Containerize plane to international buyer

Old February 19th 05, 05:04 PM
tbm700

Default Containerize plane to international buyer

Hi all,
Does anyone know any company around PA,NJ,NY or nearby that do aircraft
diassemble for export? I just sold my aircraft to foreign buyer, he
would want me to ship him by vessel back to his home country. Any
advised is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Old February 19th 05, 05:13 PM
George Patterson

tbm700 wrote:

Any advised is greatly appreciated.

Check the ads in Trade-A-Plane. Most FBOs have a copy you can read for free. You
can also go to http://www.yahoo.com and enter "+aircraft +shipping +container"
in the search window. You'll get some garbage that you have to wade through, but
you'll also get things like this:
http://www.skyviewaviation.com/Aircr..._shipping.html

George Patterson
He who tries to carry a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in
no other way.
Old February 19th 05, 07:35 PM
Dude

My sincere advice is to close the sale in the US.

Let him ship it. At the least make sure that the deal is closed, and that
you have absolutely zero responsibility for damage during shipment before
you let it go.

In fact, for a TBM, it may be better to ferry the plane. Or, maybe you
could use whoever Socata uses, and fly it to them. They will already have
all the proper dunnage. Although, I am not sure they don't ferry the planes
themeselves.

oups.com...

Old February 20th 05, 03:49 PM
tbm700

Sorry Dude for my misleading, my airplane was actually C172. My plane
is currently located in NJ but the new owner was in South East Asia. He
would want the plane to ship from where I live due to the fact that the
engine was already at TBO.

Old February 20th 05, 03:52 PM
tbm700

Thank you much George, but the fact that the engine already at TBO and
the new owner doesn't want to fly the plane all the way to West Cost
for shipping.

Old February 20th 05, 05:46 PM
George Patterson

tbm700 wrote:

Thank you much George, but the fact that the engine already at TBO and
the new owner doesn't want to fly the plane all the way to West Cost
for shipping.

What I suggested was that you run the search recommended, not that you have to
use the first company it turns up.

Old February 20th 05, 06:44 PM
NW_PILOT

If he paid with a cashiers check make sure it is paid by the bank prior to
doing anything with your airplane or money from the sale.

Old February 21st 05, 12:26 AM
Jon Kraus

If I was the buyer of the airplane I would have already looked into the
shipping arrangements. Make sure the check clears and then let him worry
about it... It is now his problem.. If making the arrangements as a
condition of the sale make sure you are adequately compensated for your
trouble.. Otherwise just sell it domestically... A 172 should be quite
easy to sell unless it is a piece of crap..

Jon Kraus

Old February 21st 05, 03:24 PM
OtisWinslow

What's the advantage of going through the hassle selling
to an international buyer when it would most likely sell
here?

Old February 22nd 05, 05:50 PM
private

CAUTION

See the current thread on rec.aviation.soaring

subject = Request for help concerning fraudulent offers to buy sailplanes

Following are some highlights from this thread.

be aware of any offer to pay up front more than is required.. deliver to a
above the costs... this is the common Nigerian Scam that is used in just
about every market.. aircraft, motorcycles and even cars advertised in the
local papers.

The "Bank Draft" they send you is bogus.. and takes weeks to months to learn
it is bad..

BT

there have been several similar scams over the past few years....
with my business, I see credit card fraud frequently, but I've become better
attuned to these and can 'normally" pick out the offenders.
I have also seen the scam you are referring to or ones like this with my
business and have had several "used glider sellers" call me asking if the
offers were "legit". Be careful.....the internet has allowed us to do some
amazing things in just a few years, it also has opened the doors to more
crooks and thieves because of the untrace-ability and easy access.....If
someone sends you a check, ever a certified check, for something and you
don't know the person or haven't seen them in person, be suspicious, people
don't typically make you offers for large amounts of money for something,
especially used and unseen...I have seen in my business some amazing
counterfeit checks.....perfect in every detail, so good in fact my bank
could not detect them as counterfeit...that is, until they called the
"issuing" bank....the main scam on these is to pay you with a check that has
no value......for more than you need for what you're selling.....then the
buyer has a change of mind or needs you to forward some funds to them or a
friend, of course by Western Union or similar......Western Union BTW won't
take a check or credit card from you to send funds...they want cash....so
there is no way you can come back to them for your money when it becomes
obvious to you that you've been scammed....
so.......in this case, like in the past, not only is it "let the buyer
beware" but also, "Let the seller beware" as well
tim

Even calling the issuing bank proves nothing. Scammers have been known
to obtain a legitimate cashiers check from a bank, make multiple
counterfeits (which will all check out as valid when the issuing bank is
called), then use them to purchase items from several different people.
Timed right, nobody knows what is happening until the issuing bank
bounces all except the legitimate check...

Marc

In the case I read, the innocent depositor had received a
stolen cashier's check from a foreign bank. She was very
suspicious, so she deposited the check and called her bank
several times. Unfortunately, no one at the bank really
understood the whole process. Apparently the money was
transferred into her account and the bank employees told her
it was good. Only later did they tell her that there were
more steps in the whole process.

There are lots of stories and details if you search on
"Nigerian scam" or "419 scam."

Quite apart from any personal loss, you could fall foul of the laws on
Money Laundering and leave yourself open to Criminal charges; if you pay
back the overpayment.

YMMV
Blue skies to all.