Smoking, etc. in cockpit

Old August 15th 09, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Default Smoking, etc. in cockpit

On Aug 14, 10:52*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Aug 14, 8:01*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:52:58 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:
Worth repeating. *Many years ago in the UK, a Std Cirrus pilot
apparently dropped his lighter into the front of the cockpit, undid his
straps to recover it, and PIO'd himself out through the canopy.
Parachute worked though.

I recall a similar story-Cirrus pilot dropped his screwdriver while
adjusting TE for a vario.

Did this happen more than once or is it apocryphal?

I ask this because Martin Simons describes an almost identical event at
Waikerie around 1971. See "Sailplanes 1965-2000" page 147.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Can't say. *Related to me in the late 1970's as a UK incident, but
maybe the provincials still consider OZ part of the empire;^)

Frank

Old August 15th 09, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

FYI:

www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2000/may/07may12-15.pdf

The empire crumbled long ago Frank, let it go.
Old August 15th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 21:42 14 August 2009, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
There's that scene in The Sunship Game where Gleb opens the sliding
window in the canopy of his Cirrus and flicks out a cigarette butt...

The idea that folks used to toss cigarette butts out over forested areas
is sort of appalling, isn't it?

Jim Beckman

Old August 15th 09, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Aug 15, 5:45*am, Jim Beckman wrote:
At 21:42 14 August 2009, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

There's that scene in The Sunship Game where Gleb opens the sliding
window in the canopy of his Cirrus and flicks out a cigarette butt...

The idea that folks used to toss cigarette butts out over forested areas
is sort of appalling, isn't it? *

Jim Beckman

some idiots in cars still do it!

Brad
Old August 15th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 14:07 15 August 2009, Brad wrote:
On Aug 15, 5:45=A0am, Jim Beckman wrote:
At 21:42 14 August 2009, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

There's that scene in The Sunship Game where Gleb opens the sliding
window in the canopy of his Cirrus and flicks out a cigarette butt...

The idea that folks used to toss cigarette butts out over forested

areas
is sort of appalling, isn't it? =A0

Jim Beckman

some idiots in cars still do it!

Brad

No worse than thermalling over a stubble fire in Slingsbys open cockpit,
wood and fabric, T21, watching lumps of burning straw disappear upwards
past the wingtip. Flying was also a bit difficult what with the coughing
from the smoke and the watery eyes but the lift was incredible.
Old August 15th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Gaines[_2_]

I have soared in Southern France and Northern Texas.
Texas was over giant stockyard. The odor of cow dung went up several
thousand feet in big thermals.
In sourthern France, the sweet smell of lavender in thermals.
GA

Old August 16th 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Aug 15, 3:45*pm, Robert Gaines
wrote:
*I have soared in Southern France and Northern Texas.
*Texas was over giant stockyard. *The odor of cow dung went up several
thousand feet in big thermals.
*In sourthern France, the sweet smell of lavender in thermals.
*GA

How about the smell - or stench - of crude oil or whatever refineries
release into the air over Denver City, TX. It almost made me gag at
over 8,000ft. The lift was good, though. :-)
Uli Neumann
Old August 16th 09, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

*I have soared in Southern France and Northern Texas.
*Texas was over giant stockyard. *The odor of cow dung went up several
thousand feet in big thermals.
*In sourthern France, the sweet smell of lavender in thermals.
*GA

How about the smell - or stench - of crude oil or whatever refineries
release into the air over Denver City, TX. It almost made me gag at
over 8,000ft. The lift was good, though. :-)
Uli Neumann

An Open Cirrus I almost bought a few years back only had like 600
original hours on it. Reason it stopped getting flown was it's pilot
was thermalling over some freshly sprayed field (unknown to him...)
and the thermal also carried with it a toxic cocktail of poison-
rendering him with PERMANENT vertigo and grounding him for life. Most
uncool.

Basically if you can smell it you are consuming it on some level, cow
dung (yummy!) lavender, light fraction solvents/refinery byproducts,
paint, pesticide, pot smoke (the ole' thermaling over a concert/
burning man) whatever, so a 'save' may not actually be such in the
long run. Note- very nasty stuff is sprayed on cotton, as it's not a
food crop. I'm sure there are others that get real nasty stuff too,
but even the stuff we spray on our so called food (pfft-conventional
crops...) here is pretty bad too. Thanks Monsanto's!

-Paul

PS. inspired by my hero Gleb, I too used to smoke in my ship- his old
Sisu! It's metal though, and I NEVER threw butts out (the many times
I've watched Sunship I don't recall seeing Gleb do that, I will watch
again...), burning or not. I haven't smoked for 2-1/2 yrs though, and
don't plan on starting again anytime soon!
Old August 16th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SP

At Tehachapi, back in 1972, we had a 2-32 that had an ashtray
installed. Don't know if it was factory installed or not but it was
one of those chrome flip top lid types. Beirne Lay Jr. (Twelve O'clock
High, etc.) used to come up from LA and fly the 2-32. After he landed,
the ashtray was always jammed full with cigarette butts. Maybe the
ashtray capacity determined how long he could fly!
Steve
Old August 16th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 07:59:44 -0700, GM wrote:

How about the smell - or stench - of crude oil or whatever refineries
release into the air over Denver City, TX. It almost made me gag at over
8,000ft. The lift was good, though. :-) Uli Neumann

I remember getting a good climb off the Stewartby brick kiln. I could see
the smoke travelling horizontally for half a km and then bending sharply
up and going into a nice cloud at 4500 ft, so thought I'd have some of
that. There was absolutely no air movement outside the smoke plume but
there was 5-6 kts inside it all the way to cloud base. The smoke smelt of
burnt diesel oil and hot brick.

It was the only thermal I've centered by sniffing!

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Trying again: Collings Foundation B-17 at Newcastle Airport inDelaware - B-17 cockpit.jpg - B-17 cockpit.jpg (1/5) Jim Breckenridge Aviation Photos 1 August 30th 08 07:36 PM
Trying again: Collings Foundation B-17 at Newcastle Airport in Delaware - B-17 cockpit.jpg - B-17 cockpit.jpg (0/5) Go-dot Aviation Photos 0 August 28th 08 11:39 PM
The sign says... - Smoking Man-3.jpg (1/1) john smith[_2_] Aviation Photos 1 August 2nd 07 06:53 AM
UK Smoking DVD Bruce Soaring 2 December 7th 04 08:31 PM
USS LIBERTY: WE HAVE THE SMOKING GUN! XDangerousDNA Naval Aviation 1 September 14th 03 11:40 PM