More electronic gadgets = lower IQ?

Old October 23rd 14, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default More electronic gadgets = lower IQ?

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:08:15 PM UTC-4, Craig R. wrote:
;-) Perhaps we can infer a correlation between the proliferation of electronic gadgets in our cockpits with the dumbing down of glider pilots? There are Standford University studies that indicate that multitasking can lower your IQ or that "people who are regularly bombarded with several streams of electronic information cannot pay attention, recall information, or switch from one job to another as well as those who complete one task at a time".
http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbr...udies-suggest/
RAS posts seem to verify these studies!
So, the obvious solution is to dump all the spendy computers, fly with basic instruments, enjoy the scenery, and preserve the gray matter!
Fly safe and have fun.

I'd have to agree with Kirk 66. Flying my glider completely focuses my attention as only a few other activities (such as piano or juggling) can. After flying I frequently marvel that not once during the rigging, flying or derigging has my day job even briefly crossed my mind. AW
Old October 23rd 14, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\

You can pick any two tasks or fly an monitor one instrument at a time; but only two tasks!

Science. 2010 Apr 16;328(5976):360-3. doi: 10.1126/science.1183614.
Divided representation of concurrent goals in the human frontal lobes.
Charron S, Koechlin E.
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Paris F-75654 Cedex 13, France.
Abstract
The anterior prefrontal cortex (APC) confers on humans the ability to simultaneously pursue several goals. How does the brain's motivational system, including the medial frontal cortex (MFC), drive the pursuit of concurrent goals? Using brain imaging, we observed that the left and right MFC, which jointly drive single-task performance according to expected rewards, divide under dual-task conditions: While the left MFC encodes the rewards driving one task, the right MFC concurrently encodes those driving the other task. The same dichotomy was observed in the lateral frontal cortex, whereas the APC combined the rewards driving both tasks. The two frontal lobes thus divide for representing simultaneously two concurrent goals coordinated by the APC. The human frontal function seems limited to driving the pursuit of two concurrent goals simultaneously.
PMID:
20395509
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20395509

Translation for non-neuroscientists:

Often we compare current computer processors with human brain, we consider human brain to be superior at certain things: It's ability to learn, adapt and react. But how does our brain react to multitasking?
We might have adopted quad cores on the desktops, but a new study reveals that human brain is capable of processing only two tasks at a time, something close to a HyperThreading on a single core processor.
When faced with two tasks, a part of the brain known as the Medial Prefrontal Cortex (MFC) divides so that half of the region focuses on one task and the other half on the other task. This logical partitioning allows a person to get hold of two tasks at a time without affecting much performance. (of course it varies by individual skill). And when we attempt to throw a third task to the brain, its easy to have poor performance in two or all of them.
For instance we can talk on phone while walking in a street or even while working on something on computer. As per the study researcher Etienne Koechlin of the Université Pierre et Marie Curie in Paris, France:
"What really the results show is that we can readily divide tasking. We can cook, and at the same time talk on the phone, and switch back and forth between these two activities. However, we cannot multitask with more than two tasks."
For the very same reason its discouraged to drive and talk on phone where both tasks use Brain heavily and context switching can cause delays, sometimes. However, listening to music and driving is much safer since listening to music hardly uses the brain.
Multitasking in the brain
Scientists knew that a region at the very front of the brain, called the anterior prefrontal cortex (APC), was involved in multitasking. But they weren't sure how the MFC was involved.
The research experiment
Koechlin and his colleagues conducted an experiment to study human brain activity in reaction to various situations. The test involved 32 subjects who were give a letter-matching task while they had scanners attached to their head. These scanners were essentially functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). The subjects were given a set of uppercase letters and task was to determine whether those letters were presented in the correct order in order to spell out a certain word. For every successful attempt, they were awarded with cash.
It was observed, that higher the monetary reward, the more activity there was in the MFC. (That proves the greed lies in Brain and not heart )
The next test made the task more difficult by introducing lowercase letters in addition to uppercase. As a result, brain had to switch back and forth between matching the uppercase letters to spell out, say, aSmEOwE (Awesome)
During this dual task, the MFC did its job and divided it. One hemisphere of the brain encoded uppercase letter task, and so showed activity during that task, while the other region encoded the reward associated with the lowercase task, Koechlin said.
To test the human brain's response to three tasks, the researchers introduced a third letter-matching task. The accuracy dropped drastically. Logically, once each hemisphere was occupied with managing one task, there was nowhere for the third task to go. Clearly, The human brain perform as if they systematically forget one of the three tasks.
Brain's Decision-making
The results also explain why its harder for human brain to make choices between three objects as compare to two.
The human brain is good at remembering two things at a time hence efficiently compare them and make decisions. When options are multiple, human brain discards the choices by considering two (at max, at a time) until they are left with two and then one.
Read mo http://geeknizer.com/human-brain-mul...#ixzz3GvHU0KYf

Old October 23rd 14, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

So, the obvious solution is to dump all the spendy computers, fly with basic instruments, enjoy the scenery, and preserve the gray matter!

Folks, let's not get too carried away on a tongue-in-cheek post.
However, there are certain aspects of those studies that we should take heed of. The information supplied to the glider pilot continues to increase year after year and that is undeniable. I am a firm believer that our eyes are more and more in the cockpit and that trend is increasing. Let's find a happy medium and fly safe.
And, of course, flying (& driving, etc) is multitasking.

Old October 23rd 14, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote, On 10/22/2014 5:02 PM:
[...]

The Forbes article was not a very good one, because it did not tell us
what a "task" is. They gave examples like writing an email during a
meeting, but how do we relate that to glider flying?

Fact is, "glider flying" is an activity, a complex task that is
comprised of other tasks, such as Aviating, Navigating, and
Communicating. The accomplished pilot chooses the devices that allow him
to best accomplish each of those tasks.

Navigating, for example, might be done simply by looking out the canopy
if the pilot is familiar with area, or in unfamiliar areas with a map,
whether paper or electronic, depending on the skills possessed.
Communicating might be done with a communications radio (requires
talking/listening), or an inReach/SPOT device (little or no pilot action).

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old October 24th 14, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\

Another discussion on this topic:

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A....mc_sect=s ap
Old October 24th 14, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

T8 SAID: What could go wrong?

The government getting involved

And I agree with Kirk its how, and I would add where, its displayed a well organized cockpit is way easier to multitask and keep focus once you learn what and when to ignore and what and when to pay attention!

CH
Old October 27th 14, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Cookie et al:
As promised, now I'm home and found the archived file, the rules for a no-electrics contest! If unfamiliar, the landmarks, etc are in the southwest.
Forgot about some things like no self-launch, EDS or gear warning. More fun..
Jim

Back To Basics Contest
A Handicapped Distance-Only Contest.
Contest dates: July 2nd to July 10th, 2011. This includes two weekends.

Enter as many flights as you wish.
Launch from your favorite spot. Auto or winch launches preferred for nostalgia.
Take photos out the left side of the cockpit of your start point, up to three recognizable turnpoints (judged by other entrants), and the finish point..
Turnpoint photos do not need to be taken in the FAI sector, but cannot be from short of the turn. (The sector is expanded to 180 degrees)
The finish photo can be from the ground.
The left wing tip must be in each photo.
Each turnpoint must be a named feature, examples: White Mountain, Lone Pine Airport, Bird Spring Pass microwave tower, or The junction of route 395 and route 6. Not all of these names are on aeronautical charts, but it is the pilot's responsibility to describe the feature.
Maximum launch height cannot be confirmed by your GPS trace as there isn't one, but keep it to 3500'.
No self-launches, including retrieves.
Batteries may only be carried as ballast.
Aircraft or Amateur radios, cell phones, SPOT can be carried (turned off) for emergency use. Anything other than emergency use is not permitted until the glider is back in the trailer (hangar, tiedown). ELTs are OK.
No flight computers, no moving maps, no electric or audio varios, including portable battery powered ones.
No Electronic Pulse Delivery Oxygen systems or fingertip Oximeters. Only old school! I may have a spare Nelson or Aerox regulator if someone really needs it, but you can connect a cannula and flow meter directly to the MH regulator.
FLARM and Transponder will be turned OFF. Label the TXP "INOP" in case you're ramp checked.
Other than a watch, the only electric instrument allowed is a digital camera. Analog cameras are difficult to find, and involve paying someone to develop film. (and we know glider pilots can be "thrifty").
The proposed rule, that would have required in-flight insurance be dropped for the week even though you never use it, was left out.

Your best flight will be scored by examining the photos, then measured in SeeYou (I lost my bit of string). The latest published Sports Class handicaps from SSA will be used. The handicaps account for items like open or enclosed cockpit and fixed or retractable landing gear.
The SeeYou .cup file with all entries will be published on the Tehachapisoaring newsgroup.
You may make other flights and upload to the OLC during this week, but those flights are not allowed in this contest.
To appease those who whined about use of water ballast, this is a dry contest.

A flashlight and a strobe light may be carried in the cockpit for "no penalty" use after landing out. Again, cell phones can be carried (switched off) for emergency use, or use after the glider is back in the trailer, tied down at home or in the hangar.
SPOT can be carried (switched off) for emergency "911" use only.
Gear warning systems are not permitted. If it runs on it's own battery, disconnect that battery.
No electric canopy mechanisms or electric landing gear systems can be used.

All batteries must be disconnected from the instrument panel, not just switched off (I know it's a pain in the neck for DG800, AS-H26E, Carat, etc. so we can allow the master key to be left behind or stored out of reach if it kills all of the batteries). Solar panels may not be used to power any instruments.
Outside of emergency use after a landout but before the crew arrives, using the aircraft radio or a handheld device (radio, SPOT, APRS, cell phone, etc) voids that flight. I've been asked too many times about cell phones, so it's repeated.
You may not call your crew on their cell phone until the glider is in the trailer, home tiedown or hangar.
It's up to observers at the launch point to ensure everyone behaves. This is also covered by Rule #11 stolen from the Berle Trophy rules versions 1 and 2, which is modified to:
11) Anyone caught exaggerating their distance or using electricity in flight shall be laughed at in public. Exaggeration includes using nonexistent turnpoints.

So dig out your old telephone calling card, those dusty paper charts, the old O2 rig, your official SSA Dial-A-Prayer Wheel, and your hiking boots!

There is a prize!
The winner gets one free round trip anywhere within the lower 48 states on your choice of either American or United. I'll donate the miles from my account (which Mark refers to as "the perpetual motion machine").

For each entry, e-mail your photographs, description of the flight (launch place, launch height, start point, up to 3 turnpoints, landing point) and name of your observer to:
(your name here)
before midnight on Tuesday July 12th. I'll be in Europe at that point, but will get the winner announced as soon as I can. If there are turnpoint photos which I can't connect with the description, those photos may be e-mailed to others for a look.

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:45:40 PM UTC-7, Cookie wrote:
$500..!!!

I'm "in"...When's the next contest? Why not run it at Wurtsboro or Blairstown?

Cookie

Old November 3rd 14, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

In my experience when people start referring to something as a "gadget" their minds have already been "made up."

I use an Oudie (or mobile phone running XC Soar or iGlide), an SN10, a FLARM brick and a Nano. With the exception of the Flarm (which is completely autonomous), all of these products do exactly the same thing as their predecessors (map & data for nav, audio vario, flight logger). The only difference (debatable) is that they are slightly better, smaller or more efficient than their predecessors. By no means are any of them outrageously expensive based on the sport of flying/soaring norms. These products simply make basic navigation and thermaling easier (and perhaps more reliable and convenient) than using a paper map or constantly looking at a non-audio vario. In reality, these "gadgets" are hardly looked at during the flights, even in National contests.

Now, this thread is well down the path of suggesting that those that use newer tech are perhaps less intelligent, etc. That is interesting. No glider systems that I see on the market are really very mind blowing or change what you do during a flight significantly. Most of us simply have some form of map, an audio vario (all based on the exact same basic technology) and perhaps some form of flight data logger. You hardly use these gadgets while in the air. 99% of the time the glider pilots eyes are out the window looking at clouds, terrain and of course looking out for other airplanes and gliders (enter Flarm as an added audio assistant for that function). How are these gadgets changing how we all fly again? What is different between the guy with "gadgets" and the proper "old school" pilot exactly?

All I can say is, Wow. I think this thread is becoming "a bit" overblown.