? for the NG-Flag shoulder patches

Old November 25th 04, 03:38 PM
Pechs1

Default ? for the NG-Flag shoulder patches

On the news I see the American flag on the right shoulder of the Army, but it
seems backwards, blue field on the right instead of the left...

Insight?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old November 25th 04, 04:21 PM
JJ McIntyre

The "reverse" flag is the "moving forward" emblem, authorized/mandated in
the current theater to be "thrusting toward the enemy" in combat rather than
the technically "correct" display which implies moving away from the fray.

"Pechs1" wrote in message
On the news I see the American flag on the right shoulder of the Army, but

it
seems backwards, blue field on the right instead of the left...

Insight?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old November 25th 04, 04:36 PM
Jim Carriere

Pechs1 wrote:
On the news I see the American flag on the right shoulder of the Army, but it
seems backwards, blue field on the right instead of the left...

Pechs, the starfield goes at the front, as if the rest of the flag
were blowing as you walk forward. If it appears to be blowing the
other way, that means you're retreating.

Speaking of that, some guys like to wear their state flags on their
right shoulder on flight suits. Invariably it is a "left shoulder"
flag, and I try not to pass up the opportunity to tease them about
this- in a good natured way of course

One last thing, it seems to me that an awful lot of law enforcement
agencies wear the "retreating" flag. Maybe it is supposed to
symbolize something, but I think it's just one of those things and
nobody in charge realizes it.

Old November 25th 04, 04:55 PM
Thomas Schoene

JJ McIntyre wrote:
The "reverse" flag is the "moving forward" emblem,
authorized/mandated in the current theater

It's hardly limited to "the current theater," whatever that means. It's
been this way on US uniforms for quite along time (probably as long as there
have been flag patches on the shoulders).

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old November 25th 04, 05:15 PM
Jake Donovan

Pechs,

Uniformed regulations - The stars have to be facing forward. You can wear a
flag on your uniform on the right shoulder as long as the stars are forward.
(The right shoulder has to be a command decision, not the individual) If
they are reversed, it should not be allowed.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Jake

Old November 25th 04, 05:19 PM
Tex Houston

"Pechs1" wrote in message
On the news I see the American flag on the right shoulder of the Army, but
it
seems backwards, blue field on the right instead of the left...

Insight?
P. C. Chisholm

Flag is displayed as if being flown from a staff. Same technique is used on
flags painted or decaled on both sides of aircraft.

Tex

Old November 25th 04, 05:55 PM
Jake Donovan

Say what?

Army 607-1

28-18. Wear of full-color U.S. flag cloth replica

a. General. During joint or multi-nation operations, soldiers are authorized
to wear the full-color U.S. flag cloth replica on utility and organizational
uniforms. Wear of the full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is at the
discretion of theorganizational commander, when the distinguishing of
individual national soldiers is desired, and overrides the tactical
consideration of full-color insignia on uniforms. During joint operations,
the joint commander normally will prescribe the policy for wear. Soldiers
are not authorized to wear the full-color U.S. flag cloth replica upon their
return to home station.

b. Description. Chapter 1, Title 4, United States Code, provides for the
design of the U.S. flag and specifies the colors as red, white, and blue.
Colors other than red, white, and blue violate the U.S. Code; therefore,
subdued-colored flags are not authorized for wear. The size of the
full-color cloth U.S. flag replica is approximately 2 inches by 3 inches.

c. How worn.

(1) When approved for wear, the full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is sewn
1.2 inch below the right shoulder seam of the temperate, hot-weather,
enhanced hot-weather, and desert BDU; the BDU field jacket; and the
cold-weather uniform (see fig 28-135). If the SSI-FWTS is worn on the right
shoulder of the utility uniform, the full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is
placed 1.8 inch below the right shoulder sleeve insignia (see fig 28-136).
The SSI-FWTS is notauthorized for wear on organizational uniforms, unless
indicated above.

(2) The full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is worn so that the star field
faces forward, or to the flag's own right. When worn in this manner, the
flag is facing to the observer's right, and gives the effect of the flag
flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica
for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the reverse side flag.

There has been no mandate or authorization for a reverse flag. (Stars facing
backwards) If an Area Commander has given approval for such, he is in
violation of uniform regulations.

All Branches Flight suits are left shoulder stars forward.

Jake

Capt USN

9 months in county, Afghanistan and Iraq over the last 2 years.

news

Old November 25th 04, 07:19 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Pechs1" wrote in message

On the news I see the American flag on the right shoulder of the Army, but
it
seems backwards, blue field on the right instead of the left...

Insight?

The flag is placed "backwards" on things that move so that it appears the
way a cloth flag would.