Soaring in or around Maidenhead UK

Old September 19th 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

Default Soaring in or around Maidenhead UK

I am heading to England this afternoon for work. I'll be staying in Maidenhead for about a week. If I have any free time, it would be awesome to get in the air. Can anyone recommend a place I could get some glider time in that would be relatively nearby?
Old September 19th 18, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Ramler

The nearest club would be Booker, near High Wycombe. That should be a good
choice.

At 16:01 19 September 2018, John Huthmaker wrote:
I am heading to England this afternoon for work. I'll be staying in
Maiden=
head for about a week. If I have any free time, it would be awesome to
get=
in the air. Can anyone recommend a place I could get some glider time

in
=
that would be relatively nearby?

Old September 19th 18, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Thomson[_2_]

At 16:01 19 September 2018, John Huthmaker wrote:
I am heading to England this afternoon for work. I'll be staying in
Maiden=
head for about a week. If I have any free time, it would be awesome to
get=
in the air. Can anyone recommend a place I could get some glider time

in
=
that would be relatively nearby?

https://www.gliding.co.uk/club-finder

Lasham (biggest operation in UK) and Booker are both full time

Old September 19th 18, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Stanford[_2_]

At 16:01 19 September 2018, John Huthmaker wrote:
I am heading to England this afternoon for work. I'll be staying in
Maiden=
head for about a week. If I have any free time, it would be awesome

get=
in the air. Can anyone recommend a place I could get some glider

time in
=
that would be relatively nearby?

Try Booker gliding club that's the closest.

Web site: http://www.bookergliding.co.uk

Address: Wycombe Air Park, Marlow SL7 3DP

Phone: 01494 442501

A bit further away but not mega far is Lasham Gliding Club

Or London Gliding Club at Dunstable

Cheers

Old September 19th 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

At 16:01 19 September 2018, John Huthmaker wrote:
I am heading to England this afternoon for work. I'll be

staying in
Maiden=
head for about a week. If I have any free time, it would be

awesome to
get=
in the air. Can anyone recommend a place I could get some

glider time in
=
that would be relatively nearby?

Kent Gliding Club, Challock (it's on the net), friendly club,
interesting field. Start praying now for suitable weather.

Old September 19th 18, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 5:01:12 PM UTC+1, John Huthmaker wrote:
I am heading to England this afternoon for work. I'll be staying in Maidenhead for about a week. If I have any free time, it would be awesome to get in the air. Can anyone recommend a place I could get some glider time in that would be relatively nearby?

See:

https://www.gliding.co.uk/club-finder

You will be more or less in English gliding central. Of the major clubs, Booker Gliding Club at High Wycombe is very close. Lasham Gliding Society is about 35 miles away and London Gliding Club similar in the other direction. All are good but Lasham is worth the trip just to see one of the biggest best organised clubs in the world.
Old September 19th 18, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]

On 19/09/2018 17:01, John Huthmaker wrote:
I am heading to England this afternoon for work. I'll be staying in Maidenhead for about a week. If I have any free time, it would be awesome to get in the air. Can anyone recommend a place I could get some glider time in that would be relatively nearby?

The British Gliding Association (BGA) has a Club Finder on their web site

https://www.gliding.co.uk/club-finder

Not all operate seven days a week. If you need that then the following
are the nearest

Booker Gliding Club near High Wycombe
London Gliding Club near Dunstable
Lasham Gliding Society near Basingstoke
Bicester Gliding Centre near Bicester

--

Nick Hill
Old September 19th 18, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

Great great info. Thank you everyone. Hopefully I'll get to see England from a better perspective than on the ground
Old September 19th 18, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gordon Walker[_2_]

Lasham also sports the Heritage Gliding Hangars, 2 hangars stuffed full
of vintage gliders, well worth the trip even if the weather is slightly
inclement!

Old September 19th 18, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 9:01:12 AM UTC-7, John Huthmaker wrote:
I am heading to England this afternoon for work. I'll be staying in Maidenhead for about a week. If I have any free time, it would be awesome to get in the air. Can anyone recommend a place I could get some glider time in that would be relatively nearby?

Be sure to make arrangements ahead of time. Just showing up at the field may lead to some disappointment. I had a wonderful experience at Booker a number of years ago, but had arranged contacts, etc. in advance. I also dropped by Lasham without any prior contact & was able to see their large operation, but not able to fly. Not their fault, I just hadn't made any arrangements & they weren't set up to accommodate drop-ins. Good luck and have fun.

Craig
7Q