Panther C.A.T. Headset experience

Old March 3rd 05, 08:01 PM

Default Panther C.A.T. Headset experience

In the event anyone is considering a Panther CAT custom-molded headset,
please read my most recent letter to Panther Electronics (below).
Although the headset has proven to be comfortable to wear, and it does
a good job of noise attenuation in my pretty-quiet Diamond Star (DA40),
it took a lonnnnnnnng time to get my headset and I've never had good
audio transmission with it. Tower controllers were always asking me to
repeat my transmission, or even try another microphone. After several
months of adjusting the Panther mike gain, as instructed (and several
phone calls), I finally returned the headset for repair. It turned out
to have a bad microphone, which could happen to anyone. But, Panther's
handling of the whole purchase/service process leaves a lot to be
desired...

Here's my most recent letter to Panther:

Panther,

I returned my headset for repair, while under warranty, and it was
found to have a bad microphone. I paid for the return shipping to
Panther. I would assume that Panther would then pay for the shipping
back to me, at the very least (since my headset was defective).

I received a phone message earlier this week, from Marty, telling me
that my headset was ready to be shipped and asking how I wanted to pay
for the shipping. I left a return message stating that it should be
Panther's responsibility to pay for the shipping of my repaired
headset.

I was shocked to get another message from Marty informing me that the
shipping had been billed to my credit card. Sure enough, my bank shows
a $20 charge for ground shipping by Panther.

The credit card authorization that Panther had was from the original
purchase of my headset, in 2004. Panther did not have authorization to
make further charges against my credit card. That is unethical and
contrary to your agreements with your credit card sales providers.

My entire experience with your company has been fraught with
un-returned email inquiries, excessive delays in production, multiple
conflicting excuses, and then (when I FINALLY got my headset) I find
that it is defective and the audio transmission is terrible. After all
that, I have to pay to ship my defective headset back to your company
and then you have the nerve to charge my credit card without
authorization.

My company's owner has her Panther ear mold kit sitting on her desk.
I am now embarrassed that I recommended a Panther headset to her. I
will encourage her to seek a refund on her Panther headset purchase and
I will make it a point to discourage other pilots from patronizing your
company. If you do not credit the final $20 shipping charge back to my
credit card, I will dispute the charge and inform the credit card
company of your unauthorized transaction.

Sincerely,

Ross Taylor

Old March 10th 05, 01:04 AM
videoguy

wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

If you do not credit the final $20 shipping charge back to my
credit card, I will dispute the charge and inform the credit card
company of your unauthorized transaction.

Sincerely,

Ross Taylor

Why would you wait for them to credit your card? It seems pretty obvious
that this company has either a LOT of problems, or is simply dishonest-- or
BOTH!

You need to dispute the charges immediately, and let them try to justify the
charges. After all, the headset has been shipped hasn't it. They likely
can't call it back mid transit. If you think by giving them the opportunity
to "do the right thing", you will endear yourself to them so they give you
proper warranty service in the future; I fear you are deluding yourself.

Do I sound bitter? Maybe a little. I've made a lot of online purchases
though the years, and the vast majority of them have been exactly as you
would expect. But, they ones that start off badly seldom get much better,
and often deteriorate rapidly into a loss for me. Immediate action would
have saved me about $150 on one transaction alone.

GWK