Groundloop accident at the Senior Contest

Old March 16th 21, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Good

Default Groundloop accident at the Senior Contest

At around 12:54 today, Thomas Johnson (V12 - MiniNumbus) was injured in a takeoff groundloop accident. He was airlifted to an Orlando hospital, where he'll be met by his wife.

Emergency medical personnel were pleased with his vital signs and cautiously optimistic about his prospects for recovery. We'll post an update when a report on his condition is available.
Old March 16th 21, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Good

Pilot is currently reported to be in surgery to address ankle & leg injuries plus a dislocated hip. Doctors are optimistic for a good outcome.
Old March 16th 21, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the update.
Old March 17th 21, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dgtarmichael

Thanks for the update.

Awe, man... Tom was one of my first instructors 30ish years ago. Great guy... wish him a speedy recovery!

-Doug
W24

Old March 17th 21, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

Speedy and complete recovery, Tom.
So sorry to hear of your injury.

Old March 17th 21, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On 3/16/2021 4:41 PM, John Good wrote:
Pilot is currently reported to be in surgery to address ankle & leg injuries plus a dislocated hip.
Doctors are optimistic for a good outcome.

Very sorry to hear and wish Tom a speedy recovery.
This might be good to review:
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.avia...m/2GGBShuhs2oJ
No new ways to crash...
Be safe out there, See ya, Dave

Old March 17th 21, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dave Nadler wrote on 3/16/2021 5:48 PM:
On 3/16/2021 4:41 PM, John Good wrote:
Pilot is currently reported to be in surgery to address ankle & leg injuries plus a
dislocated hip. Doctors are optimistic for a good outcome.

Very sorry to hear and wish Tom a speedy recovery.
This might be good to review:
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.avia...m/2GGBShuhs2oJ
No new ways to crash...
Be safe out there, See ya, Dave

I don't know anything about the accident, but often wonder if a steerable tail wheel would
reduce the number ground loops while towing. Having a steerable tail wheel on my ASH26E really
made an impression on me - no more being a passenger on a ballistic aircraft.

Old March 17th 21, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On 3/16/2021 9:34 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I don't know anything about the accident, but often wonder if a
steerable tail wheel would reduce the number ground loops while towing.
Having a steerable tail wheel on my ASH26E really made an impression on
me - no more being a passenger on a ballistic aircraft.

More important for directional control is the weight on the tail
skid/wheel. A tailwheel (steerable or fixed) doesn't help much
without enough weight in back, which cannot be easily accomplished
without the gear swinging well forward and other design considerations.

Most important is to practice grabbing that release handle,
and expect to have to do it during launch. I lost count of how
many times I had to pull the plug, usually because of poor
tug acceleration and/or poor wing-run. These days when taking a
tow in a motorglider, I take off wing down (on the tip wheel)
to avoid the wing-drop excitement.

Hope that helps!
Best Regards, Dave
Old March 17th 21, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dave Nadler wrote on 3/17/2021 5:56 AM:
[...]

You are right about the weight, which is substantial (by design) on the ASH26E, but some
Schempp-Hirth and DG models have much less, leading to control problems in a cross-wind, and
especially when power is applied during a self-launch.

Wing runner or wing down, my glider has sufficient steering that it's irrelevant to safety
which is used, and I don't want to discourage people trying to be helpful :^) But, a good wing
runner does make it a bit easier on the wing when it's a rough field, especially with ballast.