A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

SZD 54 Perkoz

Old January 2nd 17, 07:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default SZD 54 Perkoz

I see there is an old thread on the SZD 54-2 Perkoz but there haven't been any comments since 2007. I'm hoping some of our neighbors across the pond can give us there opinion of the glider. In the US there is a real need for a glider that has the carrying capacity of a Grob103, K-21, DG500/1000, or Duo Discus, that can be used for primary training but can also be used for dual XC WITHOUT breaking the bank (which is what a new K21 or Duo effectively does). It should also be noted that the Perkoz has been designed for aerobatics much like the DG505 or DG1000. Any thoughts on whether this might be a good to advanced trainer for clubs? As of now, clubs on a budget are stuck choosing between buying a used Grob ($50k)or a new K21($90k EU). The K21 costing relatively close to that of a new base model Duo but withoUT the performance and reduced weight of a Duo's 2 part wing. Might the Perkoz fill this need for 2/3 the price and provide the buyer with a product they can also teach aerobatic maneuvers in?
Old January 2nd 17, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei
external usenet poster

Default SZD 54 Perkoz

Hello!

Grob ($50k)or a new K21($90k EU)

It seems quite strange you got such high quotations. Am I missing anything?
http://www.gliderreview.com/glider/schleicher-ask-21

Grob Twin II also usually is cheaper
www.gliderreview.com/glider/grob-g103-twin-ii

--
Jacopo

Old January 2nd 17, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

Default SZD 54 Perkoz

Edmonton Soaring Club brought their new Perkoz to the fall Cowley Camp.
They're quite happy with it. Good XC and easier rigging than the Puchaz.

The one caution about rigging is that there are some small pieces that need

to be carefully kept track of.

Winches great too.

Old January 2nd 17, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default SZD 54 Perkoz

Afrter 3 your xc:

Flies like a dream. Single seater feel. Good performance.
I am 186cm/100kg : I fit in comfortably.

Did not do any real aerobatics but it is used for aerobatic training in nearby club quite extensively.

Go to it!

S
Old January 2nd 17, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default SZD 54 Perkoz

On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 2:00:11 PM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
Edmonton Soaring Club brought their new Perkoz to the fall Cowley Camp.
They're quite happy with it. Good XC and easier rigging than the Puchaz.

The one caution about rigging is that there are some small pieces that need

to be carefully kept track of.

Winches great too.

The only issue for us in the U.S. is that a Type Certificate exists for the Allstar PZL SZD 54-2 in Canada, not here. The prototype Perkoz SN X-148 lives here in Colorado, but is a bit payload challenged, whereas the current production is fine. Perhaps someone can comment on whether a US Type-Certificate is in progress.

Frank Whiteley
Old January 3rd 17, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default SZD 54 Perkoz

We have one at the Edmonton Soaring Club. I have about 45 flights and 45 hours in it. With the shorter tips, it handles very similar to the Puchacz. Spin entry on the Perkoz does not have the same bite as the Puchacz. With long tips on (20m), the roll rate suffers quite a bit and it takes a lot of rudder to get established in a thermal. It is similar to thermalling a DG505 20m; a lot of work. Ground handling is similar to a Puchacz/K21. Much easier than pushing a DG1000 or Duo Discus around. We found the seats are not very comfortable, especially the rear. Most of the time I did not use a parachute in the rear. When I did it got better but still not as comfortable as most other two-seaters I have flown. I have not done any advanced aerobatics in it so I can not comment on that.

Chris
Old January 4th 17, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei
external usenet poster

Default SZD 54 Perkoz

Hello,

I added this glider up to GliderReview growing repository.
http://www.gliderreview.com/glider/a...-szd-54-perkoz

It is now possible to evaluate its characteristics side-by-side vs. ASK 21:
http://www.gliderreview.com/comparin...-szd-54-perkoz

It is also now possible to star-rate it and, if some fan out there is available, to review it on a subjective basis.

Thank you, enjoy :-)

--
Jacopo
Old January 6th 17, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Citrus Soaring
external usenet poster

Default SZD 54 Perkoz

I just received the following email today......

Hello from SZD,

With best wishes for the New Year 2017, I would like to mention, as our heavy-duty SZD-54-2 Perkoz, the only one in the world fully aerobatic doubleseater certified acc. to the CS-22 EASA (also with Canadian Type Certificate), has got many valuable improvements.

So far, our Perkozes have found their new homes in Europe (Poland, Germany, Romania, Bulgaria, France, UK) and over the ocean - in Canada. Next deliveres are on their ways.
Based on only enthusiastic responce, we are proud to provide such unique and highest-quality saiplane for clubs, but also for private Customers.

To meet the expectations of demanding glider pilots as well as based on our own experience (3 demo gliders are flying without any break), we have improved ergonomy, introduced many smart solutions in technology of production and to facilitate further exploitation.

The maintenance has been reduced to minimum, and this is now the annual check (because of regulations) and (or) simply checks every 300 hrs in flight - independently if the glider flies as acro or utility!

The loading to the cockpit (both seats) has been significantly raised, now even for very heavy crew.

Perkoz could be equipped with the newest avionics avaliable on the market, like flight computers, oxygen aso.

Would you be interested in the details and / or familiarization flight, please stay in contact with us, to book the most appropriate date and time for 2017 season.

You are also welcome to visit us during Aero 2017 in Friedrichshafen, but this would be rather to late to schedule potential visit / slot during the coming gliding season.

With best regards and fly safely wishes,

Michal Ombach
--
Michal Ombach
Allstar PZL Glider Sp. z o.o.
(Engineering & Sale Director)