C-130 on Navy Carrier

Old February 20th 05, 06:50 AM
Red Rider

"John Randolph" wrote in message
news:BdPRd.84036$bu.35718@fed1read06...
Sadly, Cdr. Walter "Smokey" Stovall, Jim Flatley's co-pilot, passed away
from leukemia in Bethesda Naval Hospital in 1972.

An even stranger event was the landing aboard and immediate deck launch

from
USS Ranger of a U-2 in the mid 1960's. Anyone have the details on that?

It
was a secret operation and the majority of the crew were not allowed above
flight deck level during the op.

"W. D. Allen Sr." wrote in message
Does anyone know anything about the C-130 that made arrested landings

and
launches from a Navy aircraft carrier back in the 1960s?

WDA

The first test of a U-2 on a carrier were conducted in Aug (maybe it was
Oct) of 1963 on the Kitty Hawk off SoCal. The Ranger participated in test
for a couple of months in early '64 and the first operational mission of a
U-2 was flown from the Ranger in May '64 to look at the French Nuke test in
the pacific. In '69 a U-2R which had a greater range and payload underwent
sea trials on the America off the Va. Capes. This (these) U-2's had special
modified folding wings for carrier use. ( I know that there were five pilots
involved in these test but I don't know how many aircraft were used. I
believed there were 4, U-2R's modified for folding wings).

As far as keeping the crew below deck for these test, that just wasn't so.
You can't hide sh*t on a carrier. As usual during flight ops, all
non-essential personnel and lolly-gaggers were encouraged to stay below out
of the way. The crews on the Kitty Hawk and the Ranger knew what was going
on, and I'll be the crew of the America did too.

Red Rider

Old February 21st 05, 05:40 PM
John Szalay

"P

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:03:10 +0100, Rob van Riel
postulated :

As I recal that was a publicity stunt to demonstrate the raw power of
the catapults. A model T Ford that spent all of a mile in the air,
wasn't it?

When the car launch photo appeared on the net, this post came soon after
it..

Subject: Slow day on the Carrier slow day.jpg [1/3]
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:55:49 GMT
From: "Mike Henley"
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

"Quokka" wrote in message
.. .
I am not too sure what carrier this is, or what the reason was, but it

must
get pretty boring onboard a carrier sometimes...

This was the USS Enterprise returning from our 1978 WestPac cruise. Most
squadrons in the airwing have a "staff car" to drive the squadron members
to the Navy Exchange, club, front gate, or back to the pier. At the end of
the cruise the squadron sells the car to another squadron on the carrier
coming over. This car was beyond repair. the squadron CO got permission
from the ships CO to load the car aboard before we left the Philippines and
returned home. Tickets were sold to raise money for the Combined Federal
Campaign Fund. The winning ticket got to be the "cat officer" and launch
the car. On a no-fly day everyone gathered on the flight deck to see how
far the car would go (it had a VERY POOR glide ratio). I didn't have the
winning ticket, and was standing to the left of the tractor, just outside
the left of the picture. As I recall, it was responsible for a large
donation to the CFC Fund.

Mike
==