Wedding Party Massacre? Doubtful.....

Old May 22nd 04, 11:59 PM
Dav1936531

Default Wedding Party Massacre? Doubtful.....

http://tinyurl.com/2qklu
Dave
Old May 23rd 04, 02:39 AM
Eric Moore

(Dav1936531) wrote in message ...
http://tinyurl.com/2qklu
Dave

If you go to:

http://belmontclub.blogspot.com

You can find more on the "wedding party" attack.

Also, if you scroll down to the May 17, 2004 section,
you'll find an article on the use of media coverage as a weapon
in the Vietnam War, and in present-day Iraq.

Interesting stuff. Perhaps the effect of media coverage
(whether it's accurate or not) on military operations is the
*true* "Revolution in Military Affairs".
Old May 23rd 04, 03:21 AM
Scott MacEachern

On 22 May 2004 22:59:32 GMT, (Dav1936531) wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2qklu
Dave

"Kimmitt said troops did not find anything -- such as a wedding tent,
gifts, musical instruments, decorations or leftover food -- that would
indicate a wedding had been held."

Funny. I wonder what those ripped-up speakers and the microphone
stands (not musical instruments, I guess...) in the NYT pictures from
the site were doing there, then?

Note as well that Kimmitt is now admitting that (a) there were women
killed there and (b) there may have been some sort of celebration
going on. And, shamelessly quoting from another post of mine...

Having spent some time working in border areas in Central/West Africa
-- Nigeria-Cameroon-Niger and latterly Cameroon-Chad-CAR -- there are
smugglers all over the place, and they haul all kinds of good with
them. Finding large amounts of clothing, bedding and so on wouldn't be
surprising at all in such cases -- think of it as capitalism at work.
I'd be very surprised if that wasn't how most of the consumer goods in
Baghdad made their way there.

Scott
Old May 23rd 04, 05:32 AM
Jim Yanik

Scott MacEachern wrote in
:

[...]

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

an excerpt;

What was found, he said, indicated the building was used as a way station
for foreign fighters crossing into Iraq from Syria to battle the coalition.

"The building seemed to be somewhat of a dormitory," Kimmitt said. "You
had over 300 sets of bedding gear in it. You had a tremendous number of
pre-packaged clothing -- apparently about a hundred sets of pre-packaged
clothing.

"[It is] expected that when foreign fighters come in from other countries,
they come to this location, they change their clothes into typical Iraqi
clothing sets."

At Saturday's briefing for reporters in Baghdad, Kimmitt showed photos of
what he said were binoculars designed for adjusting artillery fire, battery
packs suitable for makeshift bombs, several terrorist training manuals,
medical gear,fake ID cards and ID card-making machines, passports and
telephone numbers to other countries, including Afghanistan and Sudan.

None of the men killed in the raid carried ID cards or wallets, he said.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Old May 23rd 04, 01:09 PM
Mike Baudrillard

Scott MacEachern wrote in message . ..
On 22 May 2004 22:59:32 GMT, (Dav1936531) wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2qklu
Dave

"Kimmitt said troops did not find anything -- such as a wedding tent,
gifts, musical instruments, decorations or leftover food -- that would
indicate a wedding had been held."

They didn't find any weapons outside of what one would expect a group
of villagers to possess. They put on show a paltry amount that would
not impress Charlton Heston to the extent it was more than he had in
his cupboards.

Funny. I wonder what those ripped-up speakers and the microphone
stands (not musical instruments, I guess...) in the NYT pictures from
the site were doing there, then?

Note as well that Kimmitt is now admitting that (a) there were women
killed there and (b) there may have been some sort of celebration
going on. And, shamelessly quoting from another post of mine...

It was probably a pre-something celebration which poorly armed drug
dealing Syrian terrorists by tradition get involved with in the middle
of nowhere.

I suppose it is an explanation and we should be grateful for whatever
the US military feel able to offer.

Usually they offer no explanation and get troublesome journalists
black-listed. there might be acfew holes in their story, but they had
a story and it is indeed remarkable that they shared it with us.

Old May 23rd 04, 01:22 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Eric Moore" wrote in message
m...
(Dav1936531) wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/2qklu
Dave

Interesting stuff. Perhaps the effect of media coverage
(whether it's accurate or not) on military operations is the
*true* "Revolution in Military Affairs".

Hardly, it was a major factor in the Crimean and Boer Wars

Keith

Old May 24th 04, 05:30 AM
Paul Elliot

Mike Baudrillard wrote:

[...]

Just why are we giving ANY creedence to criticism from an "alleged"
FRENCH person?
Old May 24th 04, 06:26 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Scott MacEachern" wrote in message
On 22 May 2004 22:59:32 GMT, (Dav1936531) wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/2qklu
Dave

"Kimmitt said troops did not find anything -- such as a wedding tent,
gifts, musical instruments, decorations or leftover food -- that would
indicate a wedding had been held."

Funny. I wonder what those ripped-up speakers and the microphone
stands (not musical instruments, I guess...) in the NYT pictures from
the site were doing there, then?

Never heard of terrorists using such equipment, eh?

Note as well that Kimmitt is now admitting that (a) there were women
killed there and (b) there may have been some sort of celebration
going on. And, shamelessly quoting from another post of mine...

Not quite. What Kimmet really has said is:

"To the allegation that there was a wedding going on, there was no evidence
of a wedding," Kimmitt reiterated. "There were no decorations, no musical
instruments found, no large quantities of food or leftover servings one
would expect from a wedding celebration and no gifts.

"The men were almost all military-aged, no family elders that one would
expect to see at an event of this type," he said.

To help substantiate his comments, the general showed reporters slides of
items found at the site, which included a significant number of weapons,
battery packs used to power improvised explosive devices and a host of other
non-wedding-related items.

"There were also a number of terrorist training manuals (and) suspected
forged Iraqi IDs," he said.

Kimmitt said there may have been some kind of celebration going on at the
said, but not a wedding. "Bad people have celebrations too," he noted. "Bad
people have parties too. It may have been that what was seen as some sort of
celebration may have just been a meeting in the middle of the desert by some
people that were conducting either criminal or terrorist activities. That's
the conclusion we're continuing to draw the more we look at the material,
intelligence, post-strike, and follow-up intelligence." end excerpt

Looks like BG Kimmet has drawn very different conclusions from what you
have, Scott. And if you are going to quote the guy, at least do so by
paraphrasing his entire statement. Which brings into question that
oh-so-heart-wrenching previous post of yours claiming we were butchering
kids in this raid--as Kimmet noted:
""But there are still not reports of any children being killed." Kimmitt
said a videotape distributed to the media showing at least a dozen bodies,
including small children, wrapped in blankets for burial, being unloaded
from a truck doesn't look like the video taken at the site of the attack.
"None of the geography in those videos match the geography of this open
area," he noted. "But there are still some inconsistencies. We still remain
opened-minded about this. We'll continue to look into everything that's
provided to us in the way of evidence." "

http://www.dod.mil/news/May2004/n052...200405221.html

Having spent some time working in border areas in Central/West Africa
-- Nigeria-Cameroon-Niger and latterly Cameroon-Chad-CAR -- there are
smugglers all over the place, and they haul all kinds of good with
them. Finding large amounts of clothing, bedding and so on wouldn't be
surprising at all in such cases -- think of it as capitalism at work.
I'd be very surprised if that wasn't how most of the consumer goods in
Baghdad made their way there.

And all of those smugglers have terrorist training manuals in their
possession...yeah, riiiight.

Brooks

Scott

Old May 24th 04, 09:28 AM
Tamas Feher

Several hours worth of home video tape showing the wedding has been
recovered.
+
Half-hour news video, showing the dead, including children and the very
guy who filmed the home video above.

BBC is the remorse of the world!

Old May 24th 04, 01:35 PM
raymond o'hara

"Tamas Feher" wrote in message

Several hours worth of home video tape showing the wedding has been
recovered.
+
Half-hour news video, showing the dead, including children and the very
guy who filmed the home video above.

BBC is the remorse of the world!

celebrating with machineguns in a war zone will get you killed . the same
thing happened in af-g-stan , they have to lose that habit . not to mention
the thousands wounded and killed a every year by these celebrations ,