some funny (but scary) stuff...

Old February 1st 05, 12:43 AM
Mike W.

"jsmith" wrote in message
That's because KCMH (Port Columbus International Airport, eastnortheast
Columbus OH) are FAA controllers and KOSU (The Ohio State University
Airport/Don Scott Field, northwest Columbus OH) are contract tower.
We have had A LOT of problems with the contract employees at KOSU in the
past year. So much so that the FAA has sent us an address to send
complaints to.

I did my private training there over the last couple of years, you're right,
they do get a little over the top sometimes. I had one yell at me once for
stopping on his runway (9L) after being cleared for the option, just to name
one incident. I have heard them get on people lots of times, sometimes
deservedly, sometimes not.

Old February 1st 05, 03:13 AM
Flyin'8

Ah... I get it now... :-) Little slow on the uptake I guess.

I was thinking Jet=737, not Jet=F15

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:58:39 GMT, George Patterson

Why would he have a jet off his wing?

Might've busted a TFR.

George Patterson
He who marries for money earns every penny of it.

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
Old February 1st 05, 01:38 PM
Denny

Ya missed Saturday at Jackson (KJXN), Roger, K8OT and I were taking off
on 14 for a left turn to the Northeast... I won't do the transcript
method here..
xxWhiskey calls tower... Tower comes back with wind, altimeter, etc.,
and asks for position... xxWhiskey says he is 4 miles Northeast at
2,400 feet (already has busted into the control area).. I'm now 2 miles
NE climbing through 2k for 3.5k and the puckerstrings jerk tight, and
the eyeballs go into rapid rotation (no joy)), so the nose is pushed
over and I head downhill in a gentle bank, with all four eyeballs on
the swivel... After a few seconds tower says he does not see xxWhiskey,
to turn on his landing lights... Short pause and xxWhiskey says his
landing light was on and 'maybe' he is Northwest of the field, err no,
maybe he's due North, maybe...
Towers voice has gone up a half octave by now, he tells xxWhiskey to
MAINTAIN his altitude and report two miles DUE NORTH of the field...
Tower then holds short an airplane previously cleared to take the
runway on 14 (smart controller) and proceeds to warn all traffic in the
area to be alert... After roughly a minute xxWhiskey comes on,
apologizes saying he has a new GPS and it is a bit confusing, but then
his voice brightens up and he cheerfully announces he is EXACTLY two
miles North of the field... Tower still doesn't see him... Spins around
and finds him two miles SOUTH of the field, down low, and bore sighted
on the control cab ... By now you can feel the controller grinding his
teeth, though he remains civil... xxWhiskey is advised he is to tun to
left base for 32 right NOW (the landing light in the eyes at cab level
must have bothered the controller) and is cleared to land, and to CALL
the tower after landing... I would have loved to eavesdrop on that
phone call...

Denny

Old February 1st 05, 02:24 PM
AJW

I would have loved to eavesdrop on that
phone call...

Denny

Just a little off topic: I played golf with a priest, and asked him how he
could enjoy the game given he had to restrict his language. He told me he found
he could quote scripture to express his feelings. I wonder if the controller
was an old testiment scholar?
Old February 1st 05, 09:34 PM
Morgans

"Judah" wrote

Which scripture passages contain four-letter words?

I remember that "ass" are referred to quite a bit. g
--
Jim in NC

Old February 1st 05, 10:03 PM
Jay Beckman

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Judah" wrote

Which scripture passages contain four-letter words?

I remember that "ass" are referred to quite a bit. g
--
Jim in NC

But only in close connection with the word "jawbone" IIRC.

:O)

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old February 1st 05, 10:07 PM
alexy

"Morgans" wrote:

"Judah" wrote

Which scripture passages contain four-letter words?

I remember that "ass" are referred to quite a bit. g

Well, I'm not sure about the Hebrew or Greek translations, but in the
original King James, it only has 3 letters! g,d,&r)
Old February 4th 05, 09:55 AM
Roger

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:58:39 GMT, George Patterson

Why would he have a jet off his wing?

Might've busted a TFR.

It were!

The guy was absolutely clueless. Must have been related to the pilot
to which Denny referred.

Some where back in the archives there should be a
transcription/narration of the conversation.

There were about 6 or 8 of us in the hanger and the laughter was so
loud it was difficult to hear the radio.

Some years back I was southbound at roughly 190 MPH talking to Ft
Wayne app while trying to stay low enough to stay out of the clag and
high enough not to hit something. It was not a good day but at least I
knew where I was and so did they. Well as good as we could with VORs
and DME.

I figured I'd just keep heading for the VOR unless, or until they said
something. Finally in an apologetically sounding voice I heard...
Ahhh... thirty three romeo, we really need you to turn heading zero
nine zero for traffic avoidance. I responded with an immediate turn
and they responded with a thank you and told me when it was safe to
turn south again. :-))

Coming back from the north today I had one eye on the temperature and
the other on the wings. I didn't want to file as that would have
added about 3000 to my current 3000 which would have put me in the
soup which was a tad frosty. (and the weather forecast was for blue
sky)

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com