New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Old February 10th 18, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

John,

Certainly I am familiar with the carrythrough you mention on the SH-1, but my understanding is that massive structure only continues a short distance into the wing and then the load is transferred to a bunch of longitudinal stringers. The Foka 4 has a very similar arrangement.
Old February 10th 18, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Maybe a bit of inspiration would help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ

Jonkers, S-H and Dianna have all come out with new designs. There is another manufacturer rumored to to working on updating their 13 year old design of the ASG-29, at least that is the rumblings on RAS. What cool stuff woud you like to see? What happened to the technology BLR of the Scimitar? Dianna 2 was very innovative and arguably the best 15 meter glider. Jonkers kind of shook things up with the JS-3 (very small wing area). What do you want in the next new glider on the market?

Old February 10th 18, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

The Nexus is being built with fly by wire and automatic flaps. As was pointed out above the SB-11 won the 1978 WGC, and that was a very radical design. Let imaginations run.

I would love automatic flaps in a new bird. I would alos like different manufacturing to allow for lighter empty weight, helps if you fly a sustainer.

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 10:31:46 AM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was so tried of the hard deck discussion thought I would try a discussion of dreams. After seeing the vision of Elon Musk with his Falcon Heavy, I had to pinch myself. Those two boosters landing in sync..

What are some of the innovative, new technology, original thought, scifi dreams, would you like to see in a brand new glider design? Let your inter Elon Musk flow.

We have seen the New Ventus, the JS-3 (very innovative), Dianna 3. So far the South Africans have shown the most original thought.

If you were to design a glider what are your dreams?

Old February 10th 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

I would love automatic flaps in a new bird. I would alos like different manufacturing to allow for lighter empty weight, helps if you fly a sustainer.

What was the deal with the automatic flaps on the Duckhawk? Was that ever made to work at all?
Old February 10th 18, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 11:11:43 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
Foka 4 and SH-1 also have "Sparless" Wings.

You are right but you can't really compare these designs with Diana 2. These early designs had very light wing loading comparing to the massive wing loading allowed in Diana 2.

Old February 11th 18, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

W dniu piątek, 9 lutego 2018 19:31:46 UTC+1 użytkownik Jonathan St. Cloud napisał:
Was so tried of the hard deck discussion thought I would try a discussion of dreams. After seeing the vision of Elon Musk with his Falcon Heavy, I had to pinch myself. Those two boosters landing in sync..

What are some of the innovative, new technology, original thought, scifi dreams, would you like to see in a brand new glider design? Let your inter Elon Musk flow.

We have seen the New Ventus, the JS-3 (very innovative), Dianna 3. So far the South Africans have shown the most original thought.

If you were to design a glider what are your dreams?

18/21 or 15/18 meters

Sustainer, jet, electric, two stroke?

Light weight: I would love to be able to get to 7.5 pounds with a 220 lb pilot+chute and up to 12ish pounds wet. This might take new manufacturing methods and materials. Perhaps pre-preg, vacuum bagging...?

Pedestal mounted wing?

VTOL glider
Old February 11th 18, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 6:10:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I would love to see how the air is actually flowing around me.

Be it within a wingspan, or a thermal miles away.

All the best,
Daniel
Old February 11th 18, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 2:13:25 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:

I would love automatic flaps in a new bird. I would alos like different manufacturing to allow for lighter empty weight, helps if you fly a sustainer.

What was the deal with the automatic flaps on the Duckhawk? Was that ever made to work at all?

Yep, they definitely work!

All the best,
Daniel
Old February 11th 18, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 3:18:49 PM UTC-8, Daniel Sazhin wrote:
On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 2:13:25 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:

I would love automatic flaps in a new bird. I would alos like different manufacturing to allow for lighter empty weight, helps if you fly a sustainer.

What was the deal with the automatic flaps on the Duckhawk? Was that ever made to work at all?

Yep, they definitely work!

All the best,
Daniel

Active boundary layer control, warping (non-hinged) control surfaces, auto-flaps.

Craig

I have a dream. A GPS/SBAS/QZSS dream ! In honour of MLK day. macpacheco Instrument Flight Rules 2 January 19th 11 01:39 AM
A Dream franck jeamourra Piloting 0 March 27th 04 08:43 PM
A dream franck jeamourra Simulators 0 March 25th 04 01:26 PM
a dream franck jeamourra Military Aviation 0 March 25th 04 07:27 AM
a dream franck jeamourra Owning 0 March 25th 04 07:26 AM