Any towplanes near Big Piney, WY?

Old August 13th 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gen

Default Any towplanes near Big Piney, WY?

I flew out of Logan, UT yesterday, and unexpectedly landed out on Big
Piney airport (KBPI) in WY. Since Logan is hosting a contest now, they
can't aeroretrieve me until they launch all gliders, possibly until
5pm or so. If there is any towplane nearby which can give me a tow
sooner, please call me at 650-276-0185. I already know Driggs is
closed until September.

By the way, Big Piney is a good place to landout. The pilot lounge is
open after hours, and it has a nice couch, a bathroom with shower, a
PC with internet connection, and even a bigscreen TV with satellite. I
looked up local restaurants on the net, called one of them, and have
my dinner delivered to the airport. They also have a courtesy car
(which I didn't know till this morning) if you want to stay in a motel
in town.

-Gen
Old August 14th 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J A

Also, considering it's size, there is a good steakhouse in town, and a
nice market with good coffee that is open early. Both are in the middle
of town.

Hope you find a tow, can't help you there unfortunately.

Old August 15th 09, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Emergency Space Blanket.

On Aug 14, 8:30*am, J A wrote:
[...]

We received this note from Gen along with a great photo of him using
the Franklin Fabrication Silver Canopy Cap as an emergency space
blanket. I suppose we'll have to update the instruction sheet to cover
this new usage!

Hi Dan,

I'm flying at Logan, UT now. The day before yesterday, I had my first
overnight landout at an airport 100 miles away from Logan. The airport
had a nice pilot lounge with a couch I could sleep on, but the heating
wasn't working well, and I woke up at night. Then I remembered I had
your canopy cover in the cockpit. I usually keep it on the canopy
until right before take off, and just roll it into the back of the
headrest. It turned out to be a good emergency blanket. Its size is
right, and it keeps the body heat pretty well. Attached is an
instructional photo of the usage.

-Gen
Old August 15th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gen

Thanks for the info. I managed to find a tow pilot at Pinedale, but he
didn't have a towplane to tow me with. Towplane from Logan came around
5:30pm, and I made it back to Logan safely. I missed a day, but it
wasn't too good a day, so I didn't have much regret.
While waiting, the area was hit by a storm with heavy rain and 40+ kts
of wind. Luckily, the airport had a huge hanger and they were kind
enough to let me put my glider in it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gens2000...93960420096242

Another pilot landed out on Antelope Run which is just 15 miles north
of Big Piney. I heard that there was nothing there, and he had to
sleep in his glider. I guess I had a lot of luck this time.

-Gen