SPOT Tracking For 2009 Senior Contest at Seminole Lakes, Florida

Old March 8th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MarkHawke7

Default SPOT Tracking For 2009 Senior Contest at Seminole Lakes, Florida

Today is the first contest day for the 2009 Senior Contest at Seminole
Lakes Gliderport in Florida. There are 55 participants and 4 guests
on the contestants list. Of those, we currently have 12 of the
participants who have SPOT Personal Trackers and are being tracked.
There may be more that will be added soon. You can view the tracking
map at:
http://www.soaringpilot.org/snspotmap.htm

Please note, this is still a capability in development but it has
worked reasonable well for the past 4 days or so as the early arrivals
flew each day. I have requests for a similar capability for Perry and
the GTA Race series. I will be putting those together in the next few
days.

-Mark (OA)
Old March 8th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 8, 10:38*am, MarkHawke7 wrote:
Today is the first contest day for the 2009 Senior Contest at Seminole
Lakes Gliderport in Florida. *There are 55 participants and 4 guests
on the contestants list. *Of those, we currently have 12 of the
participants who have SPOT Personal Trackers and are being tracked.
There may be more that will be added soon. *You can view the tracking
map at:http://www.soaringpilot.org/snspotmap.htm

Please note, this is still a capability in development but it has
worked reasonable well for the past 4 days or so as the early arrivals
flew each day. *I have requests for a similar capability for Perry and
the GTA Race series. *I will be putting those together in the next few
days.

-Mark (OA)

Mark;

Looks good.

At what time will the map for March 8 be available????

Paul
Old March 8th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MarkHawke7

Paul,
If you mean the task for the day, I am updating that when they send it
to me. I think John Good is waiting till the gates open and the task
is officially set before he email's me the task. Then I change it and
it shows up online.

Later!

-Mark

Old March 8th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

Mark,
Thanks for making this available! I am considering
getting a SPOT and it is nice to see how it can be
used.

Randy

N304RS
Old March 9th 09, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Mar 8, 10:38*am, MarkHawke7 wrote:
Today is the first contest day for the 2009 Senior Contest at Seminole
Lakes Gliderport in Florida. *There are 55 participants and 4 guests
on the contestants list. *Of those, we currently have 12 of the
participants who have SPOT Personal Trackers and are being tracked.
There may be more that will be added soon. *You can view the tracking
map at:http://www.soaringpilot.org/snspotmap.htm

Please note, this is still a capability in development but it has
worked reasonable well for the past 4 days or so as the early arrivals
flew each day. *I have requests for a similar capability for Perry and
the GTA Race series. *I will be putting those together in the next few
days.

-Mark (OA)

Oh geez. Great Mark. Just great. Another excuse to decrease my
daytime productivity.

Good fun. Thanks for doing this.

P3
Old March 9th 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Mar 9, 4:37*pm, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

Okay, so assuming that the site is working more-or-less correctly,
then it appears that the reliability of the SPOT fixes is a bit
suspect, no? Out of the dozen or so pilots flying with SPOT, it
seems as if about half of them were not transmitting for fairly long
periods of time or "dropped off" entirely. Maybe I'm missing the
details of how SPOT works, but I thought it was supposed to be "fire
and forget" - turn it on and it broadcasts your position at defined
intervals. Of course, it could just be that my ignorance is
showing...

P3
Old March 9th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Everything you wanted to know about SPOT, and a little mo

http://www.wingrigger.com/wingrigger5_005.htm
Old March 9th 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MarkHawke7

As TUNO's awesome analysis document shows, the ability of the device
to transmit is very much dependent on placement and view of the sky
and with the current satellites in view. High up on the shoulder
straps, or even placement elsewhere in the cockpit with a good view
seems best. Down low on your shoulder straps or in the side pocket is
not such a good place. Yesterday and the day before, the posits
seemed to be pretty consistent across the board. Today, a bit
spottier. It is what it is. It's still fun to watch though. :-)

-Mark

Old March 9th 09, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Mar 9, 6:08*pm, Tuno wrote:
Everything you wanted to know about SPOT, and a little mo

http://www.wingrigger.com/wingrigger5_005.htm

Okay, so it turns out that I was pretty much right (rare, but it does
happen) about how SPOT is supposed to work. A quick run through a
fiew of the shared pages of the individual users shows that, while
many of their logs have fairly consistent 10-11 minute intervals
between fixes (which seems to be the intended outcome), almost every
one of them has at least one 30 minute gap. A few of them seem to
have gone AWOL entirely during the course of the flight.

Obviously, having some idea of where a pilot was was 30 minutes ago
sure beats having no clue where to begin looking in the event he goes
missing, but I would have thought that the reliability would be
better than this. In other words, if the unit is mounted
approximately in the right place, I would expect it would deliver a
fix pretty consistently.

I'm not in the least suggesting that it's not a valuable tool (for
safety or for amusement purposes), just curious why so many of the
pilots seemed to be getting less than optimal results.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

P3
Old March 9th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Correction, Mark: the SPOT analysis is Steve Koerner's. He's too
modest to point people to it, and it's too good of an analysis not to
share.

I've been slightly dismayed with the missed reports problem, but I
remain a big fan of SPOT just for its utility in emergency situations
and landouts. Regardless of the whether you have a routine landout or
a serious mishap, the messenger tells your crew exactly where you are
with the "Ok" message, and whether you need more urgent help via the
"911" message. My crew is VERY happy that I fly with one, and she
watches my shared SPOT page when I fly.

2NO