A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Old February 10th 18, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

John,

Certainly I am familiar with the carrythrough you mention on the SH-1, but my understanding is that massive structure only continues a short distance into the wing and then the load is transferred to a bunch of longitudinal stringers. The Foka 4 has a very similar arrangement.
Old February 10th 18, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Maybe a bit of inspiration would help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ

Jonkers, S-H and Dianna have all come out with new designs. There is another manufacturer rumored to to working on updating their 13 year old design of the ASG-29, at least that is the rumblings on RAS. What cool stuff woud you like to see? What happened to the technology BLR of the Scimitar? Dianna 2 was very innovative and arguably the best 15 meter glider. Jonkers kind of shook things up with the JS-3 (very small wing area). What do you want in the next new glider on the market?

Old February 10th 18, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

The Nexus is being built with fly by wire and automatic flaps. As was pointed out above the SB-11 won the 1978 WGC, and that was a very radical design. Let imaginations run.

I would love automatic flaps in a new bird. I would alos like different manufacturing to allow for lighter empty weight, helps if you fly a sustainer.

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 10:31:46 AM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was so tried of the hard deck discussion thought I would try a discussion of dreams. After seeing the vision of Elon Musk with his Falcon Heavy, I had to pinch myself. Those two boosters landing in sync..

What are some of the innovative, new technology, original thought, scifi dreams, would you like to see in a brand new glider design? Let your inter Elon Musk flow.

We have seen the New Ventus, the JS-3 (very innovative), Dianna 3. So far the South Africans have shown the most original thought.

If you were to design a glider what are your dreams?

Old February 10th 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB
external usenet poster

I would love automatic flaps in a new bird. I would alos like different manufacturing to allow for lighter empty weight, helps if you fly a sustainer.

What was the deal with the automatic flaps on the Duckhawk? Was that ever made to work at all?
Old February 10th 18, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 11:11:43 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
Foka 4 and SH-1 also have "Sparless" Wings.

You are right but you can't really compare these designs with Diana 2. These early designs had very light wing loading comparing to the massive wing loading allowed in Diana 2.
Old February 10th 18, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Howard Banks
external usenet poster

Wing warping -- end of those gaps -- if nobody has said it already.

At 19:38 10 February 2018, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 11:11:43 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
Foka 4 and SH-1 also have "Sparless" Wings.

You are right but you can't really compare these designs with Diana 2.
These early designs had very light wing loading comparing to the

massive
wing loading allowed in Diana 2.

Old February 11th 18, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

W dniu piątek, 9 lutego 2018 19:31:46 UTC+1 użytkownik Jonathan St. Cloud napisał:
Was so tried of the hard deck discussion thought I would try a discussion of dreams. After seeing the vision of Elon Musk with his Falcon Heavy, I had to pinch myself. Those two boosters landing in sync..

What are some of the innovative, new technology, original thought, scifi dreams, would you like to see in a brand new glider design? Let your inter Elon Musk flow.

We have seen the New Ventus, the JS-3 (very innovative), Dianna 3. So far the South Africans have shown the most original thought.

18/21 or 15/18 meters

Sustainer, jet, electric, two stroke?

Light weight: I would love to be able to get to 7.5 pounds with a 220 lb pilot+chute and up to 12ish pounds wet. This might take new manufacturing methods and materials. Perhaps pre-preg, vacuum bagging...?

Pedestal mounted wing?

VTOL glider
Old February 11th 18, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 6:10:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
W dniu piątek, 9 lutego 2018 19:31:46 UTC+1 użytkownik Jonathan St. Cloud napisał:

18/21 or 15/18 meters

Sustainer, jet, electric, two stroke?

Light weight: I would love to be able to get to 7.5 pounds with a 220 lb pilot+chute and up to 12ish pounds wet. This might take new manufacturing methods and materials. Perhaps pre-preg, vacuum bagging...?

Pedestal mounted wing?

VTOL glider

I would love to see how the air is actually flowing around me.

Be it within a wingspan, or a thermal miles away.

All the best,
Daniel
Old February 11th 18, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 2:13:25 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:

What was the deal with the automatic flaps on the Duckhawk? Was that ever made to work at all?

Yep, they definitely work!

All the best,
Daniel
Old February 11th 18, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 3:18:49 PM UTC-8, Daniel Sazhin wrote:
On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 2:13:25 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:

Yep, they definitely work!

All the best,
Daniel

Active boundary layer control, warping (non-hinged) control surfaces, auto-flaps.

Craig