Senators Fault Air Force on Abuse Scandal

Old October 1st 03, 09:33 PM
Otis Willie

Default Senators Fault Air Force on Abuse Scandal

Senators Fault Air Force on Abuse Scandal

(EXCERPT) Service's Leaders Defend Their Record at Contentious
Hearing, by Vernon Loeb Washington Post Staff Writer Wednesday,
October 1, 2003; Page A21

The top civilian and military leaders of the Air Force yesterday
defended their handling of the sexual assault scandal at the Air Force
Academy, saying they would have forcefully intervened to protect
female cadets much earlier if they had been made aware of serious
sexual misconduct problems at the elite military college in Colorado
Springs.

But Air Force Secretary James G. Roche, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen.
John P. Jumper and Mary L....

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 01 Oct 2003, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Sep30.html

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
Old October 2nd 03, 12:44 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 20:33:26 GMT, Otis Willie
wrote in Message-Id: :

Senators Fault Air Force on Abuse Scandal

(EXCERPT) Service's Leaders Defend Their Record at Contentious
Hearing, by Vernon Loeb Washington Post Staff Writer Wednesday,
October 1, 2003; Page A21

The top civilian and military leaders of the Air Force yesterday
defended their handling of the sexual assault scandal at the Air Force
Academy, saying they would have forcefully intervened to protect
female cadets much earlier if they had been made aware of serious
sexual misconduct problems at the elite military college in Colorado
Springs.

But Air Force Secretary James G. Roche, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen.
John P. Jumper and Mary L....

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyri

General Rosa has his hands full:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Sep30.html
October 1, 2003
When McCain asked whether Walker had removed, from her internal
review, findings about headquarters missteps in 2000 with regard
to sexual misconduct at the Academy, as alleged in a recent press
account, she said, "I don't remember."

McCain replied, "We're in the dog-ate-my-homework, not-on-my-watch
defense."

Sen. Susan M. Collins (R-Maine), questioning Roche and Walker,
ticked off a long list of reports citing sexual misconduct
problems at the academy throughout the 1990s. She asked how their
internal review could have concluded that there had been no
"systemic mistreatment" of female cadets or acceptance of attacks
by school officials.

"I can't think of a clearer pattern," Collins said, "of
institutional avoidance of responsibility."

"Stonewalling it" in the face of the facts is a foolish last-gasp
effort to forestall victim restitution, that will only further erode
USAF credibility.

--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,
Old October 2nd 03, 01:00 AM
John Penta

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 23:44:11 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

snippity

General Rosa has his hands full:

snippity

Yes...However, I think it unfair for the Army to be left leaderless
cuz the Baby Zoomies couldn't act like proper officers.

On the civ side, who's running the Army at the present time, given
that White is a goner?
Old October 2nd 03, 04:28 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 20:00:53 -0400, John Penta
wrote in Message-Id: :

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 23:44:11 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

snippity

General Rosa has his hands full:

snippity

Yes...However, I think it unfair for the Army to be left leaderless
cuz the Baby Zoomies couldn't act like proper officers.

The crime of rape is a felony.

How would you feel if it were your daughter who was raped, and it went
unpunished?

Given the fact that the Pentagon is virtually autonomous, and is not
even responsible to the DOD IG nor any other government department nor
branch, I would say withholding approval of baby Bush's nominee is the
only way Congress may be able coerce the USAF to act responsibly. If
the military continues to fail to police its own ranks, they will soon
find it being done for them.

Old October 2nd 03, 05:46 AM
John Penta

wrote in Message-Id: :

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 23:44:11 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

snippity

General Rosa has his hands full:

snippity

Yes...However, I think it unfair for the Army to be left leaderless
cuz the Baby Zoomies couldn't act like proper officers.

The crime of rape is a felony.

How would you feel if it were your daughter who was raped, and it went
unpunished?

Given the fact that the Pentagon is virtually autonomous, and is not
even responsible to the DOD IG nor any other government department nor
branch, I would say withholding approval of baby Bush's nominee is the
only way Congress may be able coerce the USAF to act responsibly. If
the military continues to fail to police its own ranks, they will soon
find it being done for them.

No disagreement. I'm as concerned about reecent events at USAFA as all
the rest of you. I am, however, also concerned about how this will
affect the other services.

John