Adapting medical cannulas to work with an EDS?

Old June 24th 17, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret Hess

Default Adapting medical cannulas to work with an EDS?

On Amazon, you can buy a 50-pack for 40 cents each.
Old June 25th 17, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NG[_2_]

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 11:39:18 PM UTC-4, Bill G wrote:
Has anyone figured this out? I want to be able to have cannulas for all my clients for flying near Aspen, but $8 a pop for someone who may only use it once is pricy. I noticed medical cannulas are only about $2-3. Has anyone figured an way to adapt them to an EDS?

Thanks!

I've flown overseas where it is considered normal to just cut a medical cannula tube to double arm's length, warm up the end slightly one time, press to fit directly onto the EDS regulator fitting, done. Never had a leak or problem, attaches and releases normally, though probably not 'approved'.
Old July 3rd 17, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill G

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I like the idea of just heating it and form fitting it. Still confused in where to find a piece of right size to adapt into the EDS however. If anyone can suggest a place or knows the dimensions please post! Happy Fourth of July!!
Old July 4th 17, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 2:08:59 PM UTC-7, Bill G wrote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I like the idea of just heating it and form fitting it. Still confused in where to find a piece of right size to adapt into the EDS however. If anyone can suggest a place or knows the dimensions please post! Happy Fourth of July!!

I had trouble with 'any old cannula' on my new EDS. The old EDS (original black box) worked flawlessly no matter what or how you connected it. I put the cannula I had been using with the old one on a brand new EDS, it beeped annoyingly practically the entire flight, pulsing oxygen at seemly random intervals. Only with very deliberate breathing could it be made to stop beeping and work. The instructions specifically say to use the supplied cannula, and not to alter its length. Next day I tried the old one on the ground, it seemed to work fine. I plugged in the new one that came with it, it seemed to work fine as well. I flew the next two days with the new one and it worked flawlessly.

I'm not sure what my conclusion is other than maybe some don't work with the new EDS boxes. And try it on the ground before you fly.
Old July 4th 17, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon[_2_]

On 7/4/2017 10:26 AM, jfitch wrote:
[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

I would like to hear from EDS some logical reason why their unit won't
work with any common medical cannula. Pulse oxygen delivery technology
is very common in the medical world these days. In fact, it's become a
consumer item and I can testify that those units "just work". Further,
they have only gotten better over the last decade or so. Perhaps it's
time for EDS to update their technology?
Old July 4th 17, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Vaughn- you are being a bit harsh about Mountain High's EDS unit and the technology required. Remember that this is intended for aviation use and not Grandma in the nursing home. Delivery in a constant environment is simple, whereas delivery on an altitude compensated system where the primary objective is oxygen conservation is more complex. Medical systems are designed to provide sufficient O2 under the "more is better" protocol. MH patented the altitude compensation part of the pulse delivery system, which is why they do not have any significant competition. I say "Good on Ya! and happily utilize the products. If it takes a special cannula, well that's OK by me. It is, after all, just my brain. And I abuse it pretty regularly with beer. Spending a bit extra for my flying safety is OK. It's one thing to be cheap with wing tape, but O2 delivery is somewhat more important to me.