What a race in Chile today!!!

Old January 17th 18, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What a race in Chile today!!!

Kawa in 1st. Two JS-1s, then a V2, then a V3. All within 5 seconds, identical avg speed for all four!!!
Old January 17th 18, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 21:35 17 January 2018, wrote:
Kawa in 1st. Two JS-1s, then a V2, then a V3. All within 5 seconds,
identical avg speed for all four!!!

Looks like Tilo was second in a V3 to me...

RO

Old January 17th 18, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You’re right. It changed. Maybe penalty points.
Old January 17th 18, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 4:29:58 PM UTC-6, wrote:
You’re right. It changed. Maybe penalty points.

...and a tie for third, Andres Beeche and Bostjan Pristavec. Was there ever a tie for getting on the podium in Grand Prix racing?
Old January 17th 18, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

caught the last 30km or so on the live tracking. Very fun to watch. Tilo went a little deeper into the steering turn and Kawa passed him in the last 3 km. Everything was bunching up tight at the end. Had to have been quite a thrill in the cockpit.
Old January 18th 18, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Meanwhile in America, the SSA is promoting crazy MAT’s and boring TAT’s with 30 mile radius’s. Nobody knows who wins the day which flew different directions at different times of the day until they are compared via a computer formula and posted hours later.

So anticlimactic and boring!!

It is time for the USA to wake up and join in with the rest of the world. Grand Prix is the future of soaring! It is time for you to quit following the lousy traditions that are in sync with a cult religious like following of which does nothing but lower attendance to the sport year after year.

To the O.P. - yes, absolutely a thrilling race! It was truly enjoyable for the experienced soaring pilot and the first time spectator alike!

Old January 18th 18, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Watching the last 100km and the ti-the-wire finish was very exciting. Having the commentary from a local really added to the quality of the coverage.

Paul A.
Old January 18th 18, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm not sure why Wilbur thinks the SSA ultimately won't embrace SGP. I cant speak for the RC but I know a lot of top competition pilots who've come to like SGP and there's even talk of testing and sanctioning a Formula 1.0 type race in 2019, maybe here in Michigan or Kansas. Hell, if I had an 18m ship I'd be flying 2018 SGP Orlando too. Btw, a significant portion of SSA sanction fees largely go towards supporting the Junior Contest Rebate Program and other Junior initiatives. I can't speak to why SGP Ionia wasnt sanctioned but I don't believe there's any grand conspiracy against SGP in the USA.. Presently 3 of the SSA's Board Members are registered to fly in 2018 SGP Orlando I believe. I would think they might support an effort to sanction and promote SGP racing in the U.S. in an effort to grow the sport and offer more opportunities for people to compete. Food for thought. As for the SGP Finals, I'm glad Tom Kelley has gone down to Chile to represent the USA. Maybe in future years others will go too and someday we'll be competitive in the format. I wish 7T had been able to go to Chile. I know he would have given it his very best and I suspect would have been competitive had he gone. Mountain flying is not easy though. It would be nice to see a younger breed of pilots with extensive Mtn and Ridge flying experience pursue a SGP title.

- Chris Schrader
Old January 18th 18, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What ULR are you using to watch it with commentary?

WH