SPOT Connect - Available February 2011

Old January 7th 11, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default SPOT Connect - Available February 2011

Hi,

I've updated my web site with details and pricing on the new SPOT Connect
unit. It looks very interesting. Its ability to send any 41 character
message through their satellite network could come in extremely handy during
a land out or emergency in a remote area. It uses your "smart phone" for
the user-interface for creating custom messages. It will be compatible with
Android (platform 2.0 or later), iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPads when it is
ready to ship in February - with Blackberry and Microsoft platforms to
follow shortly there after.

You can see details and pre-order he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/spot.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old January 7th 11, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Paul, I already have a Spot 1 with the tracking service plan. If I
get a SPOT Connect, do I get to use my existing service plan for both
devices?

This would let me keep my SPOT 1 in the plane, and have the SPOT
Connect and my iPhone on me in case I bail out, or want to send a more
descriptive message after a landout.

Kirk
66
Old January 7th 11, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 7, 2:35*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Paul, I already have a Spot 1 with the tracking service plan. *If I
get a SPOT Connect, do I get to use my existing service plan for both
devices?

This would let me keep my SPOT 1 in the plane, and have the SPOT
Connect and my iPhone on me in case I bail out, or want to send a more
descriptive message after a landout.

Kirk
66

You can have multiple devices on one account and can share profiles
between devices. I very much doubt that you can activate multiple
devices and pay only one set of fees.

If you could I'd suggest all ASA members use the same account and pay
one only set of fees.

Ask yourself where SPOT gets its income. I doubt it's from hardware
sales as they have been known to almost give them away.

Andy
Old January 8th 11, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Kirk,

I'm pretty certain that each device must have its own account (and
services) - tied to the unit's serial number.

It is possible to move an account from one device to another device - as
when upgrading to a SPOT 2 or SPOT Connect. But it can't be done back and
forth.

Paul Remde

Old January 8th 11, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Jan 7, 1:50*pm, Andy wrote:
[...]

Hurry and get one on order before they give away 12,000 thats 12 with
3 zeros at Sun and Fun.

Richard
Old January 8th 11, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 7, 5:20*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi Kirk,

I'm pretty certain that each device must have its own account (and
services) - tied to the unit's serial number.

The account is tied to the customer and any number of units can be on
one account. That's easily verified by accessing an existing account
and starting the process of adding another unit.

Andy
Old January 8th 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

I don't doubt that one customer can have an account that supports multiple
units. But I'd be surprised if you could pay for (for example) tracking and
basic service only once and have it work for both devices. I think you need
to pay for service for each device. But I could be wrong.

Paul Remde

Old January 8th 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 8, 2:31*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi Andy,

I don't doubt that one customer can have an account that supports multiple
units. *But I'd be surprised if you could pay for (for example) tracking and
basic service only once and have it work for both devices. *I think you need
to pay for service for each device. *But I could be wrong.

No, we agree on that.

Andy

OLC 2011 dhaluza Soaring 12 October 22nd 10 12:02 AM
SSA webinar - how to connect to the first session? Eric Greenwell Soaring 2 March 7th 09 06:12 PM
Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 10:30 PM
HELP:flightgear connect with the matlab aerosim block [email protected] Simulators 0 August 25th 05 03:28 AM
CONNECT THESE DOTS Cribsheet Piloting 1 November 17th 04 08:31 PM