A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Allstar SZD-54 Perkoz Info? US Dealer?

Old May 3rd 21, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Allstar SZD-54 Perkoz Info? US Dealer?

Hello, trying to get some information together on this glider for club purchase consideration, but I cannot find a US dealer for it. Am I just missing an obvious one? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this glider--observations on how suitable it would be to replace a club Grob 103? Thank you,

Mark
Old May 3rd 21, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

On Monday, 3 May 2021 at 16:47:11 UTC+1, wrote:
Hello, trying to get some information together on this glider for club purchase consideration, but I cannot find a US dealer for it. Am I just missing an obvious one? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this glider--observations on how suitable it would be to replace a club Grob 103? Thank you,

Mark

I think it has been quite well received by some UK clubs - basic trainer, much more suitable for spin training than the ASK21, aerobatic glider and ok cross country machine with 20m tips. Looks like a rival to the DG1001. In the UK I heard that a full kit with trailer etc and the three sets of tips cost a UK club about £125k a couple of years ago. My club has a fleet of K21's, a Duo and we use a single K13 for spin training - we couldn't justify the cost of changing the K13 for a Perkoz, and it wouldn't be quite as good or nice as the Duo for cross country.
Old May 3rd 21, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob Russell
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 11:47:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I think the Canadian dealer might be able to point you in the right direction: https://www.windpath.ca/index.php/contact-us

There's one at the Edmonton Soaring Club
Old May 4th 21, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 12:40:44 PM UTC-4, Rob Russell wrote:

I think the Canadian dealer might be able to point you in the right direction: https://www.windpath.ca/index.php/contact-us

There is a privately owned one at Toronto Soaring Club too. I don’t think Windpath has the SZD dealership anymore. Jerzy said something about SZD axing their dealer network.
Old May 4th 21, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 9:58:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 12:40:44 PM UTC-4, Rob Russell wrote:

There is a privately owned one at Toronto Soaring Club too. I don’t think Windpath has the SZD dealership anymore. Jerzy said something about SZD axing their dealer network.

No TC in the US means no carriage for compensation. Rides and instruction could not generate revenue.
Old May 4th 21, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 10:37:04 PM UTC-7, wrote:
No TC in the US means no carriage for compensation. Rides and instruction could not generate revenue.

No US certification would be a problem, which is unfortunate. This glider could fit into a unique, more affordable need for more than just my club, it seems.

For two place composite gliders, it seems there's basically two camps: dedicated trainers (17-18m) with low-ish performance and high-performance, cross-country machines with long wingspans unsuitable for basic training (20+m).. But, both types of performance are needed on the training continuum at different times and few cross that divide with one platform. The only other 'adaptable' two seater where a shorter span could be used for daily training, but added wingspan added for higher-performance cross country, is the DG1001. But, I am guessing the DG1001 is much more expensive than the SZD-54-2..

Seems like there's a market for such adaptable trainers in the US as the older Grob & ASK-21s retire. Don't know about your clubs, but our Grobs are kind of beat up.
Old May 4th 21, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]
external usenet poster

On 04/05/2021 16:34, wrote:

For two place composite gliders, it seems there's basically two camps: dedicated trainers (17-18m) with low-ish performance and high-performance, cross-country machines with long wingspans unsuitable for basic training (20+m). But, both types of performance are needed on the training continuum at different times and few cross that divide with one platform. The only other 'adaptable' two seater where a shorter span could be used for daily training, but added wingspan added for higher-performance cross country, is the DG1001. But, I am guessing the DG1001 is much more expensive than the SZD-54-2.

I don't know US/Canada pricing but in the UK my club has looked at this,
although not moved forward with either due to recent lack of operations
and uncertainty in the recent past. Yes the DG1001 is more expensive but
for something you may own and operate for many years the price of a
DG1001 Club NEO against a Perkoz may be less than you think. Check with
the agents.

--

Nick Hill
Old May 4th 21, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]
external usenet poster

On 04/05/2021 16:34, wrote:

For two place composite gliders, it seems there's basically two camps: dedicated trainers (17-18m) with low-ish performance and high-performance, cross-country machines with long wingspans unsuitable for basic training (20+m). But, both types of performance are needed on the training continuum at different times and few cross that divide with one platform. The only other 'adaptable' two seater where a shorter span could be used for daily training, but added wingspan added for higher-performance cross country, is the DG1001. But, I am guessing the DG1001 is much more expensive than the SZD-54-2.

I don't know US/Canada pricing but in the UK my club has looked at this,
although not moved forward with either due to recent lack of operations
and uncertainty in the recent past. Yes the DG1001 is more expensive but
for something you may own and operate for many years the price of a
DG1001 Club NEO against a Perkoz may be less than you think. Check with
the agents.

--

Nick Hill
Old May 3rd 21, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 9:47:11 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Mark

There is no US Type Certificate of the SZD-54 Perkoz. There is a TC for EASA and for Canada. It's been 2-3 years since there's been any discussion, but the factory was, at that time, producing all they could make for European (and maybe Canadian) consumption and they had concerns about US liability laws (whether justified or not). If anyone has any updates, please share..

Frank
Old May 10th 21, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 8:47:11 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Mark

If you provide me with your email I will forward to you quite a bit of useful info. Jacek