Tie Down Trouble

Old May 16th 06, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Tie Down Trouble

At some airfields, you get tiedowns in the grass that consist of some
kind of weight (such as a concrete block or tire filled with concrete)
and a tiedown. Perhaps they aren't much use -- a plane apparently can
still fly with one attached to the tail.

In this month's 'Pilot' magazine (British) under Safety Matters:

Tiedown attached
----------------
AS A BEECH C23 Sundowner took off from Aldergrove, ATC saw an object
dangling from the tail. It was a car tyre filled witih concrete which
has been used as a tie down. The pilot landed safely after a normal
circuit.
During the pre-flight inspection, the pilot had removed tie-down weights
attached to the wings, but hadn't noticed the weight attached to the
tail.

I have to imagine the flight characteristics of a Sundowner with 50lbs
of concrete hanging off the tail had to be 'squirrely'!

Old May 16th 06, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 16 May 2006 06:57:35 -0000, Dylan Smith
wrote:

[...]

A local pilot once took off in a Cherokee 180, with the concrete filled
tire still attached to one wing! He managed to land undamaged; and we
painted a set of wings onto the tire.

Old May 16th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dylan Smith wrote
I have to imagine the flight characteristics of a Sundowner with 50lbs
of concrete hanging off the tail had to be 'squirrely'!

The one Sundowner in which I instructed two students was actually out
of the forward CG limit with just myself and the student aboard.

I insisted that we keep 40-50 lbs tied down in the baggage compartment,
it made landings so much better. It wasn't long after the owner and
his brother obtained their certificates that the weight came out and
the nosegear and prop came off.

That tiedown weight probably made it fly just about right. :-)

Bob Moore

Old May 16th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A bit different having 50 lb in the luggage compartment and 30 lb with an
8-foot moment arm. It would be really interesting to do a w&b with that
tire (tyre) on the tail.

. 121...

Old May 16th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dylan Smith wrote:

Tiedown attached
----------------
AS A BEECH C23 Sundowner took off from Aldergrove, ATC saw an object
dangling from the tail. It was a car tyre filled witih concrete which
has been used as a tie down. The pilot landed safely after a normal
circuit.
During the pre-flight inspection, the pilot had removed tie-down weights
attached to the wings, but hadn't noticed the weight attached to the
tail.

I have to imagine the flight characteristics of a Sundowner with 50lbs
of concrete hanging off the tail had to be 'squirrely'!

I saw this on the Beech Aero Club site a while back.

Any Sundowner owner will tell you that it's almost impossible to make
her tail heavy. With myself (240) and my co-owner (180), we fly with 65
pounds in the baggage compartment, and still have a CG slightly forward
of published limits, that comes into limits as we burn fuel. With a
480-500 lb front row, we fly with 135 pounds of ballast in the baggage
compartment to balance.

That tire may have helped! G
Old May 16th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Dylan Smith" wrote)
AS A BEECH C23 Sundowner took off from Aldergrove, ATC saw an object
dangling from the tail. It was a car tyre filled witih concrete which has
been used as a tie down. The pilot landed safely after a normal circuit.

4-point landing.

Montblack

Old May 17th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Dylan Smith" wrote)
AS A BEECH C23 Sundowner took off from Aldergrove, ATC saw an object
dangling from the tail. It was a car tyre filled witih concrete which has
been used as a tie down. The pilot landed safely after a normal circuit.

Interesting that Allen Lieberman hasn't replied to this yet.
Old May 18th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 17 May 2006 12:31:40 GMT, john smith wrote:

("Dylan Smith" wrote)
AS A BEECH C23 Sundowner took off from Aldergrove, ATC saw an object
dangling from the tail. It was a car tyre filled witih concrete which has
been used as a tie down. The pilot landed safely after a normal circuit.

Interesting that Allen Lieberman hasn't replied to this yet.

Heck, if I wanted a fourth wheel, I would have stayed in my car :-)

Allen
Old May 18th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 16 May 2006 14:29:57 GMT, B A R R Y wrote:

Any Sundowner owner will tell you that it's almost impossible to make
her tail heavy. With myself (240) and my co-owner (180), we fly with 65
pounds in the baggage compartment, and still have a CG slightly forward
of published limits, that comes into limits as we burn fuel. With a
480-500 lb front row, we fly with 135 pounds of ballast in the baggage
compartment to balance.

On my IFR checkride, I had to show my numbers for weight and balance.

470 pounds of meat in the front seats *required* 100 pounds in the baggage
department with full tanks. I elected to put in 75 pounds (yes, I brought
barbell weights) and account for fuel burn off to keep me in CG.

Allen

Trouble ahead over small plane fees AJ Piloting 90 April 15th 06 01:19 PM
Trouble with AOPA's Real Time Flight Planner Michael Brown Piloting 6 December 5th 05 02:51 PM
Avionic trouble Henning DE Home Built 1 September 10th 04 10:23 PM
Trouble with Terra 230 Audio panel Mark Owning 0 July 20th 04 02:13 PM
China's Chengdu J-10 Fighter - Big Trouble? Kevin Brooks Military Aviation 0 November 18th 03 03:06 PM