V Speeds

Old March 15th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default V Speeds

VNO is Maximum Structural Cruising Speed per definition in CFR FAR Part
1. If you were to ask what is VNO? Why do some Pilots constantly
believe its Normal Operation Speed. The Green arc is the normal
operation. The yellow arc is cautionary range. The white arc is the
range in which we can use flaps. The top of the white is VFE. The
bottom of the white arc is VS0. Just like the Bottom of the green is
VS1. Of course VNE never-exceed speed is the tiny red arc and we
shouldn't go there!

So tell me what is the definition of VNO?

Cjamairway

Old March 15th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

VA means design maneuvering speed.

VB means design speed for maximum gust intensity.

VC means design cruising speed.

VD means design diving speed.

VDF/MDF means demonstrated flight diving speed.

VEF means the speed at which the critical engine is assumed
to fail during takeoff.

VF means design flap speed.

VFC/MFC means maximum speed for stability characteristics.

VFE means maximum flap extended speed.

VFTO means final takeoff speed.

VH means maximum speed in level flight with maximum
continuous power.

VLE means maximum landing gear extended speed.

VLO means maximum landing gear operating speed.

VLOF means lift-off speed.

VMC means minimum control speed with the critical engine
inoperative.

VMO/MMO means maximum operating limit speed.

VMU means minimum unstick speed.

VNE means never-exceed speed.

VNO means maximum structural cruising speed.

VR means rotation speed.

VREF means reference landing speed.

VS means the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight
speed at which the airplane is controllable.

VS0 means the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight
speed in the landing configuration.

VS1 means the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight
speed obtained in a specific configuration.

VSR means reference stall speed.

VSRO means reference stall speed in the landing
configuration.

VSR1 means reference stall speed in a specific
configuration.

VSW means speed at which onset of natural or artificial
stall warning occurs.

VTOSS means takeoff safety speed for Category A rotorcraft.

VX means speed for best angle of climb.

VY means speed for best rate of climb.

V1 means the maximum speed in the takeoff at which the pilot
must take the first action (e.g., apply brakes, reduce
thrust, deploy speed brakes) to stop the airplane within the
accelerate-stop distance. V1 also means the minimum speed in
the takeoff, following a failure of the critical engine at
VEF, at which the pilot can continue the takeoff and achieve
the required height above the takeoff surface within the
takeoff distance.

V2 means takeoff safety speed.

V2min means minimum takeoff safety speed.

oups.com...

Old March 15th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

VNO means maximum structural cruising speed.

Thanks... now riddle me this. Why do they call it VNO and not VSC? The
others have initials that recall their definitions, why not this?

Jose
Old March 15th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...

VNO is Maximum Structural Cruising Speed per definition in CFR FAR Part

.... snip...

Of course VNE never-exceed speed is the tiny red arc and we
shouldn't go there!

That would be a red *line*, not a tiny red arc at all.

So tell me what is the definition of VNO?

The first line of your post is the definition; top of green arc is where it
is.

Old March 15th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Just like the Bottom of the green is VS1.

Big (yet common) misconception there.... VS1 is simply the stall speed in a
"Specified" condition. In MOST aircraft this is stall in a clean
configuration, but the definition of VS1 does not require it to be a stall
speed in the "Clean" configuration. It is entirely possible that the POH
may define VS1 as a stall with perhaps 10 deg flaps.... perhaps NEGATIVE
flaps (some aircraft can do that ya know for more efficient cruising),
perhaps VS1 can be clean with gear extended.... or it can be clean with gear
retracted.... whatever the manufactor specifies.

Still have no idea why structural crusing speed is shortened to Vno "no"
doesn't seem like an it fits.. unlike NE and FE and so forth. Kind of like
Va... how does "a" represent manuevering.... but it does. One of those
aviation things... if it all made sense it wouldn't be worth doing!
Perhaps they say "Normal Operating" because it reminds them where they
"Normally Operate" I've never flown a plane that cruises in the yellow
arc.... the ONLY time I've seen the yellow arc has been in descents... Fly
mainly Piper Archer/Arrow/Seminole... have about sixty hours in a C-172.
Not exactly speed deamons.

Old March 15th 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If Vc was used a Viet Nam vet would kill it, wait Vc is
used.

Vno is Italian wine

Vd is either diving speed or a disease.

Old March 15th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

VS1 is the stall speed in the landing configuration based on 1.wings
level 2. 1G 3. max gross weight 4. power to idle with no flaps. It's
the bottom of the green.

If we were to look at Vso it represents the stall speed in the landing
configuration based on 1. wings level 2.1G 3. max gross weight 4. power
to idle with full flaps. It's the bottom of the white.

otherwise yes your correct.

Cjamairway

Old March 15th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

There are a lot of things in aviation that go against our normal
instincts or reactions. Like when you first performed an emergency
procedure your instructor reduced the power to idle. I bet your first
reaction was to lower the nose. Now you know to trade potential engergy
for kinetic and raise the nose, climb to bleed the airspeed off to
catch your best glide speed. Its a trade off.

So here is what happens with VNO. People like acronyms. So those who
were taught that VNO is Normal operation speed needed words that
matched VNO. For those of us who are anal retentive and yes I am one of
those people because I must follow strict interpretation of regulations
because I am required to do so, we'll always know that VNO is Maximum
structural cruising speed. Look in FAR part 1 under definitions.

Old March 15th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Your right its not a red arc its a line that defines where not to go.

Cjamairway

Old March 15th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kershner says Vno is the maximum structural cruising speed,
the maximum indicated airspeed where no structural damage would occur
in moderate vertical gust conditions. By implication, then, cruising
above this would be safe enough in smooth air. There are airplanes that
can easily cruise in the yellow arc.
Now we just need a definition of "moderate gust
conditions."

Dan

v speeds [email protected] Piloting 0 July 11th 05 05:27 PM
2-32 Speeds? John Seaborn Soaring 1 March 7th 04 03:49 AM
Horton STOL 172 "V" speeds R. Wubben Owning 6 December 30th 03 02:04 AM
Horton STOL 172 "V" speeds R. Wubben Piloting 4 December 30th 03 02:04 AM
Winch Loads / Speeds data? Gary Emerson Soaring 1 December 17th 03 08:59 AM