Flatlanders should explore R4S @ BRSS New Castle, VA Site

Old January 31st 18, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flatlanders should explore R4S @ BRSS New Castle, VA Site

Dear Flatlanders,

Last year, I had the privelege of flying in the R4 South contest in New Castle, VA, spanning over the 3rd week of September. I had little to no previous ridge flying experience, and was even cautioned by one top ranked pilot not to fly here. I'm glad I didn't listen. While this certainly is a technical soaring site there's no need to fly in such a way you don't always have an airport or known field to land in. Moreover, R4S organizers added an "OLC" class for beginners looking to explore the site and learn the area. This worked quite well and alleviated any undue pressure one may have experienced to complete a task they weren't comfortable with.

The take away here is that if one exercises caution and prudence they can build up knowledge of this site over a period of years before ever making the decision to fly competitively here, which begs the question, if you come here to fly conservatively and to learn the site, why not take part in one of the friendliest, most hospitable soaring contests of the year? Why not learn from the experts and enjoy the beautiful scenery New Castle has to offer?

IMHO, Flatlanders shouldn't fear New Castle. Rather, they should come here to learn the site and take in everything it has to offer. The folks at Blue Ridge Soaring Society dedicate themselves to hosting a first-rate contest. I fell in love with this place crewing for a friend here more than a dozen years ago and my only regret is that it took me so long to come back.

Flatlanders (and big sky pilots who soar out west) ought to consider flying here this year. My understanding is that BRSS always hosts R4S the week of Sept. 20th.

Warning: you're probably going to fall in love with the place and never go home. Seriously though, I intend to come back every year until I nolonger can, and the reasons for doing so are too numerous to list.

Thanks to everyone who makes this place so great!

Sincerely,

Chris Schrader

BRSS Boomerang? Linwood Stevenson Soaring 2 June 7th 16 07:46 PM
Explore this WX tool Frank Whiteley Soaring 4 December 22nd 10 08:27 PM
BRSS R4S See You Scott Alexander[_2_] Soaring 4 November 23rd 09 04:42 PM
Explore the ISS Larry Dighera Piloting 9 August 26th 07 02:02 AM
Two proposals to explore Dynamic Soaring Matt Herron Jr. Soaring 9 January 23rd 07 10:45 AM