antenna,

Does ATC radar log the radar positions of VFR traffic
squawking 1200? I
know they do it for codes assigned to airliners. If
they did, it might
provide a way to locate crashed glider that was using
a transponder.

--
-----
Replace 'SPAM' with 'charter' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Is this a fake or a joke? Andrew Chaplin Military Aviation 0 March 29th 04 12:04 PM
On Topic Joke Eric Miller Home Built 8 March 6th 04 03:01 AM
EU as joke (modified) Cub Driver Military Aviation 241 November 17th 03 04:55 PM
American joke on the Brits ArtKramr Military Aviation 50 September 30th 03 10:52 PM