PCC Presentation

Old April 7th 04, 12:47 AM
Jim Vincent

Default PCC Presentation

With all the talk about doing a PCC, I thought I'd post a presentation I just
did at Tom Knauff's Safety Seminar last weekend. I know I posted this deep in
the thread on PCC, but just wanted to give it more visibility for those who did
not follow the thread.

The presentation covers PCC, CAC, preflight check lists, landing check lists,
and other check lists.

I hope you take the opportunity to review it. It might have some insights that
could be of value to you. I've received some very positive comments on it so
far.

The link is:
http://www.mymedtrans.com/personal.htm

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old April 7th 04, 01:08 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:25:13 GMT, "Vaughn"
wrote:

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message
.. .
On 06 Apr 2004 23:47:08 GMT, illspam (Jim Vincent)
wrote:

The PIC handles the controls and initiates the test for
each control surface. The assistant reports which way the surface
moves (up, down, left, right). It is up to the PIC to correlate the
reported direction of movement with what (s)he commanded.

Exactly the opposite of what I have always taught. As the PIC, I want
to be in charge of the force put on the control surface and I want to see,
hear, smell, feel that control surface through its entire movement. That
means that my assistant is moving the stick and I am walking around the
glider touching the control surfaces and looking at everything else.

I never use "up, down, left, right". I substitute "toward me" and
"away from me". Left and right are relative terms at best, and people often
get it wrong. When you move the control stick towards a control surface,
that surface alway goes up; move it away from the control surface and that
surface always goes down...no ambiguity and no error!

I use the PCC solely as a check on control function and will typically
do it directly after rigging, connecting the controls and (preferably)
after a second opinion on the connections but before taping wings etc.
This way the rigging assistants are still there to help with the PCC
and will be detained for the least time: everything after the PCC can
be done by the PIC by himself.

During PCC the calls of Left and right are only for the rudder - up
and down for the rest. Of course its relative - the assistant is not
told which way the surface will move and so has no preconceptions, but
the PIC knows which way he moved the stick and hence which way an
aileron or the elevator should move, e.g. if he moves the stick left
and the assistant doesn't report 'up' for the left aileron then
there's a problem.

I do a complete walk-round after the PCC. This covers all the stuff
you noted, tweaking control surfaces to check for play in hinges or
control circuits and making a careful visual, tactile and auditory
check of the entire exterior, cockpit and straps etc. This is never
delegated.

Following both PCC and walk-round the DI book is written up, any
defects noted and the entry signed.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old April 7th 04, 02:54 PM
Miguel Lavalle

Jim,

Excellent presentation. Thank you very much for making
it available to the whole soaring community.

I am a new pilot and recently bought a Jantar Standard
3. I am not well versed in mechanical matters, so for
the sake of safety I better ask:

My Jantar Std 3 doesn't have automatic connectors for
the ailerons and elevator. Does anybody know wheter
this conecctions are of the L'Hotellier type?

Regards

Miguel Lavalle
N5SZ

Old April 7th 04, 04:46 PM
Jim Vincent

The PIC handles the controls and initiates the test for
each control surface. The assistant reports which way the surface
moves (up, down, left, right). It is up to the PIC to correlate the
reported direction of movement with what (s)he commanded.

he PIC knows the aircraft best. He is looking to make sure that the amount of
throw is normal at the control surface, not at the stick. They do not
correlate if something is incorrectly hooked up.

The PIC and assistant should interact, rather than a one way conversation. The
person at the wing should be watching the control surface and the stick, same
with person in the cockpit.

Regarding the thought in a follow on thread where the thinking is by having the
PIC at the cockpit, he knows exactly what he is doing, I'm told of a story
where the PIC was facing into the cockpit and moving the stick left and right,
thinking he was applying aileron when he was actually doing elevator!

By the PIC at the control surface saying move the control towards me, away from
me, etc. eliminates most if not all potential failure modes and
miscommunications.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old April 7th 04, 05:14 PM
Herbert Kilian

Right on Vaughn, there seems to be an 'Atlantic Divide' regarding the
issue you are making. I've been instructed and have practiced doing
the PCC the way Jim Vincent and you explain. I've voiced concerns
about the US practice at many occasions such as daily safety briefings
during contests. Here are again the points that make me favor putting
the PIC at the control surfaces with an assistant at or better inside
the cockpit:

1. Pilot can observe the amount and direction of deflection at full
stick travel AT THE CONTROL SURFACE
2. PIC can determine amount of play at full deflection
3. He/she can apply a specific force to the controls while the
assistant holds (locks) the stick or brake handle at middle and end of
travel
4. This should be done during the outside assembly check while cirling
the glider counterclockwise BY THE PILOT
5. If you don't have a trusted assistant to move the controls, go find
or train one. There should be at least a tow pilot or a wing runner
at hand, nothing wrong with asking your spouse.
6. I would trust an assistant much more with moving the stick/controls
than having him handle the control surfaces, where is the bigger risk
for damage?
7. Kill two birds with one stone, it is very natural to move around
the glider sliding your hands over leading and trailing edges,
checking connectors, try moving the hor. stab, checking winglets and
so much more between doing the PCC tasks. At the end of the roundtrip
I am quite certain that the ship is ready to go.

Let's discuss this some more. We have here a classic situation where
reason should prevail in determining which of two methods is the best
to find and fix assembly and other problems.

Herb, J7

As the PIC, I want
to be in charge of the force put on the control surface and I want to see,
hear, smell, feel that control surface through its entire movement. That
means that my assistant is moving the stick and I am walking around the
glider touching the control surfaces and looking at everything else.

I never use "up, down, left, right". I substitute "toward me" and
"away from me". Left and right are relative terms at best, and people often
get it wrong. When you move the control stick towards a control surface,
that surface alway goes up; move it away from the control surface and that
surface always goes down...no ambiguity and no error!

Vaughn

Old April 8th 04, 07:16 AM
tango4

"Miguel Lavalle" wrote in message
Does anybody know wheter
this conecctions are of the L'Hotellier type?

Regards

Miguel Lavalle
N5SZ

Which ones? The ones on your Jantar or automatic ones?

If you mean automatic ones then things are different to 'traditional'
control runs that use 'l'hottelier' connections.

In the traditional system a series of pushrods and bellcranks transmit stick
movement from stick to surface. In some cases ( ASW20 and Grob elevator ) a
pushrod connects directly to the control surface via a hottelier and ball
joint mounted a small distance from the hinge line. In the wing control
surface connections the in wing pushrods terminated in hotteliers extend
into the fuselage and are connected to ball joints mounted on the belcrank
arms.

In 'Automatic' hook up different arrangments are made to connect things up.
For example: on Schempp elevators a 2 pronged fork, permanently connected to
the control run using bolted and secured connections, plugs into the
elevator surface. My guess is that this is about 99% certain of being done
correctly and without fault. ( I fly Schempp ships and I still DI and check
before every flight ) Some ships (DG's) have an elevator pushrod that
terminates in a 'C' shaped fitting. A roller bearing on the elevator fits
snugly into the open 'C', a reliable automatic hookup but does need
attention at assembly time.

At the wing root you get to play a different game! My Ventus uses two
different systems. The flaps are driven by a rotating 'torque' tube. The bit
in the fuselage is permanently hooked up and as the wing is fitted a very
simple 'dog clutch' connects the flaps to the drive. The Ailerons and brakes
are a devilishly clever system. On the wing root rib a bellcrank is fitted,
one arm connects to a traditional run inside the wing to the control
surface, the other arm, protruding straight out from the root rib, is
terminated in a roller bearing. The roller bearing slides into a funnel
shaped receiver in the fuselage as the wing is fitted. When the wing is in
place the fit between the bearing and the funnel or horn is reduced to zero.
The horn is permanently connected to the control system so 'voila' automatic
hookups.

Could you convert a traditional ship to automatic hookups? I suppose so
given enough time and money. Worth it? Not really. Rather spend a quiet 5
minutes before every flight going over your ship properly and making sure
everything is in order!

Ian

Old April 8th 04, 08:59 AM
Ramy Yanetz

I think the reasons people skip PCC or doing it wrong is due to the fact
that there is no consistent method and some of the methods suggested are way
too much hassle such as putting another pilot in the cockpit instead of
asking the nearest person to hold the controls. Also the suggestion that the
PIC must seat IN the cockpit doesn't make sense, since you can't see the
controls from the cockpit. Lets Keep it simple! The more complicated we make
it the less will comply. The same results can be achieved by the PIC moving
the stick while any bystander can hold the controls. See comments below.

Ramy

"Herbert Kilian" wrote in message
om...
Right on Vaughn, there seems to be an 'Atlantic Divide' regarding the
issue you are making. I've been instructed and have practiced doing
the PCC the way Jim Vincent and you explain. I've voiced concerns
about the US practice at many occasions such as daily safety briefings
during contests. Here are again the points that make me favor putting
the PIC at the control surfaces with an assistant at or better inside
the cockpit:

1. Pilot can observe the amount and direction of deflection at full
stick travel AT THE CONTROL SURFACE

The same observation can be done when standing near the cocpit.

2. PIC can determine amount of play at full deflection

Better determining amount of play at the stick when the assistant holding
the control surface at full deflection.

3. He/she can apply a specific force to the controls while the
assistant holds (locks) the stick or brake handle at middle and end of
travel

PIC can ask the assistant to apply more or less force.

4. This should be done during the outside assembly check while cirling
the glider counterclockwise BY THE PILOT

This should be done before or after the PCC according to your checklist.
Trying to do all at once is risking forgetting an item.

5. If you don't have a trusted assistant to move the controls, go find
or train one. There should be at least a tow pilot or a wing runner
at hand, nothing wrong with asking your spouse.

My spouse wouldn't even reach the rudder pedals. Should I readjust the
pedals for her or should I skip the rudder? Training one or asking the tow
pilot to leave the tow plane is not an option.

6. I would trust an assistant much more with moving the stick/controls
than having him handle the control surfaces, where is the bigger risk
for damage?

The biggest risk is to put a non pilot in the cocpit. He/she may retract the
gear instead of the spoilers!

7. Kill two birds with one stone, it is very natural to move around
the glider sliding your hands over leading and trailing edges,
checking connectors, try moving the hor. stab, checking winglets and
so much more between doing the PCC tasks. At the end of the roundtrip
I am quite certain that the ship is ready to go.

Again, this should be done separatly and not simultaniously.

Let's discuss this some more. We have here a classic situation where
reason should prevail in determining which of two methods is the best
to find and fix assembly and other problems.

I would like to hear arguments against doing a PCC the simple way - PIC
standing outside the cockpit moving stick and rudder and observing the
controls while the assistant is holding the control surfaces.
Again, the simpler it is the more likely it will be done.

Herb, J7

As the PIC, I want
to be in charge of the force put on the control surface and I want to

see,
hear, smell, feel that control surface through its entire movement.

That
means that my assistant is moving the stick and I am walking around the
glider touching the control surfaces and looking at everything else.

It is more natural to feel the controls with the stick rather than at the
control surface.