Wedding Party Massacre? Doubtful.....

Old May 27th 04, 09:14 PM
news

"Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MP" wrote in message

I think Arabs should be pressed up aginst the Red Sea... It their Allah
Splits it they live, if he dosn't well it is Ahllah's will and the arabs
take a long swim...

After all the Arabs have done so much harm and terror to the world in the
last 600 years (invasions,
bombs, biological weapons, ethnic cleansing, fratricide, regicide,
matricide, suicide, genocide, etc.) that you really cannot expect arabs to
live in peace with anyone ever. so might as well just get rid of the
verman.

Old May 28th 04, 01:13 PM
Jack Linthicum

"George Z. Bush" wrote in message ...
Jack Linthicum wrote:
Alan Lothian wrote in message
In article , Presidente
Alcazar wrote:

On Tue, 25 May 2004 21:44:59 +0100, Alan Lothian
wrote:

(Snip)

competing agencies, the US Department of Justice has opened up a
potential battleground with the Department of Homeland Security by
means of the weapon of choice, Television. Yesterday the Attorney
General flanked by one tall and one short bozo proceeded to announce
the need to find seven people who have been known as al Qaeda members
since at least 1998. They may or may not be in the US, one commentator
on this morning's TV said he saw at least 12 of them while coming to
work in New York. "Nation in peril" is a a good rallying cry if you
have nothing more to offer, warmed over stale news fills the 24-7
schedule as well anything of value.

The short bozo was the Director of the FBI. I couldn't identify the tall
bozo....could you?
(^-^)))

No, and neither does the FBI site. I would presume it is either Karl
Rove's watchdog to make certain that the new offensive on terror, as
opposed to the mess in potamia, gets its creds or, possibly, the
center for the Director's Office basketball team being shown as an
actual employee and not some ringer brought in to play.
Old May 28th 04, 01:25 PM
George Z. Bush

wrote:

[...]

You know, you'd have thought that he might have recognized that, for all of his
warnings about us being a target of AQ again, some of us would conclude that he
was admitting that his leadership hadn't accomplished much of anything in their
war against terrorism by squandering our assets in Iraq.

George Z.

Old May 28th 04, 04:37 PM
John Mullen

"Steven James Forsberg" wrote in message
: I work worldwide and have to deal with such frequently. One guide I

have
: used for years is "Kiss, Bow or Shake Hands: How to do Business in 60
: Countries". Aside from providing useful info on business and personal
: customs, it also discusses cultural orientation such as cognitive
: styles. Let me quote from their section on Saudi Arabia (since they
: don't have an 'Iraq' section):
: "Saudis find it difficult to accept any outside information that does
: not reflect Islamic values... Generally, a Saudi's faith in Islamic
: ideologies shapes the truth, but it is also affected by the immediate
: feelings of the participants. Objective facts seldom overrule one's
: thinking."

Of course the term "cognitive dissonance" was originally used to
describe behaviors manifested by "modern/western" people, but it certainly
has its place in many if not all cultures.
The above says that "objective facts" are overruled by the Saudis
"faith" and that "truth" is subjective. Funny, I'd swear that there are a
lot of fervent Christains out there who are just the same way...

Exactly. Current events must surely underline this if anyone was ever in any
doubt!

John

Old May 28th 04, 08:47 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Michael P.
Reed writes
In message , "Paul J. Adam" wrote:
So a virgin could walk the length and breadth of Iraq with her bosom
full of gold, and none might raise a hand to her?

You need to build brick houses if you do not want the Big Bad Wolf to blow it
down.

It's complicated when you're fighting the Big Bad Wolf and building
houses for the Friendly Wolf - and trying to tell one from the other.
(Separating sheep and goats is simple by comparison)

I'm not the one trying to claim that Iraq is a peaceful haven of
tranquility with just the last handful of insurgents to be winkled
out...

Who has tried to claim that? Not anyone that I have read.

Victory has been imminent for quite some time, apparently...

Insurgent activity
ebbs and flows. After their conventional defeat, it took time to reorganize
and reconstitute and after a couple of months insurgent attacks rose, then
after suffering casualties and captures, it fell (as after Sadaam's capture).
It rose in Falujah, and fell again, and will probably fall through the summer
only to rebound prior to the elections (in this, it is eerily similar to the
Philippines in 1900). In the end, however, the crescendos of violence will
lessen as time passes (that is, of course, if the "occupying power" is
winning). We'll have to wait and see.

I agree with all of the above, actually. I'm concerned about excessive
and premature triumphalism - not convinced of doom.

(Failure remains thoroughly possible, but so is a successful outcome. As
you say, time will tell)

Personally, I think the
guerrilla/terrorists blew it big time in Falujah, Al Sadr is doing now, by
concentrating too much, and so allowing them to be much more easily (and
conveniently) killed. An embarrassment to the U.S. and Coalition, yes, but I'd
rather be embarrassed than dead. One thing about guerrilla wars is that one
does not always know one is winning until the fighting is over. It is too
gradual. One may argue that McKinley's victory in the 1900 election was the
straw that broke the camel's back during the Philippine Insurrection (Because
Aguinaldo and the insurrectionists were depending heavily on the "anti-war"
William Jennings Bryan's victory, but the nastiest fighting (Samar and
Batangas) still lay ahead, and the war wouldn't end for another year and a
half.

I've left the above unsnipped because, again, it's a valid point.

Why? I'm just asking for some consistency. One minute it's a successful
and mostly peaceful occupation: the next, it's a furious insurgency with
guerillas behind every rock.

I have not seen those claims made.

I have. (Remember, this is Usenet: cynically, you can find anything
claimed if you read long enough)

I'm willing to believe one, or the other, but not both at the same time.

Then you need to enlarge your imagination. g It is indeed both only not
everywhere.

That's true enough. I gather the Kurdish north is going pretty well: the
south was doing fairly well but has recently started slipping: and the
US had some of the hotbeds which have not gone as well as desired.
(Because the US mishandled them? Or because the US had many of the hard
cases to deal with?)

Perhaps I just prefer to be cautiously pessimistic - and to express
doubts about some parts of the plan.

--
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
Julius Caesar I:2

Old May 29th 04, 05:53 PM
Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MP

"news" wrote in message

"Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MP" wrote in message

I think Arabs should be pressed up aginst the Red Sea... It their Allah
Splits it they live, if he dosn't well it is Ahllah's will and the arabs
take a long swim...

Just so everyone understands, *I* did NOT write the above.

After all the Arabs have done so much harm and terror to the world in the
last 600 years (invasions,
bombs, biological weapons, ethnic cleansing, fratricide, regicide,
matricide, suicide, genocide, etc.) that you really cannot expect arabs

live in peace with anyone ever.

The immediate above is also part of my original post. What follows was NOT
part of my post. At least I do know how to spell vermin.